• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Henry Stanley had greater success finding Dr. Livingston than I had locating our very own Riva. Exiting Jakarta without a Riva or a SS Rolex or Patek sighting. Merry Christmas all!
View attachment 1304542
Ooo i know exactly where this is....are you based in Jakarta?

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just came back from Bangkok. I had the pleasure to see SS Sub, Deep sea , BLNR, Pepsi at some ADs. You must buy multiple PM for them to sell you the SS as part of the bundle. The SSE were marked as for exhibition only ! AD are quite aware of the secondary market and brought up the topic that the market price of SS Sub.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you started your relationship with your AD with a daytona? did you buy $200k worth of jewelry before that or am I missing something. congrats though you are definitely getting the hottest rolex pieces out there.

sorry what am I missing? so his mom is a VIP client at the AD? that would make a lot of sense.

Yes, Daytona was the first watch. Black dial.

If you read my previous post it's as I said, my mother just connected with my AD who liked her story. I know it sounds weird, but that's literally just how it happened. I too get along with the AD quite well and we talk watches (she used to sell JLCs and when I first went in for the Daytona I was wearing my Reverso, so she knew I was serious about watches), but she apparently told my mother that I only got the BLRO because of her. I'll be confirming that in person. :-D Seriously though, no previous relationship and my mother wouldn't spend $2k on diamonds much less $200k. Heck, I wish she would offload all of her jewelry (she has too much of it and I'm set to inherit it some day) and get a nice pair of earrings and a bracelet or watch, but neither her nor my father have any interest in a "luxury" watch. In fact I've offered my Dad my Speedy Tuesday since he's openly admired it a few times, but he's afraid to wear a watch like that. Anyway, I seriously really enjoy chatting with the AD and one of the guys who works there. First time I went we were there two hours just to get the bracelet adjusted because we were chatting so much. In fact when I go to get the bracelet sized on the BLRO in a couple of weeks I'll probably be there for a couple of hours.

I was told be a local collector/vintage dealer I'm acquainted with that part of the equation might be that my AD is the newest one in the state. The local ones by me have long established client lists. I was told by one that I was "on the list", but I've never heard back in about 16 months. I like to think I'm pleasant and all things considered obviously a serious buyer, but never heard back. The other AD, the largest in the state, actually put in an order for a BLNR a few months before they switched over to the jubilee bracelet, but he said I probably wouldn't get it despite his putting in the order. I haven't followed up since I have a relationship with my current AD.

The crazy thing is I could have had a relationship with an AD a couple years ago. I was travelling to the next state over for work and at lunch went over to an AD I noticed on the way in. Was offered a BLNR in less than a month and never followed up on it. At the time I wasn't as into Rolex because at the time I felt they were too big and "bling" with the polishing and such and I was more focused on JLC, some Speedmasters and looking to get the previous gen Rolex references. I ended up kicking myself for not grabbing that BLNR as only a couple of years later I was ready to get a current reference Rolex.

Sorry, tldr, but I'll just say that I'm fortunate to have the watches I do regardless of their availability. I just try and appreciate what I have and were I somehow left with just one of my Swatches (which I refuse to wear) and I'd be happy to have it.

Awesome - much the same for me.
Purchased 2 in April from an AD and they came through with 2 more on my list within a few months and 2 from another AD.
I sent both Christmas gifts in the hope that this may expedite a Daytona and Pepsi......No more if and when these are fulfilled.

I think it's helped that I've said "yes" to every offer thus far and that I bought the two-tone CHNR. That's not to say CNHRs are readily available, I honestly don't know, but the demand isn't as high.

I sent a Christmas gift to my AD this year too. It wasn't much, but I just added a note thanking her for taking care of my parents last Christmas. They stayed open for them on Christmas Eve as my parents had to drive about an hour and a half to get there and couldn't make it on time. Working Christmas Eve myself I understood how nice it was of them to stay a little longer. Fortunately I timed it right and my package and note arrived on Christmas Eve this year.

