• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, but my point is different, it's more about compounding, i.e. people treat $350 to $400k from 1990 to 2020 similar to $350 to $400k from 1970 to 2020...
I understand, but any consumer good appreciating at any rate is pretty extraordinary, was my point.

giuseppe

Reaction score
Hi.
IMG_20200124_122434_resized_20200124_115555037.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh- I didn't. I hum'd and haw'd for so long, I ended up just putting 4k into an education savings account for my 5yr old. I have 1k to play with and I think that's the range I feel comfortable. I'm still just kicking tires- teaching a couple of new courses and grad school have been busy.

Oris is high on my value proposition list...

papado

Reaction score
also $350 to $400k in 50 years is like 15.1% annualized, not as "ridiculous" as people think... (yes it's big, but not like Renaissance Tech...)

Certainly not the 60%+ after fees of 5 and 40 from RenTech but I think if we look at the past 50 years of the stock market you'd barely get 10% so that 15% annualized from a darn watch is pretty good over that time frame!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's another teacher here who wears an Oris and it's pretty nice. Do they do in-house movements?

I believe they're all decorated ETA movements, but there could be one or two outliers.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's another teacher here who wears an Oris and it's pretty nice. Do they do in-house movements?

Huge Oris fan here. I have an Aquis and just picked up a Divers 65. All ETA movements, except they have an in house manual wind movement for a line of the pilot watches, but charging a huge premium for that. You can pick up a new Oris for around $1,500 at an AD, cheaper if you go used. Retail has gone over $2,000 for several models, which is crazy since I picked my Aquis up five years ago for just under a grand.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huge Oris fan here. I have an Aquis and just picked up a Divers 65. All ETA movements, except they have an in house manual wind movement for a line of the pilot watches, but charging a huge premium for that. You can pick up a new Oris for around $1,500 at an AD, cheaper if you go used. Retail has gone over $2,000 for several models, which is crazy since I picked my Aquis up five years ago for just under a grand.

The big crown pro pilot looks amazing. I've never really been into pilot watches, but it's something pretty cool. Definitely over budget, though.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More "Patek" and AP in Hip Hop. Future & Drake "Life is Good"

Opening Chorus:

Workin' on a weekend like usual
Way off in the deep end like usual
Niggas swear they passed us, they doin' too much
Haven't done my taxes, I'm too turnt up
Virgil got a Patek on my wrist goin' nuts
Niggas caught me slippin' once, okay, so what?
Someone hit your block up, I'd tell you if it was us
Manor house in Rosewood, this **** too plush

Subsequent Chorus:

Yeah, hunnid thousand for the cheapest ring on a ***** finger, lil' *****, woo
I done flew one out to Spain to be in my domain and Audemars-ed the *****, woo
Dropped three dollars on a ring, cost a Bentley truck, lil' *****, woo
I was in the trap servin' cocaine, I ain't been the same since, woo

emptym

Reaction score
@CBrown85 , I like the black version of that Seiko:

Almost got one, but then thought that if I was going to get an black rectangular watch, I might rather have a Rado, then thought I'd might as well get an Apple watch, and in the end I didn't get any of them...

Iirc, you wanted something subtle, as a teacher, but really liked Rolex designs. Can't remember if you considered Tudor, but I teach, and I really like the one I got recently. The Philippine symbol has special meaning for me. But in general, I like how it has some claim to the oyster design (my favorite) while avoiding the negative effects that a Rolex would have in some circles. It'd be great if it had an in house movement, particularly with the durability of Rolex's, but I'm guessing the eta movement makes servicing and repairs easy and relatively inexpensive. Shouldn't be difficult to find a Tudor Prince for around $1,000 that would super versatile as it looks equally good on a bracelet or strap.

Otoh, the last couple watches you posted were dedicated dress watches. You could get a really nice vintage dress watch by Gruen, Waltham, Elgin, etc. for under $100 and save the rest for a new steel sport watch with good water resistance, like that Oris you mentioned.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads