• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both of our wives are Jewish (correct me if I'm wrong), so this is par for the course, watch or no watch.

No, she's not Jewish. Though for some reason everyone in the universe seems to want to believe she is. Especially the creepy Jewish dudes who are always trying to give her fruit on that Jewish holiday with the fruit-giving.

So maybe she is a Jew by collective wish? I dunno.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that some bling is fine - the appropriate amount will depend on the personalty and style of the wearer.

Last year I got my gf this watch, which turned out to work just as well as I had hoped:

- in fact, I struggle to think of another women's watch that's just as pleasing aesthetically at this price (or even 5 times the price of this).

You made the right choice. It is nearly impossible to beat Cartier when it comes to its appeal to women. They make high quality products, and their designs are often more on target when it comes to what women want, than most other brands. In my experience, male watch collectors often put too much emphasis on the movement, or how the brand is perceived relative to VC, PP, AP , JLC etc. (I've seen those issues by husbands/boyfriends on lots of watch forums). Unless a person's wife or girlfriend is an actual watch collector most don't care that much about Patek, AP, VC, the movement, etc.

My wife and I had been married about a year or so when I decided she needed a good watch for everyday. Her main requirement was that it had to be an automatic or a manual wind and something durable that she could wear everyday. I took her to look at a variety of brands and back then not as many offered women's watches with an automatic movement or manual wind. So we looked at Cartier, Rolex, Chopard, GP, JLC, GO (back then the ladies Nautilus, RO, and Overseas were quartz) . No matter what we looked at she kept wanting a Tank Francaise (large with automatic movement). I strugged to get over the idea that the model she wanted used an ETA base movement. Eventually, she said, "Maybe someday I'll want something different, but I don't care that the movement is from ETA, the watch I really want is the Cartier." She has since then gotten a Datejust, but to this day she wears the Cartier almost all the time, and the Rolex rarely. The handful of times she has tried on "High end watches" she usually says, I really love my Tank, and I'd rather than spending money on another watch, I'd rather spend money on more jewelry at Van Cleef & Arpels or Cartier.

Even now a lot of the women that I know that have a nice watch, most have at least 1 Cartier or more. To be honest, I think if my wife does decide she wants another nice watch, its very likely going to be another Cartier.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you hear a Jewish woman weep quietly in a dark room, are you Jewish?

Not really sure why you guys are discussing Jewish women, but this seems way off topic and is starting to seem inappropriate.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also assumed that your wife is Jewish (not that there is anything wrong with that).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife's watch is incoming. Not an exact match with my Patek, but thematically in-line.

What are your thoughts on women's watches? Bling? No bling? All the bling??

Bling the right way, Van Cleef & Arpels, though kind pricy and feels a bit occasion driven

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last year I got my gf this watch, which turned out to work just as well as I had hoped:

More than one way to read that.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What, serious?

Yes, I was serious that the discussion seemed off topic and inappropriate. Do you really think your comment referring to people who were either Orthodox Jews or Hasidic Jews as "Creepy Jewish dudes" was appropriate? At best your comment was rude and shows a lack of cultural understanding.

Anyway, I would hope we can all get back to discussing watches.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I was serious that the discussion seemed off topic and inappropriate. Do you really think your comment referring to people who were either Orthodox Jews or Hasidic Jews as "Creepy Jewish dudes" was appropriate? At best your comment was rude and shows a lack of cultural understanding.

Anyway, I would hope we can all get back to discussing watches.

No we can't, since you took my words completely out of context to suggest I meant something hideously offensive. Those "dudes" are "creepy" because they approach my wife assuming she's a single Jewish woman (just because she's a petite brunette), not because they are "Jewish."

Of course, if one is looking to be offended, he'll find what he wants.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No we can't, since you took my words completely out of context to suggest I meant something hideously offensive. Those "dudes" are "creepy" because they approach my wife assuming she's a single Jewish woman (just because she's a petite brunette), not because they are "Jewish."

You wrote what you wrote, and it does read as offensive. I don't have to take it out of context. I wouldn't have mentioned your comment but you for wanting to discuss what I thought was both off topic and inappropriate. Your reason for being offended... they offered to give her fruit on the holiday mistakenly assuming she was Jewish...oh no how terrible for you and her:confused: . You don't understand the culture, the holiday, or why they approached her, so please do yourself a favor and drop the discussion.

The topic here should stay on watches.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You wrote what you wrote, and it does read as offensive. I don't have to take it out of context. I wouldn't have mentioned your comment but you for wanting to discuss what I thought was both off topic and inappropriate. Your reason for being offended... they offered to give her fruit on the holiday mistakenly assuming she was Jewish...oh no how terrible for you and her:confused: . You don't understand the culture, the holiday, or why they approached her, so please do yourself a favor and drop the discussion.

The topic here should stay on watches.

What a humorless dullard you are being.

At no point did I say or suggest that I am offended by Jewish custom. The humorous phenomenon, since it needs to be spelled out for you, is that people always seem to think my wife is Jewish. Including Jews during Sukkot.

That said, as a husband in a big city, I am going to be sensitive about any men randomly, physically approaching my wife. Sometimes in a rather startling and aggressive manner. From that point of view, I could not care less about one's religious or cultural reasons for doing so--I'd rather you simply keep your hands to yourself. Hence, such men, in that context and from my perspective, are "creepy."

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a humorless dullard you are being.

At no point did I say or suggest that I am offended by Jewish custom. The humorous phenomenon, since it needs to be spelled out for you, is that people always seem to think my wife is Jewish. Including Jews during Sukkot.

That said, as a husband in a big city, I am going to be sensitive about any men randomly, physically approaching my wife. Sometimes in a rather startling and aggressive manner. From that point of view, I could not care less about one's religious or cultural reasons for doing so--I'd rather you simply keep your hands to yourself. Hence, such men, in that context and from my perspective, are "creepy."

careful, those creeps might brand you a humorless dullard.

or maybe the husband who pressures his wife into a 'mechanically superior' model is the creep?

wheels within wheels...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads