1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

VC traditionelle small seconds, Lange Saxonia.

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

VC should be RG. Lange I could go either way.

3. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

VC in rose (unless you go for the platinum and perhaps odd dial color for a simple dress watch, but that's my favorite version)
    Lange, I like their white gold across the board. Something about the white gold just fits their aesthetic more to my eye.

4. dcg

dcg Distinguished Member

In my opinion, the VC in rose gold is the choice here. And I say that as a huge Lange fan.
    Also, I am jealous.

5. Winot

Winot Senior Member

Did someone say rose gold Lange?

532A04EE-060C-4D4E-A02B-D98B45187B14.jpeg

6. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

I'd go rose gold for either, but particularly the VC. I think the Traditionelle is really beautiful . It's one of my favorite VC offerings in recent years. A friend who works at dealer that was losing its VC contract contacted me because they had a few pieces left at a very nice discount. I asked about the Traditionelle, and he said they had 1 left but it was in WG. I went to look at it and it was nice, and the price was enticing...but I just didn't love it in WG. The best idea is to go and see them in person and then decide. Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever metal and watch you choose.

7. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Distinguished Member

Honey Gold has to be the choice if Lange is an option. Just look at this:

[​IMG]

Absolutely stunning. That 1815 is high on my list, and I might keep an eye out for one of those 200 to pop up in a few years

8. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Ooooh, that is lovely. And Winot's choice looks great as well.

9. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

Love the Lange in honey gold, but isn't it 40mm? I would expect it to wear a bit big at that size.

10. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

The base model 1815 is 38.5mm. I don’t think the honey gold is available for purchase anymore.

11. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

Yeah, but I don't think they ever did an 1815 in honey gold that was 38.5mm, did they?

I would probably go 36mm if I got an 1815.

12. Nvspwndamnstr39

Nvspwndamnstr39 Senior Member

Where no one knows what good coffee is nor what a
    I'm hoping you watch enthusiasts can help me figure out my plans for watch acquisitions this year. I wrote in about a year ago having realized that I wanted to move on from my early-2000s, Valjoux 7750-based Breitling chrono into the Rolex sport world. I ended up buying a BLNR from my local AD last April and then purchased an LVc Submariner from the famous grey dealer DavidSW at the end of the summer (before the great stainless steel drought of end-2017). I've had no regrets with either model and the pair seems to cover most of my daily needs (I don't really need a dress watch as a private practice mental health professional who determines his own dress code day to day). A number of you experts emphasized that I should take my time, learn about lots of different brands and models, try on lots of watches, and enjoy the ride. I did so and was glad to not be beset with my typical buyer's remorse and wondering if I made the right decision.

When 2018 started, I thought I wanted to get a chrono to fill the absence of my dear old Breitling. I entertained a ceramic Daytona, but felt a bit upset by all of the waiting lists and the almost 25% upcharge on the grey market. Although it might be sacrilege to the true WISs out there, I found myself thinking I'd perhaps like a chrono with a date window, so I thought an Omega 1957 speedy might be the way to go. A friend of mine has a non-1957 Speedy in a 41mm case, and I tried it on and thought the biggish lugs made the Speedy a bit of a challenge for my 6.5" John McEnroe wrists. So I tabled the chrono issue and thought I might like to have a dressy-ish, less sporty watch on a steel bracelet with the option to go with a leather strap (when I post the Rolex SS watches on a shell cordovan or nylon NATO on TRF, I just get made fun of and told to keep the Rolices on the bracelet).

Strangely, I was shopping for raw denim on Self Edge and saw a pic of the famous Self Edge model guy wearing a japanese workwear shirt, some Iron Hearts and a Cartier. All of a sudden, something in me clicked and I found myself thinking I might like to add a Cartier to the collection due to its sense of history, elegance, and option for smaller case sizes. This winter, I thought I should go with a simple model and started looking at the Tank Solo. The XL solo at my local AD came off looking a bit big for my wrist with its very chunky, non-tapering bracelet. The large solo was the right proportion for me, but I thought my watch collecting friends in town would deride me for purchasing a quartz watch, although a sub $2500 purchase would be easier to bring home than an almost 5-figure Rolex. Neither choice seemed "just right."

I got home tonight and did some digging and realized I might be the last person in the watch universe to hear that Cartier is re-doing the Santos collectionas of this year's SIHH, with some interesting models dropping in April ( https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/cartier-santos-collection-2018-introducing ). The new Cartier de Santos has an old school Cartier feel to my eye, which is a good thing; the screws on the bezel and bracelet might scratch my itch for a Royal Oak (which still feels a bit too big boy of a watch for a guy like me who grew up in humble old Yonkers NY); the in-house movement might well keep me from being made fun of by my Nomos and VC-wearing buddies; and I must admit I'm a fan of the easy-link, easy strap change setup. The sub-6k price for a steel model isn't absurd for my budget, so as of tonight, I'm smitten and think I've identified the next watch.

My question for you guys (and I'm sorry for the TLDR-ness of this free associative post) is: am I misguided and silly or is the new Santos the classic-but-modern, versatile, not-too-expensive watch that dresses up better than my steel Rolexes--or, is it a watch that I will end up regretting having bought once I age a little more and learn even more about this watch collecting thing. If I don't buy a Cartier, a part of me wants to buy the zBlue Milgauss that started my whole fascination with watches last year.

The heart wants what the heart wants, but I want to make sure I'm not being crazy in the head while dealing with my Cartier infatuation. And yes, I did look at JLC, but it for some reason hasn't quite tugged at the heart strings for me. Thanks in advance for any perspective you can offer!

Here's a quick, crummy pic of the blnr against my favorite Blue Blue Japan patchwork pants. Thanks for reading...
    BLNR for SF post.JPG

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Well, I'll have a go then! Also, you make me want to use the name Urt14mefty...

I won't get into the Cartier thing too much (this is Professor Dino's most lauded research area), other than to say that I like the Tank and, quartz or not, it's not a monstrously expensive indulgence. My only bugbear there is the date on a dress watch. For a similar aesthetic and historical cred but betterer, I say "Reverso Tribute to 1931". More shekels, but more everything imho.

This chrono thing of yours. I wouldn't pay top dollar for a ceramic Daytona either (let's just pretend I'm not a bum and could afford one anyway), not just because of the price: the steel one is beautiful. I'd maybe think about picking up an older, used steel Daytona. It fits your chrono requirement, is modestly sized by modern sports watch standards, and dresses up rather nicely I feel. Completing a Rolex trinity with an old Daytona strikes me as quite admirable.

But, it needs to sing loud for that kind of money (even used, it's the most expensive yet), and if it doesn't, then go back to Omega: but not a reinvented reissued limited classic something-or-other. Take a look at a Speedmaster. It's as classic and iconic as anything out there, and the standard hand-wind model is just gorgeous - also working brilliantly on a strap when you feel like it. At 42mm it might still feel large, but it's thinner than your Rolexes I think, so might wear easier. And it's about a quarter of the Daytona's price. You could even pick up one of the 40mm auto "racing" versions for a grand less. But, final shout: the 38mm Speedmaster Coaxial (also auto) has the same price - and a date window!

If none of that works, get the damn Milgauss. It's your watch! :)

14. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

Good points there. :cheers:

This may also fit the bill:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pmeis

pmeis Senior Member

I also might suggest looking at the various 38mm Zenith El Primeros. Fairly affordable and wear a bit nicer than most of the newer 39mm Speedmasters IMO.