• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all. I wanted the Air King and the Sub - just not interested in the Deep Sea.
No interest in (or cash) to spare on Grey Market either...
Happy to wait it out, if and when what i want turns up at list price....
Ah, sorry, I misread your post. Still, that wouldn’t be a retailer with whom I’d be interested in doing that much business. Anyone can treat a big client well. But one day you may need a favor, and someone who treats you this way now might not be the person who comes through in a pinch. I prefer and still patronize this place that treated me well from the onset, but that is not always an option.[/QUOTE]

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, I misread your post. Still, that wouldn’t be a retailer with whom I’d be interested in doing that much business. Anyone can treat a big client well. But one day you may need a favor, and someone who treats you this way now might not be the person who comes through in a pinch. I prefer and still patronize this place that treated me well from the onset, but that is not always an option.
[/QUOTE]
I hear you Fok.
My preference is to work with a local suburban AD ( who have taken very good care of my wife over the years)..
Some of the NYC Retailers are the most level headed folks in town ( A chip on both shoulders).... just my 2 cents as a “small timer”...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because rolex will pull their AD status if it happens to often and blatantly, they can find out because the watch is registered to a customer's name and if it then pops up on the grey market they may find out. for example patek buys back watches from the grey market. watch companies usually dont like flippers for the hard to get watches. heard it from numerous sources (including my own AD) that they have to be careful who they sell to, especially for daytonas, natilus' and aquanauts of this world.
So, Rolex is punishing the natural behavior of Supreme style hype that they are creating with their distribution strategy at the same time that they are benefiting greatly from it?

Honestly, they should just do an official Supreme collaboration. The unofficial one commanded ungodly prices already, some sold for $50K, and they must be worth even more now.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judging by how many new Pepsis European Watch is offering on its website, Rolex isn't doing a very good job stopping flippers . . .

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by how many new Pepsis European Watch is offering on its website, Rolex isn't doing a very good job stopping flippers . . .

I just had a quick look and according to the watch details on their website, a few of the stainless steel GMT II models were purchased in March 2019. That seems like rather a coincidence, unless that was when the new ceramic bezel model was actually released.

On the European Watch website, they also have this listed:
Rolex-HS01-Project-X-Designs-HS01-Submariner-No-Date-Ceramic-Beze-33682-2.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this basically seems to be a frankenwatch.

"Project X" took a new standard Submariner and:
- Cut off the crown guards;
- Added a larger crown.
- Polished the beveled sides of the case;
- Applied new lume to the hands and markers; and
- Added an reddish-orange triangle to the bezel.

Now if I did that, everyone would laugh at me and no-one would want to buy my watch. But somehow, strangely, it seems that people may be willing to pay $35,000 for such a watch from Project X - something like four times the recommended retail price of a regular Submariner!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a quick look and according to the watch details on their website, a few of the stainless steel GMT II models were purchased in March 2019. That seems like rather a coincidence, unless that was when the new ceramic bezel model was actually released.

- Added a larger crown.

Now if I did that, everyone would laugh at me and no-one would want to buy my watch. But somehow, strangely, it seems that people may be willing to pay $35,000 for such a watch from Project X - something like four times the recommended retail price of a regular Submariner!
As with the Nigerian Prince scams, you're not the target market...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Added a larger crown.

Yes, basically a Frankenwatch. Not to mention, in the US, Rolex won't service this piece as it is. They will only service pieces with aftermarket or modded pieces, if you put it back to stock condition. So it would mean buying new bezel, dial, and hands...although they still might not touch it since the crown guards were cut off, thereby modifying the actual case.

I don't see the appeal of a piece like this, or the "Bamford" Rolexes or Pateks, but I'm clearly not their target audience.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
*******. I appreciate watches too. so here are some of the deals i have been perusing. .
Sea Dweller. 5k.

Whoa. . what is this?? A Rolex Clock, mounted in a watch? OMFG. Want.

Done for now. can't top that one. jeeez. . :drool:

wait. This guy is an Artist.

Oh, and plenty of Oysters at BALL and Breitling prices.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Bro. stop. This is blowing my mind.
A 1915 Patek Phillipe for $3,000!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*******. I appreciate watches too. so here are some of the deals i have been perusing. .
Sea Dweller. 5k.

As for the the Sea-Dweller, its either stolen pix, a modded dial, stolen, or something else...if its too good to be true it usually is. A real/legit double red Sea-Dweller, would be selling for a multiple of $5K.

That Patek is a fake or some other frankenwatch. Don't believe it's a real Patek, just because it says Patek on the dial or the back.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I see the yellow gold Tank, the more I want one. It's so understated.
A38BB7DF-14E4-4215-A978-24C2263C54F5.jpeg

The Tank is one of my favorite watches. The simplicity of its design allows one to wear it with casual clothes or a suit. It’s a far more versatile watch than most people think it is. I’m wearing mine today, although this is rose not yellow gold. Cheers!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
As for the the Sea-Dweller, its either stolen pix, a modded dial, stolen, or something else...if its too good to be true it usually is. A real/legit double red Sea-Dweller, would be selling for a multiple of $5K.

That Patek is a fake or some other frankenwatch. Don't believe it's a real Patek, just because it says Patek on the dial or the back.

Naw, The Dweller is real. -Has Scratches.

The large beautiful Watches are pocket watches or desk clocks fitted into a case with a band. Genius.

Imagine in a Bar. salary man says " I got a Rolex".
"Me Too".- and it's the most beautiful thing seen on a wrist.

Back in the day, i passed on a broken Patek for a Hundo. (Back Glass) and bought an Ebel instead.

eh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads