1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

Narrowed my next one down to a GMT IIC (black bezel), SubC, or white dial Daytona (current model). This will be a counterpoint to a 36mm Datejust and probably the only other nice watch I buy for 5+ years.

Pros for the GMT: comfortable, far less common than the Sub, can be had for a decent price due to the BLNR craze, still as waterproof as I'd ever need (beach/snorkeling at the most), been eyeing one for years. It's some bling but not too much.
    Cons: my only two watches would both have PCLs, so no true 'put it on and forget it' option, the bezel's #s are a little big. I would considering getting the bracelet brushed. No current need for the GMT function.

Pros for the Sub: the default do it all watch. The 'bubble' in the back of the case doesn't make it sit terrific on my wrist, though proper bracelet sizing probably fixes this. Perfect daily wearer
    Cons for the Sub: the default do it all watch, even in my town where no one has nice watches, they are prevalent.

Pros for the Daytona: it's just stunning, in pics but especially in person. Perfect balance of elegant and sporty, especially in the white dial to me. Incredibly comfortable.
    Cons: I have seen some reaaally beat to shit examples online and I want a daily wearer I don't have to treat quite like my Datejust. I know I'd baby this one. The consensus seems to be that the bezel will get some serious wear if you don't take great care of it. Also a good 4k more than the other options.

Which would you guys get?

2. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

Question for those who might have some knowledge/experience with this:

My good friend is looking to sell his mint SubC with date.......full set with box and papers. How much should he expect to get? He's not on any forums and has no desire to get involved in the secondary market, just wants to sell at the highest possible amount. I'm just being a goo friend and figured I'd ask here given the amount of collective knowledge in the TWAT community.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

3. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

If he is not on any forums and doesn't want to get involved in the secondary market then who is he selling to? A dealer? Jeweler? That will determine price.

For instance on the forums I'd expect to pay $7k ish for a mint Sub Date. A dealer/jeweler would probably give him $5K tops.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

4. Akeem

Akeem Distinguished Member

i haven't looked in a while, but 7k sounds high for a preowned subc. i think my buddy just got a new sub nd for around 6.5k.

5. Akeem

Akeem Distinguished Member

there is no question. always get the more expensive one if you are already considering it. you will just want it again down the road.

6. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I agree. Usually add about $1k for the date model. I would say $6.6k to $6.8k for a non-forum "dealer" on a Sub Date..

7. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

There are arguments to be made for and against each.

You said you have no need for a GMT function. Do you have a need for a true diving watch or a chronograph ? Most likely not. 100 m of the GMT or Daytona has you covered for any swimming/snorkeling. The Chronograph function is a fun toy, and yes folks here use them to timing cooking, time on parking meters, and other things just as an excuse to use it, but for most its entertainment. So is there one of the three that makes you smile more than the others when its on your wrist?

If you beat the heck out of any of these watches it is going to show, regardless of whether the surface is polished or brushed. The Daytona bezel will look like sh*t after a few years if you are really rough on your watches. However, you can always have the bezel replaced for a few hundred dollars.

If your main concern is scratches being hidden, or minimized in terms of appearance, then go for the Sub C. The brushed finish tends to hide scratches better than polished surfaces. So no PLCs and no polished lugs (Daytonas have polished lugs), and the ceramic bezel won't show the scratches that a metal bezel will show...or you could wait and try to get on a waiting list for a Daytona with a ceramic bezel...although unless you have good connections your wait for one could be well over a year from when they actually reach our shores.

As for Subs being too common...who cares. If I walk into a place and I'm wearing a watch and someone else has one, I just think, "Damn that guy has good taste!" [​IMG] Also, if you go with a black bezel GMT and your watch is recognized, it will probably be mistaken for a Sub anyway. When i had a black bezel GMT...the few people that would notice & comment on it would say, "Nice Sub." So to me without a 2 color bezel, the GMT loses some of its identity.

In the end, all of these are great watches. Get the one that makes you the happiest.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

8. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

As I mentioned earlier, I got my wife a Cartier Tank for xmas and she has shown no indication that she is planning on giving it to our daughter. I am the sentimental one of us...

The Reverso has always been very high on my list and with a bit more encouragement, I could be convinced to go that route instead of Rolex. I would have some reservations about wearing the Reverso on a regular basis for 18/21 years and the condition it would be in at presentation time though.

See? This guy ^ gets it, why is my wife having so much trouble understanding why having several very expensive watches is a great idea?
    3:1 here, and our dog has recently indicated that she wants a Daytona in stainless steel. Since my wife got the Cartier and it looks like a DateJust for my daughter, I think it would be cruel not to include her, right?

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

For me it's my wife, two daughters, and a live-in nanny.... do... do I need to buy 4 watches? :fu:

10. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

11. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

Thanks!

I was thinking he'd fetch around $5K, so that sounds right. Of course, if he can get more then more power to him. There's a jeweler he has dealt with before and he wants to go in there with some intel to help with the negotiations, if any. He's just never sold a used item like this before so I can understand his apprehension.

12. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Distinguished Member

Behold, the $6,200 G Shock

[​IMG]

13. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

Not a quartz man myself but do like all the functions of these newer gps watches. Some even have more toned down/elegant dials. Perpetual calader without ever needing to use a winder box would be pretty cool too with the solar powered models.

14. robw

robw Senior Member

Congratulations to you and glad to hear everyone is home doing well.

It's interesting idea, but what if your girl when she's 18 or 21 is uninterested in watches or just doesn't like what you chose. I can tell you from experience that your children are not necessarily going to like the things you like. If you are ok with that possibility then I'd say just buy a watch you like and see yourself keeping and will be happy wearing until the big day comes around. If she likes it then she gets it. if not you keep wearing it.

15. robw

robw Senior Member