1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11 : Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    Special Snowflake is nice.

2. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

But the titaniums are more fun with straps

img_1539105661110.jpg

3. Riva

We were talking about the blue gold giant robot winder a few days back. I just remembered the perfect watch for it :D

img_1539106625223.jpg

Except that it's handwound :(

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Are you speaking in third person?

5. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    Don't thread-shit. Take your stalking to CE.

6. Benjamin Chee HH

Benjamin Chee HH Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Thank you sir! Well the 3 movements we use, the Celadon-Grade B24, B18 and B15, are all made for us to our specifications by Beijing Watch Factory, with the B24 being globally exclusive to Maison Celadon. In the unlikely event we no longer exist, you can send the movements back to Beijing for them to service. We've also, over the years, cultivated a network of skilled watchmakers around the world who are willing and able to service our movements. I am confident that while well-finished, the CG18 and CG15 are simple enough for most competent watchmakers to service.

On the flipside, the issue of servicing comes with the acquisition of a piece from any independent watchmaker - the rarer and more exotic, the more this is a concern. I don't see this as any reason to stop one from owning a Dufour, Voutilainen or Laurent Ferrier, and neither should it be a reason to not have the pleasure of a Celadon. I will say unequivocally that I personally stand by every watch that I create that carries the Celadon Seal, and will do everything in my power to ensure that your watch continues to bring absolute joy to you for as long as possible.

7. Benjamin Chee HH

Benjamin Chee HH Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Really enjoying wearing this right now, have a great Wednesday guys!

42107454_2043079675723900_3736980628260782080_n.jpg
    42098400_316771085587025_3238730534632816640_n.jpg

8. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

9. Riva

They don't make it like they used to though. Nowadays most GSs have upsized and the smallest ones at 39mm are too thick.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I've decided that in order to have a truly tough watch with a mechanical movement, I need something that is housing the Lemania 5100. Any suggestions?

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

12. Riva

Contemplation. That baby blue would look nice on tan suedes.

img_1539144435223.jpg

13. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

A note on Celadon-- I am wearing one now, and it is my main watch while at school. Dresses up or down well (within limits), and is clearly designed by someone who knows what a real watch looks like, even if it is not a literal copy of Patek or VC.

Workmanship appears to be very fine in the flesh as well. It probably runs a bit fast (hard to know without minute markers or second hand), but when you're winding it daily it is a simple adjustment to make.

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

15. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

My suggestion would be to avoid the 5100. I love the central-minutes feature for the chronograph display, but there's not much to recommend the movement beyond that.

Its main design goal was to be as economical as possible to produce, in a futile attempt to hold out against the quartz apocalypse that was happening at the time, and this shows in the abundance of cheap metal stampings, crappy wire springs and non-serviceable plastic components. The watchmakers I know hate working on it because it was intended to be tossed and replaced instead of serviced, and it's a bitch to source replacement parts.

[​IMG]

You'll have a lot more options with the equally-robust and better-quality 7750.