The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I love that dial. I'm off to Venice and Trieste for ten days, and I think I'll just keep it simple and take only the blue OQ. It goes with everything.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I think I'm in love.

3. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Thank you both and everybody else who's weighed in on the decision. As this is a gift, I'm going to send the finalists to my wife and let her choose between the two black Longines, the blue GMT Longines, and the Oris, and let her surprise me.

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

It's ALS, so pretty much a "yes, ABSOLUTELY" from me. I think I'm in love with the vast majority of their watches (though I am picky about size) and were money no object I would have a collection of them. I'm don't buy based on brand but rather on the timepiece itself, however if I had to rate my favorite brands I would say that based on what I know ALS would be my favorite at the moment.

EWC just sold a Richard Lange which I quite liked (and can't quite afford at the moment on top of probably should never even be considering) and while I'm more a fan of the 1815 collection it too just spoke to me. This Saxonia Moonphase does as well. Wouldn't be my first choice by Lange, but a thing of beauty that grows on my every time I see it.

I would disagree with the black dial being the most versatile. I personally would consider a white dial (paper white/soft white with some sort of texture even if very subtle) the most versatile. To your point though about the bracelet, I think that makes a huge difference. Black dial on a bracelet is for the most part going to be more versatile unless you plan on changing straps. Still if you have the right watch and can swap it out with the right straps it can be very versatile.

This hits the nail on the head. It really is about personal preference. For me I rarely have to wear a suit and I rarely wear a lot of black, so I don't gravitate towards a lot of black dial watches. That said my Reverso has a black dail, but it's also got a brown strap and patina hands and markers and so it goes well with the black pieces in my wardrobe as they are more casual and a bit more "heritage" inspired.

I think if you can it's great to have different watches with different colored faces. I've been eyeing up a Lange 1815 with the blue face as I wear a ton of blue and navy. Still I also am considering a Speedmaster someday which would give me another black option. At the end of the day though I'm more moved by the watch itself and color while important only plays so much of a role.

Speaking of colored dials, did anyone else see those VC Metiers D' Art Elegance Sartoriale pieces? I like them all, but the Tartan and to a slightly lesser extent the Prince of Wales check really speak to me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

5. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Forgot to mention two things by way of Hodinkee:

1) New Talking Watches went up today. Not a big fan of the watches on display (Navitimer looks good though), but an interesting collection and I am somewhat like minded when it comes to appreciating things that are perhaps not as common.

2) This piece on the upcoming Christie's auction had the two following pieces:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/christies-may-2016-preview

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First watch is absolutely perfect. Second watch is also very cool. Love the dual crowns. Not a huge fan of the hour hand, but still a very cool watch. I get the vintage watch itch if you can afford one of these. Sadly they don't seem to make 'em like those two anymore.

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Me too. I would purchase if I had some certainty on the dial refinish. I can't find any similar dials.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I can appreciate being more moved by a watch itself rather than color. Although, even when attracted to a particular watch, some dials accentuate certain elements of a watch more than others, or some are just better looking (although that can be subjective).

Yes, saw the VC Sartoriale pieces. I like a few of them. While I'm generally not a fan of large/modest watches using small movements (that were originally in smaller watches), its makes sense and is a good use of their old cal 1400.

8. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

If we're talking blue dials might as well throw in a pic of The Bleu....

[​IMG]

9. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

God, I love that watch.

10. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

11. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Is the bottom watch a Rouchefoucauld?

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You may need Louis Winthorpe to confirm that.

13. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

I don't see Gstaad on the dial....

BTW - I'm thinning the heard a bit and wanted to gauge interest. I plan to sell:

1. Heuer Carrera Reissue 3110 (stainless steel, pearl dial)
    2. Speedmaster Pro 3594.50
    3. IWC Mark XV 3253 (black matte dial)
    4. Jaeger Reverso Tribute to 1931 US Limited Edition
    5. Zenith 1969 New Vintage

I think i've posted pics of all of these before on here. Would prefer local deal in NYC if possible. Message me for more details.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

14. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

This reverso looks way too much like a Hamilton Otis to me. But that could just be me.

15. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Wow. Great collection you've got there. Saw an unworn Mark XV with box and papers earlier in the week and it sold in 24 hours. Anyway, looking to thin out AND add at the same time?