• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that it's one of Omega's more charming over-designs. I often wonder whether they have a design team at all, or whether it's just a bunch of regular staff who know various facets of watchmaking, but don't have any formal design training, throwing ideas at a wall. This is not 100% out of the question, btw. I know a number of clothing brands that pretty much do just this, with mixed results. And when I say "mixed results", it's not a euphemism. Not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes they come out with great designs like the Speedy Tuesday or the Mitsukoshi dial. Sometimes, you end up with Franklin Mint x Omega looking collaborations - which is ugly by any objective standard, and nearly unusable, but it's not going to get lost in the crowd either.

I see a lot of designs, though not usually in watches, and maybe it makes me more jaded than most. At Pitti Uomo, for example, I see so many examples of boring "good taste", that I get really, really, bored.

This watch, it probably requires some editing to be in the "good taste" category. Take away Buzz Aldrin's butt, stick that on the caseback, and get rid of the completely incoherent "11", and you have a watch that pretty much anyone would agree is beautiful. However, I have the feeling that those 100% sensible edits would make the watch much more sterile.

Agreed, especially with Buzz Aldrin's butt in a subdial. At first, I complained about the odd 11, but you honestly can't see it on the wrist. It blends in flawlessly. Ultimately, it's a "fun" piece, the only one in my collection that I can truly say that about. Everything else is, well, pretty ******* predictable.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing a classic Speedy Pro as I type this, and I genuinely love it. However, theres someone who has a signature line that says something like: "I'm holding out for the Omega limited edition to commemorate the first limited edition Speedmaster..." and they nailed it.

I do like some of the other versions of the Speedmaster, but fellas, take it easy.

omgitswes

Reaction score
Bought my first “luxury watch” today. I have a couple Seikos already that I love (SARB033 & SKX007) but this is a watch that I’ve wanted for as long as I can remember.

Datejust (16233) with a champagne tapestry dial. Thought 36mm would have been too small but I actually really dig the size

74A756C4-69F1-4920-9379-16AE9B86BF43.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought my first “luxury watch” today. I have a couple Seikos already that I love (SARB033 & SKX007) but this is a watch that I’ve wanted for as long as I can remember.

Datejust (16233) with a champagne tapestry dial. Thought 36mm would have been too small but I actually really dig the size

View attachment 1316908

36 mm is a classic size for a Datejust! Looks great! Congrats and enjoy it :cheers:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually kinda like it. It's definitely a huge step in the right direction vs. previous Bond watch, which looked like a 13-year-old boy designed it. I feel like Omega has about 50 ideas for every watch and skips the editing (especially special editions), though, that range on the spectrum of some good to extremely unfortunate. Inevitably, a few of the latter seem to often make their way through.

At a design meeting, I imagine 20 people sitting at a table brainstorming on Mountain Dew:

"So, how do you guys think we could make this Bond edition even more special?"

"...How 'bout platinum?"

View attachment 1293756

"Big escape valve. Like a BIG one, so people will know it means business."

View attachment 1293758

"Bullet on the back! You know, like James BOND, right??! He fires BULLETS."

View attachment 1293785

"007 WRITTEN OVER AND OVER AND OVER ON THE DIAL!!!! HE'S A SPECIAL AGENT AND THIS IS A SPECIAL WATCH!"

View attachment 1293784

"AN ALARM THAT GOES OFF EVERY NIGHT AT 00:07 YOU CAN'T TURN OFF THAT ANNOUNCES, 'NO TIME TO DIE!' THIS WAY, PEOPLE WILL BE SURE TO KNOW THAT IT IS NOT TIME TO DIE"

View attachment 1293791
Everything I said about the Bond special editions usually applies to their Moon special editions as well, though I'm oddly fond of the Buzz butt subdial in a "you loveable, stupid fools" type of way. If Omega ever remembers that James Bond went into space as well, we're really in for it.

View attachment 1316908
Congrats, beautiful watch. I wish more watches were made in 36mm.

omgitswes

Reaction score
Thanks! It’s funny about the size because I was dead set on buying a Panerai Luminor which is 47mm, stark difference between the two. Then I found this one for a pretty good price. Still planning on getting the Panerai eventually

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Omega ever remembers that James Bond went into space as well, we're really in for it.

Now you've given them a new idea for a Speedmaster, the 007 Moonraker Edition! It might be a bit weird since Bond started wearing Seikos in the movie before Moonraker (The Spy Who Loved Me). However, knowing Omega, they won't let that get in the way of creating another limited edition! :wink:

IronRiceBowl

Reaction score

View attachment 1316908

Patrick Bateman would be proud

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads