The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

@Dino944

Thank you for the UG overview and your thoughts generally. I appreciate the input.

2. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Quote:Good find. I think a lot in the industry feel the same way. Basel was marked by a big shift to stainless and more reasonably priced models, generally, lot of exceptions of course. However, some brands even lowered prices in select markets. Hell, one could make a well sounding argument that even Rolex was in a way 'pushed' into finally making the ceramic bezel SS daytona or else face a softening market without any new bullets.

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

"Like many in the industry, he attributes the downturn to myriad factors ranging from the fall in the oil price to flat interest rates and China’s continuing anti-corruption drive, which began in earnest in 2012."

Hah. Can we hope wine and real estate will also see the price decrease as a result of this?

4. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

Thanks for the tip. After looking at the website, it appears the one I'm looking at might be a 1675/3 and not a 16753 as it has a 6.49 serial number and a nipple dial. After thinking it over the price is probably alright, but probably not the best use of my money at this point.

5. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I'm a fan!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Speaking of that FT article, how did the new/secondhand watch market handle the 08 crash? I wasn't really paying much attention to it then. Was demand/pricing depressed for a period of time?

7. troika

troika Senior member

Hey guys, slowly thinking about getting a rolex at some point in the near future.

I'm trying to research the difference between a sea dweller and a sub. As far as I can tell both of them are 40mm but the SD has a thicker case which allows it to be rated for a larger depth, and does not have a cyclops. Any further insight?

Looking at second hand places, and it seems that the SD is both more widely available and cheaper than a sub.

Edot: meant sea dweller, not deep sea

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I don't recall a huge change in prices on the second hand watch market. However, it definitely hurt ADs as consumers curbed their spending. That resulted in some of the harder to get pieces suddenly becoming more available and in some circumstance people were able to get small discounts where previously there were none. For example, Daytonas were still quite difficult to get prior to the economic meltdown. Then all of the sudden people were finding Daytonas at ADs, and in smaller markets some actually gave discounts to move them.

It also resulted in companies like Rolex and Cartier evaluating their AD networks and closing out many smaller accounts, where sales were not as strong. This happened to a few smaller dealers near me, even though they had been ADs for 40-50 years each.

The Deep Sea is 43mm and much thicker than a Sub. You should try them both on, to see how they fit. For me the DS is just way too bulky and top heavy...making the Sub a more comfortable choice and better fit. I think the reason you might be finding DS's for less than Subs is there is a smaller market for guys that can wear them.

Good luck and happy shopping.

9. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

You may be thinking Sea Dweller instead of Deap Sea if you are looking at two 40mm versions.

10. Winot

Winot Senior member

Thoughts on this watch?

[​IMG]

11. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very nice, but I think I prefer the more vertical version of the Golden Ellipse. I believe the vertical version is true to Genta's original design.

[​IMG]

This below is my least favorite version
    [​IMG]

13. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Quote:The auction market retrenched to quality. The top pieces still commanded top dollar but most things out of the top-top tier saw lower prices. That gradually went away as now everything seemingly is going for new record heights.... for now. (edit) I'll add, the auction market seems to trail behind the general economy and watch market a bit so I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing the auctions soften a bit in the coming months.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Late to the party, but the new white-faced Ceramic Daytona, and especially the new Explorer I are terrific. :slayer:

15. troika

troika Senior member

You're absolutely right, my bad. Looking for the difference between the sea dweller and a sub!