1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8 : Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction of the year is for an Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

The random serial number is exactly what is sounds like, random. My GMT BLNR (Batman) has a completely random serial number with only 3 numerals before the letters start then more numbers. It has nothing to do with the model number, and mine was purchased brand new at an AD. If you have any doubts ...then maybe it isn't the right piece. A good deal isn't much of a deal if you don't have peace of mind about what you are buying. The old saying is always buy the seller. Good luck with whatever you decide.

2. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior Member

63A2A9B2-E9A4-4511-AD6D-2F11FAA208CC.jpeg

Just wanted to pop in and toss a photo of the SLA017 in here. Haven’t been around in awhile, plan to keep up with the thread a bit more.

View attachment 957080

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Distinguished Member

Valid point - I think the seller and piece are both good from everything I can tell. There’s an in-house 1yr warranty as well, which is reassuring too. I’ll pick it up even if they don’t drop the price further, but have to give it a shot!

4. Terminator

Terminator Senior Member

9D40A86D-C6F7-47F8-B352-11FC8486BCC4.jpeg

5. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

Yet another example where a 36mm DJ destroys the competition. I have a 116200 and could not recommend it more highly. I advise going with the oyster bracelet for versatility. The blue dial/stick markers is a winner. I went with silver but won't lie that every time I see the blue it makes me question that decision.

Good luck w whatever you end up with

6. SeaDweller

SeaDweller Senior Member

Ah... a true Rolex purist I see? I think the 36 mm proportions are nice, but luckily they also added the 126300 and the likes to the line up to replace the bloated DJ II proportions. I can’t recommend the DJ41 enough, and the fact it really only measures 39.xx mm across the width of the case.

7. SeaDweller

SeaDweller Senior Member

No warranty card should command at least another $500+ off. No way I’d buy it without papers.

Have you tried David SW? I’ve used him for several purchases and he can’t be recommended enough on the Rolex forums. What is it that you’re after?

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

DavidSW and Takuya are both highly recommend on the Rolex forums. DavidSW has a much larger Rolex selection online than Takuya but if you email Takuya I'm sure he can find what you want.

9. SeaDweller

SeaDweller Senior Member

Thanh is great. I love how I can text either at any time and they respond immediately.

10. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

Nice. I agree with all the others who have said that it looks the best on you. :)

For me, the classic Datejust has become a favourite, and even more so now that the proper end links for the Oyster bracelet arrived:

[​IMG]

DJs generally seem to offer a good balance between complex details and overall simplicity, and I find that the original 36 mm size somehow works with everything. There's just something chilled-out about wearing one; you don't really feel the need for a different watch.

There are near-limitless variations on the model. Just to complicate your decision a bit, here’s a photo of one of my favourite modern configurations:

[​IMG]

I used to think the fluted bezel was completely lame, but now I really dig the effect it adds in real life. Of course, it would probably look even better with the blue dial. :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

11. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

I'll start by saying no warranty might only command $500 off, but depending on the buyer and a potential future buyer down the road it may matter. I would say see what else you can find with a warranty and what sort of deal you can get before going after this one.

My last purchase was from DavidSW. I'd contacted him numerous times before that. I would definitely recommend him. I've also had communication with Takuya multiple times and he's always been quite responsive.

12. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Distinguished Member

Done

43C8BF7F-F05F-4427-9130-5A3C4A09CE35.jpeg

13. Terminator

Terminator Senior Member

Welcome to the blue dial, stick marker DJ36 club!

14. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

Seconded!

[​IMG]

The blue sunburst dial is my favourite no matter what kind of Datejust it’s on. :)

15. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member