Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

To my mild surprise my wife prefers the 31mm Datejust w/ jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. We tried on some things this weekend and she loved that version. She's taking a few days to think it over before we pull the trigger. And, I didn't even have to convince her that I needed a Sub for myself... good times. I'll post a pic once acquired!

2. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I suppose there are things related to the finishing on that movement that appear well executed and others that may appear as only so/so.
    To me the beveled edges, although nice, seem not perfect.
    The surface underneath appears bead blasted. meh...
    Some of the components are unfinished.
    I am not a watchmaker, nor do I even know all of the watch specific finishing terminologies, so take my input with a grain of salt.
    I am however an engineer who spent a 7 years as a machinist while in school prior to graduating, so I have some knowledge of the basic methods here.

3. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Disappointed that a tri-compax won out. Then again, I didn't vote. A portend of things to come this November.

4. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

That's not a tri-compax. This is counter-intuitive, but a tri-compax has four sub-dials.

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Oh neither am I, really. Just referring to a previous discussion, and then taking a punt on this one: to be more specific about my ignorant first impression, it looks like a lot of work has gone into it to make it pretty. But, it doesn't project to me the kind of other-worldly precision that I get from looking into a Lange. That might be my own positive prejudice, and is certainly from a position of limited knowledge.

What I feel when I look at the decoration on the plates and the anglage is something homely, artisanal and hand-crafted, and what I don't see (I could be wrong), is tiny chamfering on the teeth of the wheels to reduce friction and wear. A difference of perspective. It's just a feeling, and I don't know anything about the watch in question. But as I hinted in my first post, I thought I'd just start the ball rolling by shooting from the hip and wait for someone to set me straight. I'm still there. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

6. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Ah, gotcha - thanks. I'll leave it open for a bit and then share the make / model.

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Red, white and blue palette seems fitting for primary day here in NY. It has been a great first three months of owning this 1675. I have found it to be exceptionally versatile.

[​IMG]

Edit: sorry guys, dont know how to resize the image so I have put spoiler tags around it.

8. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Thanks for the point of clarification.

9. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

This guy has been getting lots of wrist time lately.

[​IMG]

10. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been a few years since I've posted on Styleforum(I had some good laughs looking back at my 22yo self), but I've lurked in this thread plenty. Feels good to finally be able to contribute...

Had this for little less than a month now and I couldn't be more in love. I was celebrating my engagement in Paris with my fiance and sort of "impulse" bought this. I had always admired and longed after the Pelagos, but had never planned to pick one up. Walking around, I started peering through watch shop windows pointing out the watches I loved and my fiance could see the twinkle in my eye. I was hesitant to finally pull the trigger, but with the 1-2 combo of her encouragement and the VAT refund I finally went for it.

I tried on many(too many, if you ask the fiance) watches, but ultimately settled for the Pelagos because I loved the casual matte look and the idea of owning Tudors first movement. Despite the above pictures, I've been wearing it on the bracelet 95% of the time. I've never been much of a bracelet guy and i expected to swap it out right away, but it wears incredibly nicely and the spring setting on the clasp is very comfortable.

Ultimately, I'm ecstatic that I purchased this as my first watch because its something that I can see myself wearing for years and years.

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Incoming...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dcg

dcg Senior member

Congrats! Nothing quite like buying your first "real" watch. Wishing you many years of enjoyment. I like what Tudor's doing lately...Black Bay black may be in my future at some point.

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Beautiful - love it!

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

15. Winot

Winot Senior member

Don't I know it [​IMG]

Where did you find it @dcg?