• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emptym

Reaction score
Old shirt, new (to me) watch:

Tudor with the Philippine Airlines logo, which @chrfi has too. Been wanting one for years.

emptym

Reaction score
^Thanks for your help, B!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what i see is how i say it. Japan is awash with Rolexes. the market is full of Oysters, Datejusts,and Subs. because the culture is to get one.

then? they hit the used market. and it hits my radar.

It really depends upon the model. Depending on the model, a Rolex can be ordinary, or it can be highly desirable. To an "outsider", they're all just Rolex watches, but to someone who is interested, it can mean paying a few thousand for one model but $100,000 for another model.

I haven't spent much time looking at Rolex in Japan for some years now but on my last trip there in December-January, I looked at a shop in Ameyoko in Ueno and a few shops in Nakano (where there are quite a few second-hand watch stores).

Rolex Datejust watches are a dime a dozen, and are priced accordingly. Air Kings are also freely available. Prices are more than they used to be, but that's not that unusual as it's been years since I last looked. You can pick up Datejusts and Air Kings for a few thousand dollars and they appeared to be in good condition.

However, Rolex models such as Daytona and GMT are priced comparatively (and perhaps even higher than) overseas markets. I'm no expert in Rolex, but I was surprised to see a couple of mid-1960s GMT models priced at the equivalent of about US$90,000. I didn't realise that they were that expensive, but perhaps that's just Japan.

Similarly, with Omega you can a whole lot of watches - quartz Seamasters, automatic Speedmasters - for the equivalent of a couple of thousand dollars which is quite possibly less than you'd be paying overseas. But if you want a good vintage Speedmaster or Seamaster, you will pay the same as, or higher than, the price in overseas markets.

So, although it's not impossible that a highly desirable double-red Sea Dweller is selling for $5,000 when it would sell for the better part of 10 times that in the US, it's highly unlikely as the Japanese market tends to prize the same models that are popular and collectible overseas.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
"Tonight in the Bar.
Wrist Clocks are a win. and there will be at least one buyer."

Edit: Flagrant Drunk post. But it remains, Those vintage movements in new cases and bands were the talk of the Bar. there was one that everybody wanted. My friend, a lady in her 40's. wants to buy the Blue Rolex. She said "I want it now!!!!!" how do i find the item on my phone?
she will probably be wearing it next time we meet.

But i want the Patek one. (waiting for work Bonus. . . )
Hey, I can have a nice watch too!
It really depends upon the model. Depending on the model, a Rolex can be ordinary, or it can be highly desirable. To an "outsider", they're all just Rolex watches, but to someone who is interested, it can mean paying a few thousand for one model but $100,000 for another model.

I
haven't spent much time looking at Rolex in Japan for some years now but on my last trip there in December-January, I looked at a shop in Ameyoko in Ueno and a few shops in Nakano (where there are quite a few second-hand watch stores).

Rolex Datejust watches are a dime a dozen, and are priced accordingly. Air Kings are also freely available. Prices are more than they used to be, but that's not that unusual as it's been years since I last looked. You can pick up Datejusts and Air Kings for a few thousand dollars and they appeared to be in good condition.

However, Rolex models such as Daytona and GMT are priced comparatively (and perhaps even higher than) overseas markets. I'm no expert in Rolex, but I was surprised to see a couple of mid-1960s GMT models priced at the equivalent of about US$90,000. I didn't realise that they were that expensive, but perhaps that's just Japan.

Similarly, with Omega you can a whole lot of watches - quartz Seamasters, automatic Speedmasters - for the equivalent of a couple of thousand dollars which is quite possibly less than you'd be paying overseas. But if you want a good vintage Speedmaster or Seamaster, you will pay the same as, or higher than, the price in overseas markets.

So, although it's not impossible that a highly desirable double-red Sea Dweller is selling for $5,000 when it would sell for the better part of 10 times that in the US, it's highly unlikely as the Japanese market tends to prize the same models that are popular and collectible overseas.
You are right on all accounts. But one thing particular to Japan. more so than other markets. Is the need to have the newest, the most pristine,And to have brand recognition.
People will buy a perfectly good house, then build a new one in the same place.
-To have a new house. one that is the current style. Great for me, I can buy a family sized house for $35,000. 50% of people want a new Car. in the currently popular style.
cool, I got a Subaru Legacy twin turbo with only 16,000 kilometers on it.for $4,000. -because it had some scratches.(which are now fixed.)

Anyway, my point is. That in this culture of having the newest, and best condition things. It really is not surprising to me that a somewhat beaten up Watch has lost a bulk of it's value.
There will be guys like me. who would look past all that. and say "eh, it's quality, and i don't have to worry about scratching it, give it a clean, and put a band on it. But that is not Rolex's customer base. no, people buy Rolex here to show that they have one. a nice one. And that watch. here? has almost no appeal.

This does not include everyone. parents in their 30's are starting to embrace my way of life. "Recycle Shops" are full of us. a generation. living a wonderful life of frugality.
But don't freak out. I love watches. and will come to acquire watches that some in here can appreciate. -not to say that there are snobs. but there are 2 threads for a reason.
And dammit, I deserve nice things too. something 30's people consider. is the long term acquirement of the things we will use until old age. The "life things". And watches are a part of it.
But 5k for a Dweller?
no, give me an ornate wrist Clock, A Ball Trainmaster,A Seiko Kinetic Titanium Scuba, and my current collection of "Poor man's" watches. haha, maybe an Oyster Date, on a black leather band. as an event watch. yeah, 5k could do that. The joy is real.

And you guys are awesome.

Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few minutes on those knock-off watch forums and you'll see that they're manufacturing watches almost 1:1 now, even the movements. Someone who's particularly talented and ballsy could build some of those double-red sea-dwellers. I'd be extremely cautious of one at 5k.

ebayhtl

Reaction score

After looking at grey market prices for ages without pulling the trigger, the missus decided a Hulk was in order for Xmas - ordered one by calling in a favour with a watch fanatic friend who in turn called in a favour with a dealer...!

Seen here in Uluwatu, Bali ??

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1322314

After looking at grey market prices for ages without pulling the trigger, the missus decided a Hulk was in order for Xmas - ordered one by calling in a favour with a watch fanatic friend who in turn called in a favour with a dealer...!

Seen here in Uluwatu, Bali ??
Very nice. I like the Hulk. Unusual but not too unusual. P.S. Just spent New Years in Bali. Really enjoyed it and the contrast (Hindu) with the rest of Indonesia (Muslim)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
A few minutes on those knock-off watch forums and you'll see that they're manufacturing watches almost 1:1 now, even the movements. Someone who's particularly talented and ballsy could build some of those double-red sea-dwellers. I'd be extremely cautious of one at 5k.
come on now, this is silly. why would you 1:1 copy a rolex.
- then wear the **** out of it. and try to sell it for a local market equitable value?
non inflated prices don't mean fake.

it's almost like what you pay for a watch is more of a badge of honor than the watch itself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads