• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, any 5-digit Rolex in steel is going to be among the best watches available for wearing.

If you like the look and the price is fair, I doubt you’d regret going for the YM. It’s uncommon by Rolex standards and different enough from your Explorer that it wouldn’t be redundant, yet it offers the same no-stress, wear-while-doing-anything ownership proposition. About the only thing to note is that the platinum bezel is a bit of a ***** to refinish, so make sure it hasn’t suffered a bad polishing job.

Also, the pricing on them hasn’t gone as mental as the other sports models yet, so you’re getting a lot of watch for the money considering the current market.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the 16622. As one of the less-loved sports Rolex references, it can be bought for a song on the secondary market. It also had a relatively short run before being discontinued, so there is some sleeper potential to be a future classic. (The 1655 Explorer II wasn't popular in its day, for example.) It isn't a dress watch or even a tweener, however. I think a Datejust might suit your needs better.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about 114300?

did you get one of these? i went for the explorer in the end and i'm glad i did, but was really torn.
wondering if i can justify a sinn 556i as well just to scratch the itch

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about 114300?
did you get one of these? i went for the explorer in the end and i'm glad i did, but was really torn.
wondering if i can justify a sinn 556i as well just to scratch the itch
I actually really like this and feel a little bit opposite, maybe this would have suited me better than the 214270. Especially now that I have a PAM1312

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a (first-world) problem and I need your guys' help.

My fiancee's parents are insisting on buying me a watch as a gift, and I am pretty lost. I need to get something "nice," but also relatively modest. I am guessing my budget should be approximately between 1-3k USD in order to not over or undershoot their gesture. I realize this is a difficult price range. Another caveat: no vintage or used; must be new (cultural thing).

My 3 options, in various price ranges are the following:

Stowa Flieger 38 ($1000)
29281162855_ff75aae5d0_b.jpg

Nomos Tangente 35 ($1500)
NOMOS-Tangente-101-Minimatikal-1.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Professional ($3500)
e9f48c80206908ecec9b54a2a2a9f751_large.jpg

I am not a watch nerd and do not plan on building a large collection, so I want something versatile that goes with my mostly casual contemporary style. I'd prefer an automatic, but I could probably get used to a manual and think I would grow to like it. I am pretty open minded and would appreciate any suggestions. I know the above choices aren't exactly creative, but I don't feel compelled to be. In the long run, I will probably save up to buy a Rolex GMT or Daytona, but here we are for now.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My fiancee's parents are insisting on buying me a watch as a gift, and I am pretty lost. I need to get something "nice," but also relatively modest. I am guessing my budget should be approximately between 1-3k USD in order to not over or undershoot their gesture. I realize this is a difficult price range. Another caveat: no vintage or used; must be new (cultural thing).

My 3 options, in various price ranges are the following:

Stowa Flieger 38 ($1000)

Nomos Tangente 35 ($1500)

Omega Speedmaster Professional ($3500)

I am not a watch nerd and do not plan on building a large collection, so I want something versatile that goes with my mostly casual contemporary style. I'd prefer an automatic, but I could probably get used to a manual and think I would grow to like it. I am pretty open minded and would appreciate any suggestions. I know the above choices aren't exactly creative, but I don't feel compelled to be. In the long run, I will probably save up to buy a Rolex GMT or Daytona, but here we are for now.

Of that list, the Speedmaster is by far the stand out. Without disrespecting the other two, there just isnt much to be said about the difference in historical significance, etc, blah, blah. I also happen to think its just an amazing watch and was for me personally, the first watch who's name I knew. With that being said, get whatever watch you want. Realistically, you cant ever sell it, so you better make sure you like it. If allowing them to pick something for you isnt an option, then I would spend a lot of time figuring out what you want, and if possible, try everything on in person. Watches I thought I would adore have left me flat in person and things I never looked at twice have stunned in person.

Enjoy your new watch whatever you get and congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Out of those three...Speedy. Without a doubt.

Disclaimer: This is coming from a guy that knows very, very little about watch movements, history, and all the other little intricacies you can get lost in...but I do have a Speedy :)

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did you get one of these? i went for the explorer in the end and i'm glad i did, but was really torn

i did not. i was going to pull the trigger on cartier tank louis 100th anniv from chrono24 but decided no new watches until our my student loans paid off. we still have a good amount left but hopefully we can pay them all off in 2 or 3 years. having a baby about 2 years ago pushed everything back. paying almost 40k a year just on nanny...

i'd say speedy pro hesalite if you can find one for around 3500

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Darkside: I think a Tudor would fit your style and price range very nicely. The Black Bay 58 at slightly above your estimated price ceiling is a current watch enthusiast darling.

https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also recommend checking out European Watch Company on Newbury Street. EWC is primarily known as a reseller of high-end vintage watches, but they carry new and like new watches as well.

https://www.europeanwatch.com/

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Darkside seconding the speedmaster, it's a great watch and i think it'd work well with your wardrobe. it's also a good recommendation as a 'one watch' because it suits pretty much any strap/nato, so you can change the look every now and then.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of that list, the Speedmaster is by far the stand out. Without disrespecting the other two, there just isnt much to be said about the difference in historical significance, etc, blah, blah. I also happen to think its just an amazing watch and was for me personally, the first watch who's name I knew. With that being said, get whatever watch you want. Realistically, you cant ever sell it, so you better make sure you like it. If allowing them to pick something for you isnt an option, then I would spend a lot of time figuring out what you want, and if possible, try everything on in person. Watches I thought I would adore have left me flat in person and things I never looked at twice have stunned in person.

Enjoy your new watch whatever you get and congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

couple of thoughts: i wholeheartedly agree with the observation that what works IRL is certainly different and most often preferred to a glossy publication or off a laptop screen. but here we are!

i disagree with the historical significance thing - i think generally we seem to be sort-of-maybe in between emerging ethos' in material culture and this is a very compelling consideration imo. what makes a watch worth my regard? your regard? i'd lean towards a new platform since this is in an way funny money so a good chance to stretch out, support new design and embrace the future. $.02.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Darkside - I'm guessing that they are not watch people either. I would definitely choose the Speedmaster. Omega is apparently the second most recognizable watch brand after Rolex, and I am sure that they want to get you something that is a recognized quality that looks good for them, and not just to a bunch of watch nerds. Are they Asian, because in that case, double down on the Speedy with the big box presentation. At least in Chinese culture, that stuff is important in giftgiving. Finally, the manual movement is pretty robust,and I'm actually quite enjoying the daily ritual of winding my watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics