1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    Daaaaaam, that firebird...Awesome. That looks like a craftsmanship level as good as anything from early 19 C.. Almost unheard of in modern manufacturing.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

3. Medwed

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

That's been the speculation for a while now. I heard a while back that they were doing a somewhat limited edition anniversary Speedy and then a really limited edition version.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

I don’t think the pool of buyers is the same. An Omega fanboy with deep pockets will want the original, not a reissue. Or maybe both—one for safekeeping and one for regular wear.

6. Scuppers

Scuppers Active Member

Deep pockets are not really required - 321s don’t sell for much relative (at all) to some of the silly contemporary Ltd Eds.
    Not sure what the production quotas were, but it does seem strange that a near mint pre-69 (rather 68) tends to sell for 11-14k USD

7. Medwed

11,ooo ? The only thing that can make such purchase less stupid is a bigger fool willing to pay more.

8. Scuppers

Scuppers Active Member

Indeed! Considering a 321 seamaster can be had for 2.5-3k USD

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that it's a dumb price as well, but let's remind ourselves that anything above a $300 watch is a probably considered a foolish, or at least frivolous, purchase, and any suit over $800, any pair of shoes over the same, etc... and you are dealing with highly diminishing returns.\

On that note, I just found out that a remodeling project on my house is bidding over the original estimate (we had some additional requests) at pretty much exactly the amount I had stashed away in my discretionary income fund for frivolous watch purchases :fu:

10. LA Guy

What does seem strange is that Omega somehow hasn't caught onto the fact that what people really seem to want are Panda and reverse Panda dial Speedies.

11. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

I'm pretty sure they do. Just waiting to release another LE.

12. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

They just did a reverse Panda dial Speedy just two years ago with the first Speedy Tuesday. If you like Speedy Pros and you want a reverse Panda dial you won't be disappointed with that one.

13. LA Guy

I like it, but the upcharge on them is silly. I'll wait.

14. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

There’s also the Tokyo Olympic Speedmasters that have panda dials in various colors other than black and white. Again those come with a premium unless you can get one from Tokyo.

15. LA Guy

Yeah, okay, but I really don't like Sapphire, and those have both sapphire crystals and casebacks, so unfortunately, a pass for me. I actually like the Speedy Tuesday one better.