1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Sorry, I should clarify, those are all the choices I'm going between in my head! I think the question is where do I want to go next and nothing rises to the top and shouts at me to be the first purchase.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

For those that aren't fans of the classic round dial paired with the Tortue/ barrel shaped case there is also this version. The Tortue single pusher chronograph may not be for everyone, but its movement is simply amazing. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

3. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

If you remember from the last days of the old thread I had posted about Chrono24 deal that I had lost my patience with. One of the reasons I had lost patience with it was the simple fact that the watch I wanted was available in the US for a better price and I still didn't have a clear cut idea of when the original seller would get it together. Thankfully everybody agreed that it was for the best to cancel the transaction and the next day I was able to buy something I've been in love with for a long time, a Glashuette Original Seventies. The watch I was going to buy was on the rubber strap for $700 more than this one on the bracelet. I actually plan to wear it on the rubber quite a bit and conveniently, the rubber strap + deployant clasp happen to cost right around $700, so its basically like I got the bracelet thrown in for free. Not a huge fan of dates (or "day-counters" as sometimes referred to on TWAT), but if you're going to have a date, having one of the best implementations of a grand date is a great way to go.

I really do love this watch and the way it wears, its a bit chunkier than something like a Royal Oak, but the sapphire caseback is curved to lay nicely across the wrist. A lot of manufacturers could learn a thing or two about bracelet micro adjustments from GO. As a steel sports watch in the Rolex, Royal Oak type of vein, I think its an interesting alternative, but the price of it new just seems out of wack to me. As much as I love the watch, there is no way I would ever have considered paying the $9.5k to 10.5k they ask for them new. Even the standard grey market price seems makes for a strange value proposition. I'm not afraid of paying close to retail for something if I really like it, but I couldn't wrap my head around the normal pricing for this.

That said, I'm completely thrilled I scored one at the right price. It makes a nice everyday companion for my more casual Panerai and my more formal Nomos and appeals to me quite a bit more than the Blue 39mm Oyster Perpetual that it is essentially replacing. Happy to say that I don't have any other watches on my radar right now, will be interested to see how long this lasts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Enjoy the "honeymoon", pmeis.

When it comes to GO, I think I'd be more of a Sixties kind of guy (LOL) .... but I'm glad to hear that you got yourself a nice deal-- and more importantly, that it feels right on your wrist.

You've definitely got three very different shapes and sizes there to mix things up.

:slayer:

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Just thought I'd pop in here as an admin and thank the TheWAT community for being so supportive of the move to a new thread and to @mimo in particular for the great job he did on the introductory post.

Cheers,

Fok.

6. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Officially blessed, then.

+1 more on the shout-outs to mimo.

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1.

@mimo - great FAQ. Just read it all.

A somewhat trivial question, perhaps - Why was this originally named "Part Three" and now it is "Part Two"?

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hahah dayum @Keith T - just read the meme on your profile pic. Why "In Memoriam" to our erstwhile Princess?!?

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

LOL just seemed like interest has cooled lately in The Upton. Although I remain a fan :D

I'm sure others may have their own preferences. But hey, I'm all for a little tangent now and then to discuss the finer points of swimsuit models. (Spoilers accordingly, please!)

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

My mistake, was in a hurry and thought we already refreshed it once. Must have been thinking of another one.

Also, I still have little interest in Ms Upton or her udders. I would rather look at the back of a Lange than the front of a Hublot

11. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Well, in that case.... (NSFW)
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

12. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Back to some 44mm pammy love!.

Ohh by the way, something special is coming on friday!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  13. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

[​IMG]

I think I've found my One Watch. I have no desire to wear any of my others anymore (not that I really have an extensive collection), and can't really think of finding another one in the future to supplant it.

14. apropos

apropos Senior member

You classy, classy guy. :slayer:

[​IMG]

:cool:

15. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

:inlove: