1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

You wrote what you wrote, and it does read as offensive. I don't have to take it out of context. I wouldn't have mentioned your comment but you for wanting to discuss what I thought was both off topic and inappropriate. Your reason for being offended... they offered to give her fruit on the holiday mistakenly assuming she was Jewish...oh no how terrible for you and her:confused: . You don't understand the culture, the holiday, or why they approached her, so please do yourself a favor and drop the discussion.

The topic here should stay on watches.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

What a humorless dullard you are being.

At no point did I say or suggest that I am offended by Jewish custom. The humorous phenomenon, since it needs to be spelled out for you, is that people always seem to think my wife is Jewish. Including Jews during Sukkot.

That said, as a husband in a big city, I am going to be sensitive about any men randomly, physically approaching my wife. Sometimes in a rather startling and aggressive manner. From that point of view, I could not care less about one's religious or cultural reasons for doing so--I'd rather you simply keep your hands to yourself. Hence, such men, in that context and from my perspective, are "creepy."

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018

3. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

4. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

careful, those creeps might brand you a humorless dullard.

or maybe the husband who pressures his wife into a 'mechanically superior' model is the creep?

wheels within wheels...

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I always assumed Foo married an Asian since Foo is Asian.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

So now I'm a humorless dullard?...Ah, yes... name calling and blaming the other person, a classic tactic used by those in the wrong, rather than actually recognizing that their statement could be considered offensive to some, and apologizing.

You allege in your most recent post that you did not say, or suggest that you were offended by Jewish custom. You then suggest that were describing a humorous phenomena. And yet then you say you don't care about their religious or cultural belief or reasons for doing so...you'd rather they keep their hands to [themselves], and then you revert again to in your perspective they are creepy. So one minute you find humor in it and you are not offended by Jewish custom, and then next they are creepy again. It seems like whether you find the humor or you are offended depends on how you want to spin your explanation. Honestly, if you actually knew anything about the religion or culture, you would know that an Orthodox or Hasidic Jewish man will not touch a woman they are not married to. So calm down...not everyone is after your wife.

Please do yourself a favor and stop justifying your statements. Just move on so things can get back on topic of watches.

7. mafoofan

For fuck's sake.

8. mafoofan

That is racist and insensitive to both Asians and people named Foo.

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

It's cool though. I'm also Asian.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Nah, that's a single entendre.

11. LA Guy

I'll do you one better. I'd like the sponsor this movie through a very special Styleforum GoFundMe.

12. LA Guy

I got my wife the JLC Reverso first because she, like me, tends to break all sorts of things, but yeah, basically she just liked the way it looks and that I put thought into the gift.

Not just most women, but most men as well, are not nerds about most things. But from online communities, people who start niche brands, etc... it does seem that nerds are more likely to be men.

13. dopey

Can we get Hugh Jackman to play Foo? I already see him snarling, Wolverine-like, protecting his wife who cowers behind him trembling with fear from chassids who bear down on them with gifts of fruit. Sacha Baron Cohen should play all the chassids.

14. mafoofan

I dig. Who will play the cavalry of Central Park Tibetan monks that come to our rescue? So long as they swirl their spirit beads over their heads bolo-style, I don't care.

15. dopey