1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

I'm another biased BLNR owner, love mine so that's my recommendation. I do like the IWC but find it a big too big.

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

3. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Folks, forgive my watch-noob question. I'm looking to buy my first "real" watch. A few buddies recommended I look at Frederique Constant. I've done some brief research on my own and have come to the conclusion that their automatic watches are a good value. Agree, disagree?

Just to make sure, automatic means the watch doesn't need a battery and is powered through body movements, correct?

4. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Was thinking similarly, that if i do opt for the BLNR I should wait. It's really not worth paying an extra 1.5k to have it now vs. potentially up to a year later. It really makes more sense to be patient. I'm just itching to get one hahaha:D
    Thanks for the heads up - great prices there! but unfortunately i'm outside of the US. I think given the price differential it makes more sense to buy new - anyone share that view?
    lol if you lived on the equator you'll have no problems with strap replacement cycles! :nodding:
    Greaaaaat piece there Dino! And great advice on trying it on. I've tried on both and honest can really see myself wearing both so perhaps it more a matter of time (i.e. 5 years lol) 'The versatility of the GMT is its best selling point, whether you're in the office or on an adventure you pretty much have all bases covered. But that movement of the IWC with the new ceramic components and the fact that the 7 day power reserve will allow me to wear it as an occasional piece (i.e. twice a week) without winding/wearing and not having to set the time is awesome.
    I personally don't mind the IWC size since I'm 6'2" and 200lbs lol but I know what you mean, it's definitely not your classic dress watch size
    that's a sick piece cyc!
    haha good call Frank, i love the BLNR and good to hear from you too :D
    This is probably my main consideration in getting the rolex first, I think chances are that the BLNR will hold its value very well, while I probably can get a second-hand IW5007 down the road in excellent condition and perhaps an even nicer discount than the price I have today. While I love the look of the IWC, however, (I know many may look down on this), but I like the fact that Rolex has a certain cache attached to it. I would love to be able to say that I've finally gotten myself a Rolex.... before moving onto other fine things :D Really appreciate the input guys.... i'm itching for a new watch since I've already had my speedy for almost 5 years... but perhaps I'll wait for the BLNR.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. cchen

cchen Senior member

Automatic means that the watch is wound through your arm movement, which is moving a rotor that powers the watch.

What kind of watch are you looking for? Dress, tool, sport?

6. sd2002

sd2002 Senior member

Trying stingray strap for first time :).
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Never had a stringray strap before, myself. (Much as I enjoy trying different looks and swapping out straps).

How's it feel, compared to calfskin, or croc?

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Prefer stingray for holsters.

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

@arigold: another vote for the IWC here. Full disclosure: not a Rolex fan :hide:, but given that, a few points to consider:

- it depends on your wrist size of course, but I tried it on earlier this week and, with its curved lugs, was surprised how nice it wears (certainly not too big);
    - think that it actually holds its value remarkably well in the resale market; haven't seen it drop much over the years (but take the ~$12k msrp with a grain of salt of course); and
    - while the BLNR is an attractive piece, I seem them quite frequently in the wild, whereas I've only seen a handful of the 7 day Portuguese over the years. If that matters to you, it seems a little more rare.

But of course, what Dino said; go with whatever piece makes you smile more.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Neither watch is truly rare. I think that we need to take the rarity factory with a grain of salt with the idea that the rarity of sightings in the wild is somewhat dependent on where you live. Rolex is probably the mostly commonly seen "Nice watch." However, at least in my region of the States I've yet to see another person wearing a BLNR. I'm sure if I went to LA, NYC, Vegas, or even Boston etc...I'd see some over the course of a few days. I find this to be true of Pateks, APs, VC. Lange, I'm far more likely to see several of those in just a few days in a big city than I am in my local area over the course of a few months.

So depending on where Ari lives, he may or may not see some BLNRs or Portugusers in any given month.

Personally, I never mind seeing someone wearing the same as me. As I've said before, I just think to myself, "Damn, that guy has good taste!" [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I've yet to see any BLNR around me/in the AD's, on civilians, etc. Quite a few 5001's always on display in my ADs though. I never thought my watch was or would be rare TBH.

Though I've never seen anyone else around these parts have one on either..

12. robw

robw Senior member

You might be surprised. I am in NYC and have yet to see a BLNR in the wild. I am sure it is just a matter of time.

13. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Don't see the blnr but whenever I see a rolex, it's usually a sub.

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I have yet to see a BLNR other than mine even at an AD.

15. cchen

cchen Senior member

You see BLNR's everywhere in HK. I've even seen them on the taxi and bus drivers' wrists

16. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Handled a few Rolex and Omega today. I do like some of the Speedmaster revisions- the '57, Grey Side of the Moon, etc.- but jeeesus that co-axial movement is just too thick. It may not be that much thicker mm-wise than say a Sub but it sits really high on the wrist. Overall, those couple of models excluded, I thought Omega's lineup looked really poor, and the price increases solely to compete with Rolex are laughable.

Took another look at the BLNR today in different lighting- standard AD lighting but also outside in the shade and sun- and it's awesome, no question. I like that without harsh lighting the blue is tempered a bit.

For me, to go that route over the all-black GMT or a Sub/Sub w Date would mean giving up buying a 2nd watch. I've capped myself at a strict $10k and was looking to squeeze two minty pre-owned watches out of that. One a GMT/Sub and the other, something else in the 3-4k range. BLNR is high 8's pre-owned, and I am just not going to find much out there I like with the leftover. These are not real problems, so I'll just be quiet.

17. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

And you think they were real?

18. cchen

cchen Senior member

They are real. Rolex are abundant in HK.

19. mosy

mosy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To me these 2 watches seem very similar aesthetically. Are these any other watches out there that have this specific look (in the 500-2500 price range - non seiko)?

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry, but I guess I don't see the problem is with getting a BLNR if that is what you really want, and nixing the 2nd watch (or waiting a year or longer to buy a second watch). I'd much rather have the watch I truly want rather than settle for something else just to have extra funds for a second lesser, yet to be determined watch.

Buy the watch you truly want. It will last you decades and you will have no regrets. One of my friends was always buying his second or third choice to save money, regretted it, then ate the depreciation and eventually got the one he truly wanted...so in the end it would have been cheaper for him of he bought the watch he really wanted.

2 people like this.