1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

These responses summed it all. Instead of recommending real quality watches like a JLC or GO we get names like fashionable but overpriced and shit quality Cartier, the usual characterless Rolex, and of course the worst of the Germans. I suspect a lack of experience in the other brands play a role.

2. Riva

Oh no what have you done? You must promptly apologize to their wives.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Well if it isn't everyone's favorite "Tasteless Trillionaire Bragger." What a joy to hear from you.

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm quite familiar with the brands you mentioned, but so what. GO, good workmanship packed inside some of the most boring designs...oh and their Pano line, merely the ugly step sister of the Lange 1. I really like JLC, in terms of workmanship and value, but the Master line only has a few pieces I like, all of which are beyond the recommended budget. I actually prefer the Reversos, but not everyone likes a rectangular watch. The carriage for the rotating watch case, is flat and doesn't fit everyone's wrist comfortably, and sadly many have become too large and thick (with the exception of the 1931 Tribute pieces). Not to mention, the ones I'd recommend are again not within the suggested budget.

But perhaps you can help out by suggesting some of the amazingly forgettable pieces from your own unimpressive collection. I mean after all you have learned the art of putting your boring watches on very colorful straps to demonstrate that one can put lipstick on a pig...and have a very colorful pig.

4. roomiller

roomiller Senior Member

Meant to post this hours ago but apparently missed send.

I just checked the conversion rate and I’m truly shocked how low it is. I wish I was in London now as opposed to when it was $1.50.

As for watches:

Bb58(I’ve heard rumors that they do exist)
    Heritage chrono
    A gaggle of speedy styles(but please don’t let him buy a reduced)
    You can likely find a used reverso in that range?
    People seemed to like the new JLC sector dials. Though someone here, maybe Belligero had very strong feelings about the fonts.
    Some of the Nomos are truly lovely.

5. roomiller

roomiller Senior Member

I know. We’re all such idiots and I try to stop them, but when a man with too much money in his pockets gets his heart set on something, he’s impossible to stop.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

I love my Nomos Tangomat GMT which no one has mentioned yet but I believe meets all the criteria depending on how you define “sporty.”

I have a few others in that range - Explorer and Speedy, in particular - but those are more widely know and owned. This Nomos is sneaky good.

upload_2018-12-15_19-48-38.jpg

7. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

Clearly store bought buns from a plastic bag. No thanks. People think they've had good bbq right up until the time they have actually good bbq and their life changes...

8. Riva

I am truly disappointed as if you have reached enlightenment you'll realize that all watches are boring unless we're talking painted dials and other art pieces. There's only so much one can tweak a round flat surface with 3 hands. You kept yapping about why certain watches are better based on aesthetics alone disregarding quality inside out. The same reason you chose to belittle my collection without getting into any other aspects because you don't dare to talk technical. Thus the lack of experience.

I can recommend the OP 50 options half of which are ones I already owned inc the very Cartier, Rolex, and IWC you recommended but have sold since I realized the error of my ways then half of stuff that you're too biased to even consider wearing. But I need more info on what the buyer really wants.

9. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

IIRC you are in Europe (London?) so I'd second the Cartier idea, although my preference goes for the Tank Chinoise or Cintree, or maybe a tiny square one on black strap out of nostalgia for their numerous 20th century wearers. I knew a few folks with Santos on the wrist and they were alright.

Personally love the more subdued GS and would try the Blizzard (SBGA125) or Snowflake (SBGA211). Both on leather straps. The former is Spring Drive though, not "automatic" fully.

At the risk of drawing the ire of certain Seiko mega-owners here I'll admit a weakness for the likes of the olive dial 114200. On leather strap. And maybe the black dial President. Also on leather strap. Should probably give a white dial option but I can never recall the right ref. I do prefer the smaller than 38mm models but you can find them in that size now.

Less well known but I have to fly the flag, the Dodane types 21/23 are made in France, certified in Besancon and have a unique yet relatively understated design (for a pilot). A nice alternative to the Breguet equivalent or even the Pasha. The same family has been supplying the Air Force for generations and still makes flight instruments today.

Budget wise I'm going by what I roughly remember being around 4k GBP, could be outdated post Brexit GBP crash and increase in prices across the board. Aside from perhaps the Dodane (which needs a dress counterpart) I could see them as the one-piece collection.

10. Riva

The key with Nomos is to buy used as they depreciate like a Rolex in the deep sea. Please do check the lugs to make sure the buyer is ok with the design and the extra long length.

11. gfmozart

gfmozart Distinguished Member

I got introduced to dodane and they look decent.

12. Riva

The rosegold Cintree is the most elegant watch Cartier is selling right now with the platinum being the only model with the potential profit for resale. The olive Rolex has a nice uncommon color but at 34mm can only be worn with bracelet. The Blizzard at $3400 lnib is the better one compared to the Snowflake.

13. cchen

cchen Distinguished Member

14. Riva

Love the aesthetic design if nothing else

img_1544965428175.jpg

15. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Yeah, going to go with nothing.