• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this in the window of the Seiko boutique and had to go in for a proper look: platinum with hand-painted porcelain dial, and Spring Drive movement with design contributions by Philippe Dufour. Quite something.

View attachment 1164855

View attachment 1164856
Riva owns this and possibly the previous version iirc, and posted many photos here. A bit plate sized unfortunately...

Lumaca

Reaction score
Trying out this combo, LBM-Uniqlo-Rolex 20190423_172804.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this in the window of the Seiko boutique and had to go in for a proper look: platinum with hand-painted porcelain dial, and Spring Drive movement with design contributions by Philippe Dufour. Quite something.

View attachment 1164855

View attachment 1164856

I'm a big fan of GS, and that caseback is gorgeous, but that dial is a bit soulless to me. I'm sure its finished beautifully and is probably nice in person, but it just looks kind of meh in all the pictures I've seen.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This or that?

I'm considering buying a white gold, manual wind, time only dress watch to wear with a tuxedo. (Yes, I know about the "rule" against wearing watches with black tie, but this is 2019 and glancing at your watch is much less obtrusive than pulling out a cell phone.) This will hopefully be my last watch purchase for awhile. The two that are at the top of my list right now are:

1) The Lange Saxonia Thin https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-lange-sohne-saxonia-thin-37mm-week-on-the-wrist

2) The H. Moser & Cie Endeavour Small Seconds http://contrapante.com/watches/h-moser-cie-endeavour-small-seconds/

Just those 2? The Lange.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I'll throw in a suggestion of checking out Piaget. Especially a pre-loved version...Altiplanos are quite nice on the wrist, and the more recent two-hand models are sized at 38mm I think.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riva owns this and possibly the previous version iirc, and posted many photos here. A bit plate sized unfortunately...

No Mark Cho of The Armoury had the elusive 1st iteration which is 1 of 5 known to be outside Japan. I only have 2 pieces of this common, probably 100 pieces made, non LE.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch question here. Apart from the Omega Speedmaster Pro, is there another modern watch which is both handwound (I want something more robust than an automatic - my mainsprings keep getting tangled) and has an acrylic crystal?

Or is there something vintage that has modern a movement. I've been looking for an Omega DeVille chronograph in gold plate - a 145.018, but haven't found one in good condition at a toelerable price. I want something that would be reasonably easy to repair - I don't really want to be sending my watch off for 6 months at a time back to the manufacturer.

I'm not sure if this question has been sufficiently answered but I'll submit the Heuer '64 re-editions to the group. Acrylic crystal, tritium lume and near-exact recreation of the 1960s Heuer cases but with a Lemania 861 (same as the 90's Speedmasters) movement. Can easily be had under 3K and has both silver and black variants. Mine seen here on Hodinkee taupe strap.

There is also a solid gold variant usually 4-5kish

Heuer_CS3111-1.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this question has been sufficiently answered but I'll submit the Heuer '64 re-editions to the group. Acrylic crystal, tritium lume and near-exact recreation of the 1960s Heuer cases but with a Lemania 861 (same as the 90's Speedmasters) movement. Can easily be had under 3K and has both silver and black variants. Mine seen here on Hodinkee taupe strap.

View attachment 1165353
Oh, that I like.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, that I like.

I'm a big fan, I end up wearing it more than my modded FOIS even! Here's a good article on the Heuer and the variants: https://www.calibre11.com/heuer-carrera-1964-re-edition/ (according to this I stand corrected, it has the Lemania 1873, which is even more modern in architecture and should be serviceable forever). There are some nice, rattle-y BOR bracelets on ebay to fit the vintage vibe too. And here's a great article about the origin of the species
http://www.chronomaddox.com/heuer/articles/carrera_article/_carrera_pt1.html#In_The_Beginning:

I own far more expensive watches than this, but pound for pound, this think packs as much wearing joy as watches that cost 10x it (for me anyway).
OmegaFOIS1.jpg

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan, I end up wearing it more than my modded FOIS even! Here's a good article on the Heuer and the variants: https://www.calibre11.com/heuer-carrera-1964-re-edition/ (according to this I stand corrected, it has the Lemania 1873, which is even more modern in architecture and should be serviceable forever). There are some nice, rattle-y BOR bracelets on ebay to fit the vintage vibe too.

I own far more expensive watches than this, but pound for pound, this think packs as much wearing joy as watches that cost 10x it (for me anyway).
What reference is that exactly and what did you do to it. The alpha hands, but anything else?

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1165353

Whoa I really like that! Got me browsing those now...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't mod the Tag, I modded the Omega 'First Omega in Space' Speedmaster to make it closer to Wally Shirra's original

Sorry for the poor use of antecedents. I meant the FOIS. Just read the Watchuseek thread and that is cool. Unusual mod, right? I've never seen it. I recently had the opportunity to get a pretty good condition pre-Moon watch at a decent price, but unfortunately, just have other things to do with money right now. If you don't mind me asking, how much would a dial like that cost, even if it were available?

I've been looking at vintage Carreras and Autavias. I love the pillow shaped cases and dials of those old sports watches, but I'm also super apprehensive about getting one right now because of the hassle of maintenance and potential for not being able to get them repaired or serviced in a timely fashion. I still have old IWCs that are running like we are in a much smaller orbit around the sun.

I know that some guys are great at sending things away for service promptly, and then waiting patiently for them to come back, but I'm simply not that guy. I am terrible at sending things out, and impatient at getting them back. If I own it, I want to be able to use it, even if I don't...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The keys to own vintage watches are: (1) have a large enough collection that you don't miss any one watch when you send it out for service; and (2) don't sweat accuracy so long as the watch is within +/- 30 seconds/day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads