1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

I think those cushion cases look fantastic, and being just a touch smaller gives it wonderful proportions - even on Belligero's giant orcish frame. In case you're in any doubt, that's a firm "yes" from me!

2. Winot

Winot Senior member

Thank you! Yes I have been searching for a while and you are right they are few and far between. Recently I have found a rose gold rattrappante version, whichI am very tempted by, and would snap it up were it not for the fact it is just north of GBP 10K. It's time for that end of the tax year decision - ISA or watch, ISA or watch...

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that someone who posts (or posted) in this thread has one, but perhaps in gold?

It's from a "heritage" sort of line that GP did a while back called the Vintage 1966 or Vintage 1960 line.

If I remember correctly, it's powered by a modified ETA movement with a Dubois-Depraz 2030 chronograph module piggy-backed on to the base movement (which is actually quite common - lots of manufacturers do it).

Edited to add: Beaten to it by Belligero - he was the owner of whom I was thinking!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  4. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Remember - "The value of your investment can go down as well as up so you may get back less than you originally invested" This applies to watches too.

But it's much more fun.

2 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Would £7.5k be OK? Otherwise, a steel one with black dial is well under £2k. They all look good to me. The rattrappante versions are cool at a higher price, but I like these dial layouts more. Enter the Enabler...

6. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

God love you, Mimo.

1 person likes this.
  7. Winot

Winot Senior member

Yep, had just spotted the first one and have already emailed the seller [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

As much as I love the GP 1960, that price is getting into Tortue Monopoussoir territory:

[​IMG]
    image credit: Monochrome

GP also made a tonneau-cased two-register chronograph with a manual Lemania movement called the Richeville. There was one at a shop in Amsterdam in December for about €4.5K in 18K rose gold with blued hands and a great silver dial; I was highly tempted.

4 people like this.
  9. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

That's a great looking watch. I assumed it would be in the $10K territory so never looked into it too much but around $5K is a great deal.

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

You assumed correctly. There are several dealer listings for that Cartier chrono starting at just over USD 10K, mostly in 18K white gold.

The GP Richeville looks like this (there are several case materials, a ton of dial options and at least two different chrono movements within this model range):

[​IMG]
    image credit: WatchMike on uhrenforum

The rose-gold-cased version with a handwound Lemania movement was the one I saw for for under €5K. Regrets about any misunderstanding.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  11. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

I've been wearing my Mark XV more and more after renewed interests in IWC's pilot line at this year's SIHH. [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

@Belligero - Thanks for the clarification and now that I reread your post, it made sense originally. I blame pre-caffeine posting.

13. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

I put up a new video review yesterday, if you like that sort of thing....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. no frills

no frills Senior member

I sensed a disturbance in the TWAT force and made my way to this thread (thanks @jbarwick for the mention).

Let me back read...

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

We are complete. All hail the TWAT King. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Winot

Winot Senior member

Nice, but it's the combination of the round dial with the cushion case that twists my melon.

2 people like this.
  17. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I understand completely. :nodding:

18. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Speaking of BLNR....
    [​IMG]

I bought this in spring of 2014 and have had it on my wrist almost every day since then. I haven't been able to come up with a definitive next addition yet. Have been been going back and forth between a few different watches including a 1931 Reverso, PAM512, JLC ultra thin moon, Speedmaster, and IWC Portuguese Automatic. It's been fun learning about different watches in the last couple years!

1 person likes this.
  19. Suetonius

Suetonius Well-Known Member

El Cheapo here

Anyone ever bought from Watchesaholic and are they reputable? They've got some nice discounts on, I'd not mind a MVMT watch for £25 just for a second option.

20. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Great collection so let's see it please :slayer:

:slayer: