1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

The best part about the Hodinkee watch shop besides pics etc? ACTUALLY LISTING THE DAMNED PRICES. It's like how some car dealerships still haven't figured out how the Internet works and won't give price quotes. It doesn't matter whether or not I'm going to shop their quote around. In this day and age, nobody has time to take out of their work day to drive around from place to place and waste hours being sold random options or haggling. Not having real time inventory (within a day or so)? Bait and switch upon arrival? Automated responses only? Being passed off to another person upon arrival? You've got to be kidding me. The point of posting things online should be to sell things online, not force people to waste time at the physical location. Whoever has the best communication and price wins. If I'm quoted a price I'm happy with, I'll be there as soon as I'm able and I'm paying whatever I was quoted in writing.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Do you feel better now? [​IMG]

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

I like Mimo's idea about buying for your wife and if I may suggest the JLC Reverso with your daughter's initials engraved on the back. Would make an absolutely amazing 18th bday gift..

4. cyc wid it

Little bit :eek:

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The dude wants a watch, let him...I take it back! Doesn't mean he can't have a Reverso though...

Caps and bold..that's some shit that just needed to come out!

In other news, I saw something unexpected today while kicking my heels in a mall waiting for a friend: thinking they had no interesting watch shops, I was surprised to find a new Seiko outlet, with actual Grand ones. What about this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the dimly-lit phone pics, but after a little googling, this appears to be the GS "LV" - a hangover from last year's anniversary, with a blue dial, no day counter and limited numbers.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but a lot of limited editions get palmed off to gather dust in Oman when nobody else can sell them, and this happens a lot when there is one or more 4s in the piece number: Eastern boutiques won't take them with a "death number", and neither will Dubai who rely a lot on Chinese tourists. This one I've just noticed from the pic, is "449" - double death?!

Anyway, it looks and feels nice, and wears much smaller than the specs suggest. It doesn't, I have to say, have the weighty specialness of a Rolex - I think the oyster-a-like bracelet is a little light - but it feels like quality nonetheless, and extremely wearable.

6. cyc wid it

Really though, I've never received an answer regarding listing prices online (much less actual best prices) that made sense to me.

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Oh, I agree, it's maddening when the price is treated like a special secret - and the next bit: once they've revealed the prized information, surely you're going to buy it after putting them through so much trouble?

8. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Nice watch, but I've never had any real desire to own one.

I knew that 8 is lucky in Chinese culture (hence a popular number for numbered editions), but I had no idea that 4 was so bad in certain parts of the world! I guess it one doesn't have issues with the so called "Death number" one can get some great deals in your neighborhood.

9. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

Great couple of ideas, thanks (!)

I have two daughters...

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Re.GS

Like many "nice" watches, there's always the question of what else you could have for the same money. At list prices of $3-5k and up, there are some good discounts and they're good watches. But a hell of a lot of competition from makers that don't have the conceptual burden of also making $50 watches.

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

Me too, Cleav!

Man I wish the seiko outlets around here carried them. Was there a good discount?

12. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

So do I! [​IMG]

13. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

:fistbump:

I have a house full of women, even the dogs gang up on me so it's 5:1! I'm not buying the hounds watches though :embar:

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'm not sure what to compare them to really, but I can check.

Me too, and a son...need to build that watch budget!

You could take Mr Davro's approach, and buy watches to look after for the dogs, just until they develop opposable thumbs with which to wind them?

15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Distinguished Member

Transition-gate 2016?

Forums have taught me a great many things, not the least of which is that if you put enough people obsessed about one topic in the same place, they tend to look for a reason to display their knowledge; happily at the expense of someone more highly regarded.

This is why it's a privilege to hang out in this wee little corner of the watch-loving internet. TWAT keeps it classy.

Usually...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016