I hear you. I want to cull the collection a bit, but I legitimately love all of my watches. I've not tired of any of them, though I think I need to be more prudent and cut back a bit. I have this sort of weird "value" equation if you will where I divide the price of the watch by the number of years (and even days) I anticipate having it. So I've kicked around offloading 3-4 pieces in my colletion. Anyway, a few more I would like to get (not all Rolex), but I can see the light at the end of the rabbit hole.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I genuinely can't tell: is that supposed to be another one of their prank watches, or are they serious? ?
I hope it’s the former!
my initial reaction was Ebel sports wave meets older Porsche design... then omega flight master was - externally - entered into the contest.
Committee design... me thinks.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never liked the type of company which makes you buy $$££ of its products before they will deign to sell you the product you want. I understand why Rolex, Hermes, Porsche and other of that ilk do it but it puts me off. Whilst there are other similar products on the market or a flourishing nearly new market I will will happily avoid playing their game.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never liked the type of company which makes you buy $$££ of its products before they will deign to sell you the product you want. I understand why Rolex, Hermes, Porsche and other of that ilk do it but it puts me off. Whilst there are other similar products on the market or a flourishing nearly new market I will will happily avoid playing their game.
Vehemently agree.
For the number of watches, selling at premium over rrp or suffering limited availability, that I am interested in it makes more sense to move on or swallow the occasional premium on the resale market.
To drop many many thousands of dollars on, what would become, safe queens - makes little sense.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t blame Rolex; it’s just certain dealers who are doing it.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t blame Rolex; it’s just certain dealers who are doing it.
I don’t think peeps are blaming the manufacturers (though, constraints of supply is another topic).
AD’s run with too much autonomy with regard to banking sales. Spend X over period X and we will try to guarantee X... retailers so often fail this demand and supply application.
Key to supply? Without devaluation?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they were widely available rolex wouldn't have the demand that it does. It's a pick your poison kind of deal. I highly doubt people are so enthralled with the snoopy speedmaster because they like snoopy enough to pay 15k over retail. Unobtaninum moves the market. Hulks once sat in display cases waiting for the right buyer. Now they fly out of the safes....is what it is.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they were widely available rolex wouldn't have the demand that it does. It's a pick your poison kind of deal. I highly doubt people are so enthralled with the snoopy speedmaster because they like snoopy enough to pay 15k over retail. Unobtaninum moves the market. Hulks once sat in display cases waiting for the right buyer. Now they fly out of the safes....is what it is.

If a Snoopy was available for list price, I would buy one. I like Speedmasters and my daughter is obsessed with Snoopy, so she would love it. With that said, even paying list for a watch is hard for me and buying based on current prices would likely lead me to stroke out.

Rolex and Patek leading the unobtanium charge is actually pushing me towards vintage and lower priced brands, despite having the money to buy more expensive pieces. The engineered scarcity doesnt sit well with me and turns me off the perpetrators, even if I understand it from a business standpoint.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Daytona was the first watch. Black dial.

If you read my previous post it's as I said, my mother just connected with my AD who liked her story. I know it sounds weird, but that's literally just how it happened. I too get along with the AD quite well and we talk watches (she used to sell JLCs and when I first went in for the Daytona I was wearing my Reverso, so she knew I was serious about watches), but she apparently told my mother that I only got the BLRO because of her. I'll be confirming that in person. :-D Seriously though, no previous relationship and my mother wouldn't spend $2k on diamonds much less $200k. Heck, I wish she would offload all of her jewelry (she has too much of it and I'm set to inherit it some day) and get a nice pair of earrings and a bracelet or watch, but neither her nor my father have any interest in a "luxury" watch. In fact I've offered my Dad my Speedy Tuesday since he's openly admired it a few times, but he's afraid to wear a watch like that. Anyway, I seriously really enjoy chatting with the AD and one of the guys who works there. First time I went we were there two hours just to get the bracelet adjusted because we were chatting so much. In fact when I go to get the bracelet sized on the BLRO in a couple of weeks I'll probably be there for a couple of hours.

I was told be a local collector/vintage dealer I'm acquainted with that part of the equation might be that my AD is the newest one in the state. The local ones by me have long established client lists. I was told by one that I was "on the list", but I've never heard back in about 16 months. I like to think I'm pleasant and all things considered obviously a serious buyer, but never heard back. The other AD, the largest in the state, actually put in an order for a BLNR a few months before they switched over to the jubilee bracelet, but he said I probably wouldn't get it despite his putting in the order. I haven't followed up since I have a relationship with my current AD.
amazing, good to hear that good ADs are still out there and especially ones that appreciate watch lovers vs. selling out the back to the grey market dealers (at least that's a horror story I always hear).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the new Moser, but not at just under $40K. If they came out with a similar looking three-hander that was around $20K, I think it would be a winner.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the new Moser, but not at just under $40K. If they came out with a similar looking three-hander that was around $20K, I think it would be a winner.
I can't read that name on SF without thinking of @edmorel

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads