Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Interestingly enough, I am considering the Christopher Ward C9 5 Day Auto and wearing it as a business casual/dress watch. For some reason, traditional dress watches (in my price range) really bore me. It was actually all the pictures of the GO Pano's that got me leaning this way.

[​IMG]

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The Blue GO I fancy a lot is the Senator Sixties.

[​IMG]

But in the mean time, I have a more casual feel on my GUB Spezimatic Weltzeit.

[​IMG]

3. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

See my responses in blue. I really appreciate the time you took in preparing this, and as you see, you've added a few more options and touched on others I had already been toying with. I have some more thinking to do.

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Welcome! I like that Longines GMT too. Also, I agree about the contrast thing: more contrast makes it work better as a casual watch I think - whether black or blue.

5. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

A black dial watch (on a bracelet) is the most versatile watch there is. It doesn't matter what else you are wearing.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Not sure I find it more versatile, maybe just a bit less common. It seems there are more watches available with black, white, or silver dials than blue. I own a few black dial watches, one gray, a few silver, and 1 blue. I enjoy wearing all of them. I do like wearing a blue dial watch with a blue suit. However, I think it is maybe more a matter of whether one prefers how a blue dial watch looks with one's wardrobe in general, which may depend on your sense of style and taste.

7. Winot

Winot Senior member

The nicest blue dial on a strap I've seen recently is the Glashutte Original Senator Sixties (no date). The open back is sublime. But it is about GBP 4000 so I guess it should be.

Edit to add: I missed the next page, and I see that Mimo has (as ever) got there first.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

8. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

OK, so time to expand on a few more options. My last post seemed to be very blue focused, and while I think I'll have a blue faced watch soon, I'd still prefer black right now.

So, Longines. That GMT is really nice, the more I look at it, the more I like it. However, I don't like the black-faced version as much, so I'd want it in blue. I think that pushes it out of the running and maybe for consideration at a later date. Also, when I compare the HydroConquest diver to some others we've discussed, I revert back to my preference to not use a diver as a daily watch (though that may be sacrilege in this thread). Here are some on black that look great. The first is my favorite, but why so much more expensive than the second? I don't see any added complications, size differs only by 1mm, same line... what am I missing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are my top two for the brand.

JeanRichard I think is too unique. I may own one eventually, but not right now. Kinda like how you don't want a dramatic chalk stripe as your first suit, I don't want a Terrascope with such a small collection. Maybe later.

Now, with Sinn, you've thrown a wrench into my plans. Well, Longines as well, but Sinn is a more direct competitor to the Oris I had/have my eye on. I really like the 556A on bracelet, but I wish it was larger. I tried on a few 42 mm watches last week and actually thought that size was good in most cases: not small and dainty, but not ridiculous. I think 40mm would be great, too. At 38.5, I am not sure I'd be totally happy. Do they make this any larger?

[​IMG]

That Terrasport II is definitely my favorite from Muhle. I'm still clinging on to the fact that I don't generally like pilot watches, and that one is kind of the epitome of a pilot watch. For some reason, I can't rule it out completely. Probably not a front-runner, though.

So, the front-runners are now all here, along with my original selection, the Oris below. Apologies to the rest of the readers for turning this thread into my personal sounding board.

[​IMG]

I think it's going to come down to the Oris and that first Longines.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

That is my someday watch. Love it.

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Get the second Longines you have pictured. $895 from Jomashop last time I checked, it's a better size for you, automatic and with 300m water resistance--you can't go wrong there. I considered it briefly myself recently.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

If you want to keep the blue GMT version for later, the Longines Conquest Classic is simpler, and I've just seen the black dial version for a shade over $1k. [Edit: see Frank's post above!] There's also the Saint Imier, a bit more dressy and $1700 maybe, but I'm not sure you'll like the bracelet. Take a look. They're both 41mm.

From Sinn, there isn't a bigger 556. The 103 is 41mm and not too expensive, about $1300. It has a bezel, but very different to the many Submariner clones. I like the display back and the case shape a lot, too.

[​IMG]

Look up the 240 as well, though that's quite a big boy at 43mm and the 70s style case isn't everyone's taste.

Muehle has some other options if you want something less pilot-ish. Both the "City" 99, and the 29er, are a shade over 42mm and pretty clean. I particularly like the latter, with its modern case shape, Oyster-y bracelet and cool crown guards. But they're both cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is also the Terrasport 1, but that's a bit big at 44mm. And if you want to go a bit off the track, look up the SAR Rescue Timer - a sensible 42mm but perhaps a little "tacticool".

[more edit: Just one thought on the Longines - if you're seriously thinking of getting a blue Conquest GMT later, maybe consider either getting it now as it does everything these do, or going with another maker this time around for variety]

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

^
    I've noticed that almost everyone wants oversized watches when they start getting into them, then most tastes seem to develop toward preferring more-traditional sizing.

I'm glad I held onto my 356, even though I initially thought it too small. The big watches got stale fast, and I've never missed them since they were gone.

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Linked ^

[​IMG]

Despite my others I always seem to wear this. Perhaps the Pam 183 needs to go...

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Not me, Belli, I tend to shy away from oversized watches with most of my collection.

There's that beauty again. Lovely watch, as always, Cleav :)

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Part of my watch collection (the Sub is missing, as I'm wearing it when I took the photo). A mix of good and cheap:

[​IMG]