The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I liked this too, but thought the date window's shape/metal surrounding/font doesn't jibe well with the rest of the dial... gorgeous movement, you are right

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

:facepalm: is it classic, timeless, well curated too?

3. atia2

atia2 Senior member

I hope I would be neither so crass as to describe a timepiece as timeless, nor so undescriptive to describe anything as classic.

4. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

The typeface/lettering discussion is very interesting. I'm not so picky, myself, but even without overtly noticing, it certainly affects my overall impression of a watch. I am, however, always wary of the fact that in person these details are always much less noticeable. We tend to spend so much time looking at these things magnified on screens that it's easy to forget that many of these numerals are no more than a couple millimeters tall "in the metal".

Sometimes it's everything though. The Breguet numerals are probably the single most distinctive design element of this watch. I do not think it would be nearly as successful a design without them. (still playing with straps, btw. went shabby chic over the weekend)

[​IMG]

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Greatly prefer the other strap you had on it a few days ago. This reminds me of when celebs wear tuxedos with sneakers.

6. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Well I don't wear tuxedos ;) Pretty casual guy and have always loved the idea of an ultra high end watch dressed down to be totally casual and unassuming.

7. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Thanks for the follow-up post, Belligero.

You know, with all the anti-Arial talk, I must admit, somewhat embarrassingly, that I've written hundreds, if not thousands of e-mails with it. I believe it was at one point the default font in MS Outlook!

8. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

That's not a date window but rather the hour indicator. That's also a retrograde minute hand up top. All in all an interesting piece, but must be really disorientating to read the time.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

It can work with some watches and some straps. It's that particular strap that bothers me. But if it puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters. Enjoy!

10. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

Thanks for the grinder advice guys! I'll look into the recommendations and see what stands out. I don't have a price in mind. The use would be for pour over purposes.
    I'll continue this in the coffee thread.

11. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

So a birth year (1980) two-tone Rolex 16753 head only popped up on line in pretty decent condition (no box or papers). I've fancied the idea of a less than perfect looking birth year Sub or GMT that I could wear on a strap for awhile, but really don't have a good picture of the right price. I've done business with the seller before so I trust the provenance. Any ideas of what a reasonable price would be for something like this?

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Just glad that it's of interest. I generally find it's worthwhile to learn about design, as it applies to much more than wristwatches. From an industrial engineering perspective, I find that good visual design awareness (not to be confused with trendiness) often goes hand-in-hand with well-thought-out functionality and general attention to detail. Fundamentally, they're all related to quality. :teach:

No need for embarrassment, though. While it's certainly not optimal for email legibility, it's not exactly a big deal when so many computer things use it by default anyway. After all, it's not as if you're obliviously putting a Swiss-licensing-fee-dodging knockoff on a fancy watch that's marketed as being heirloom-grade. ;)

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I've had a similar urge actually - although I'm not a fan of two-tone watches, that's one watch that I think dresses down fantastically on a rough leather strap. Something about the way that gold bezel works against leather while the steel case keeps it all utilitarian, gives it a kind of steam punk chic I really like. Do it!

Quote:
    Bit of a double take when I read this. Reminded me of a post a blind friend of mine made on Facebook recently: "So, Grindr is not the same as Tinder then...hard to tell when you can't see the faces." True story.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

14. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

Yeah, I'd have no desire to wear a two-tone bracelet, but find often that watch heads from two-tone watches are fine by themselves.

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

If you haven't already, I think you'll enjoy reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It's about quality.