1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. atia2

atia2 Senior Member

Ha, a far more pleasant backdrop than mine! I do enjoy the yellowing of the silver dial in the right light.

2. Sandwich

Sandwich Well-Known Member

I thought I would share what is my first "serious" watch. Until recently I had no interests in watches only owning a simple quartz Longines I occasional wore with suits. But after some recent professional good fortune, and wanting to buy something to commemorate my upcoming first born, I decided I would finally look into getting a suitable watch. Oh boy, I didn't realize what I was in for and fell head first into the rabbit hole. I considered among others - the IWC Mark VIII (blue dial), used Rolex Submariner, Omega Seamaster Aquaterra, Bell & Ross BR123/BR126, Omega Speedy Pro, and the Stowa Marine. After lurking on multiple forums, many visits to various midtown stores, and trying on many different watches I finally settled on the classic Omega Speedmaster Professional. The primary reason was because I simply really liked the way it looked - I felt that it is very well proportioned, the right size on my wrist, has what I felt was a vintage feel without looking dated, and was dressy enough for my general business casual dress. Though I found the history of watch certainly really cool - I didn't focus on it until after I had my heart set. Since wearing it I now find the urge to know the time a dozen times per hour and time just about everything.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Following pictures are of the unboxing since the packaging is on fire!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016

3. atia2

atia2 Senior Member

@Sandwich it's a great choice. I tried on some Speedmasters in an Omega shop in London a few weeks ago. Seeing them online, I found them unremarkable. However, they are different in the flesh. The classic Professional transcends the other versions, in my opinion. It is superbly finished: I had no appreciation for how fine the lettering on the dial and bezel are. A thing of beauty. Omega has also resisted the trend towards obscenely large watches, with the result that it is indeed very well proportioned, even on my womanly wrist. But what I like most about it is its simplicity and functionality: the plain white hands against the black dial make reading the time as effortless as it should be. I preferred it on the black leather strap, but like you I would buy it on the bracelet. Leather can be added more cheaply afterwards, and with greater choice if you are happy for it not to bear Omega's mark. Congratulations on your acquisition.

I would love one myself, but funds dictate I am a one watch man at present. I am, however, considering a second hand Reduced (comparison pic below) as an alternative to the Pro, after someone mentioned it here a week or so ago. The smaller size would work for me, and I can't believe how cheap they are!

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy of Fratello Watches. Reduced on left.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016

4. Sandwich

Sandwich Well-Known Member

@atia2 I couldn't agree with you more. I initially found the Speedy Pro to be unremarkable when viewed online, but very different on the wrist. The Reduced is a great value if you can make it work. My wrist is around 8" so I'm better suited with the 42mm version.

5. tricky

tricky Distinguished Member

The Speedy Pro will definitely make its way to my collection at some point. It's a beautiful watch and the only Omega that really draws me.

I don't love it on the steel bracelet but it's a beauty on nato and leather straps. I only wish I could have a Mitsukoshi or that the parts for a Mitsukoshi conversion could still be purchased through Ofrei.

6. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

Great choice! I love mine and it feels so good on the wrist. And the classic Speedy Pro is definitely the way to go! Enjoy it in good health and realize that it is the gateway drug into a whole 'nother world!

7. JezeC

JezeC Distinguished Member

Are prices creeping up for the Rolex 16710?

I noticed that the prices for the 16710 is a bit erratic - some go for $5k and some go for $7k.

In your opinion, how much would a Z serial no holes 3185 movement (06-07 production), full kit be worth? Is $6,500 reasonable? It's in good condition and runs great, but no servicing history.

8. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior Member

^From what I've seen - yes, that's a good price. A lot of people target the same years and movement, most are heading north of 7k.

9. JezeC

JezeC Distinguished Member

Sorry, I meant $7.5K

10. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior Member

^Ah yes, that makes more sense. I think 7.5k is becoming the going rate for that specific watch but if you're patient you might be able to do a little better, but I wouldn't expect to see much better.

11. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

To be fair albeit to myself I wasn't factoring in service costs when I was commenting on value. Still I think it's a great point that doesn't seem to get enough press if you will when it comes to owning a watch. In fact I've read more here on TWAT as regards servicing and the related costs, etc then I have anywhere else. I think the majority of buyers, especially new buyers, don't consider that they may have to spend hundreds if not a thousand dollars or so to get the watch serviced every so many years if they're going to keep it in good running condition without taking a chance on having other issues. Anyway, just another point in the "buy what you love" column as opposed to buying as a potential investment.

Yeah, I actually like it and from the other photos I've seen it looks even nicer than in that photo. Also, JLC will be releasing a couple more Magritte Reversos in the next couple of years which should be nice. Still unless I had money to burn or unless I was a big Magritte fan I wouldn't buy one. It's going to be quite limited and while JLC in my opinion doesn't charge a big premium for special editions, a similar Reverso to this one was marked up quite a bit.
    I would want to try one on before buying myself. I too have a 7" wrist and think the 35 would be better based on my taste, but I wouldn't want it to look too small.

Agreed on the date making the watch look a bit more casual. I too agree that this is a good thing to an extent. The watch sounds dressier in person than what it seems to me online, but I do like the fact that you can dress it up or dress it down depending on the strap you wear. Anyway, I wasn't kidding about not liking date windows. I didn't even find Hodinkee's April Fools joke this year funny. [​IMG] On your Orion though I think it works really well.

Like I said, that's the Nomos I've been looking at of late and one three at most that I would consider. Interestingly enough I was reading how it's one of the most/the most popular watch with Nomos employees.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Take my comments regarding how dressy the watch is with a grain of salt. Remember, they're coming from someone who has been wearing a Stowa Marine Original as his dress watch and who generally does not like traditional dress watches.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Yes, many people who don't really follow watches but bought a nice piece to wear for everyday, without considering service...tend to get really pissed off when they learn of service costs. I recall an ex-girlfriend's friend telling me that her mom had a Rolex purchased in the early 70's, but that it keeps terrible time. When I asked when it was last serviced, she said it hadn't been, but that the cost of servicing it was more than what she had paid for it brand new, and they thought that was ridiculous. When I told her it was is like a car that has never had an oil change, but that it was also worth more at that time then when they had bought it new, it seemed take the wind out of her sails, about expensive watches being wasteful junk that don't keep good time.

14. Imyouricecreamman

Imyouricecreamman Senior Member

subscribed!

Great stuff in this thread.

15. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior Member

Anybody have any bidding/buying advice in regards to buying a watch from one of the large auction houses?