The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Is it just me and I can't remember Belligero referring to it but why do so many watches nowadays have multiple typefaces? OK so the Brand logo may be special but I find it as bad as in magazines when a designer gets carried away with different different typefaces. I just looked at some of the Baselworld supposedly stand out designs "Globemaster Annual Calendar", "Ball Trainmaster Manufacture", "Glashutte Senator Excellemce", "Rolex Air King" and they all seem to have this flaw.

There is precious little space on the face of a watch and to spray multiple typefaces at and it seems not only bad design but also unnecessary.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Slightly prefer the overall styling of the Alpina, but find the position of the date so far "inland" to be a non-starter for me aesthetically (presumably result of big watch, small movement). As an aside, for moderately priced pilot watches, I find it hard to beat the material technology that goes into a Damasko.

3. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Secondhand Omega is, compared to most makers from a 'bang for your buck' perspective, an incredible deal. The Aqua Terra, with its newer 'plank' dials, are very, very nice. If they are out there in good shape for $1500, damn... that's a crazy good deal on a great watch.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Looking for some advice. In broad strokes here's my dilemma- I am going to buy a Datejust for my wife to celebrate our 2nd child (along with a few other celebratory events). She loooves mine and I know without question she would love one of her own. The problem- I cannot simply tell her I want to get it for her and involve her in the process up front, for a myriad of reasons.

I am 100% confident in the dial choice, and less confident in the bracelet/bezel. No real way to get confirmation of her preference without spoiling the surprise, but this is obviously a very personal/costly/long term decision, so that has to factor in.

My options, as I see them:

1) Go local AD and have them order the exact watch I want. They have a 30 day exchange/return policy. I am paying full retail + taxes with this route.

2) Go grey market, which is the only route I would go for my own watches, with the same seller I have history with, and have him locate my best strong guess at what she would like. This route means a very nice discount (probably in the 10-20% ballpark), in all likelihood, but if she doesn't love it, I would have to re-sell and take the $ hit, or even worse, the situation would make her feel like she has to keep that specific watch.

What would you do, if you were let's say 75% confident in what she would want? Definitely leaning towards option 1, and just sucking up the extra $.

5. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

Lum-Tec Carbon B23 on a Horween Reverse Black Shell Cordovan Single Pass Strap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

What did you do for the engagement ring? Presumably you asked about her preferences before buying it. If you really don't want to ask, I would buy from the AD.

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Fluted bezel, Jubilee bracelet, the most girly combination for the true "his and hers" look. Of course the bracelet can be changed later at any time, or freshened up with a favourite colour croc strap alternative here and there. I'm sure she will love whatever you get, but either way it doesn't seem worth the saving to go grey: the savings on a steel DJ aren't going to be massive, but the comfort of face to face dealings and an unequivocal warranty will be bigger.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Do some more homework to find out what she truly wants. Although, most women go with the fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet, my wife hates the Jubilee bracelet so so we ordered her DJ with an Oyster bracelet. I'd go with the AD. Good luck and congrats on the new addition to the family.

9. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

+1

Go AD - "Because she's worth it". If you go the grey route she may wonder why you do not think she is worth buying from an AD.

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Same here. My wife loves her DJ, and she went with the oyster.

Some AD's have a generous exchange policy about gifts - if you explain to them, that your wife my prefer the other style bracelet instead, they often understand and would let you exchange it, the watch has to be unworn of course. It's usually reserved for special occasions and not just 'change of heart'

11. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I thought this article might be of interest to people here, seeing as how wearing a watch (no matter how dressy) with black tie attire leads more often that not to heated debates!

Thoughts?

12. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

Black tie, might wear. White, no.

Also the fact that a wristwatch is an early 20th century thing (or very late 19th century) and pocket watches were prevalent on the day these etiquettes were created, should probably be considered.

13. robw

robw Senior member

I have gone back and forth on the watch with black tie thing. I have worn my Reverso, a BP 7002 and a blue dial DJ when I did wear a watch.

As it happens we attended a black tie wedding this past Sunday. I went sans watch this time. I think just about every guy I noticed wore a watch. I saw plenty of watches, eg all types of Rolex, AP ROs, and a few PPs that would hardly qualify as dress watches. I am sure no one noticed that I wasn't wearing a watch and no one cared.

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I don't wear a watch with either white tie or black tie. My formal shirt cuffs are cut close to the wrist so they cannot accommodate a watch. I notice lots of men wear watches with formal wear, including thick huge watches.

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

IF you do wear a watch with black tie, make sure it's a subtle and small piece, preferably with a black leather strap. That's the best way to go if you choose to wear a watch at all.