1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

A lot of temptation there...both are just such great deals, and so distinctive.

Today, new fast food place open...@no frills made me do it...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. no frills

no frills Senior member

THE SHACK!!!

3. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

[​IMG]
    Great minds think alike [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. no frills

no frills Senior member

It's drizzling a little here in NYC. I'm concerned that my DSSD won't be able to handle it...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. atia2

atia2 Senior member

And with its "Ring Lock System" you're also safe to go for a spicy meal.

3 people like this.
  6. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

There is a professional saturation diver on the Rolex forum that has been having issues with his and last I heard they weren't able to correct the issue because of some sort of design characteristic.

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Man, why does anyone buy those crappy unproven Rolex divers?

I'll swap you. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

I used to scuba dive a whole lot, but not that much anymore. Muff diving more my preference. So far, the DSSD has proven itself robust enough to withstand that...

My God, @mimo I don't know how you can risk getting that Monster wet!

4 people like this.
  9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Presumably the SD4000 can manage light foreplay, and the Sub perhaps lascivious intent?

2 people like this.
  10. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Interesting. Did the crystal pop out, like on the earlier Subs, while in the deco chamber? I thought Rolex and Comex developed the SD with saturation divers in mind.

Do you have a link to the thread?

11. alford78

No it didn't fail but condensation would fog up the crystal just a tiny bit and had it inspected I'm pretty sure before finally the center sent it off to Rolex HQ. From memory no signs of water damage where apparent when was at local dealer even though it fogged.

I will check for link and see if has been updated next time I'm browsing over there.

12. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

[​IMG]

A friend's hulk. Would never have thought green could work so well.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I really like the dark green dial, but I've never liked the color green that they used for the ceramic bezel.

2 people like this.
  14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I'm with Dino. Although I have considered this model in the past, I like the dial way more than the bezel.

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

The LV bezel is different, right? Metallic and a bit more subtle with the black dial.

But that Hulk is still cool.

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, the LV bezel is different in color and appearance. I'm not sure I'd say the bezel is more subtle, just that its sort of metallic and compliments the black dial and steel watch quite well.

To me, the Hulk bezel doesn't compliment the dial. Its just sort of a weird medium green that I don't care for. I wish it were a much deeper and darker green like the dial. Although, I suppose ceramic limits the colors they can create for a bezel.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  17. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I like the Hulk and ceramic rocks, but seeing it next to the older LV made me really appreciate the older model. I like the contrast between the bezel and the black dial.

18. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I had something of an odd thought recently and since I can imagine no better group of individuals to share it with, here it is:

3 weeks ago, my wife and I had a daughter, two months premature. Everyone is at home now and doing great, thankfully, so I have some time to breathe. At the moment, I am breathing during the midnight feeding, so clearly my wife is much smarter than me... Anyway, I have been thinking about how to appropriately mark the occasion of my daughter's birth, and I thought a watch, with a twist, would be an interesting idea. The twist would be that I would buy a watch now that would be my primary watch until her 18th/ 21st birthday, at which time, it would become her watch. FOr some reason, this scenario appeals to me, so I wanted to get feedback on things I may have neglected to consider as well as thoughts on an appropriate watch. For whatever reason, Rolex has been in my mind's eye when I have been thinking about this idea, but I am not sure why.

So, thoughts?

P.S. I am slightly delirious at the moment from lack of sleep, so if the above makes no sense or is unreadable, please forgive me...

4 people like this.
  19. alford78

People do this all the time in form of purchasing relevant model numbers for the year they wish the watch to represent. There are many new Rolex models out this year for you to choose from if that's what is on your mind. There are colorful dials as well that would work as unisex and the explorer would work as a unisex too. Just my two cents...

Congrats! We had a 10 week early son 4 years ago. 2.5lbs and just fit in palms of my hands. He must not have cared much for the hospital because he only stayed 9 days before was eating enough on his own in the allotted time period for each bottle thank goodness. We were 4 hours away from home at Louisville Children's Hospital.

2 people like this.
  20. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Congratulations! Nothing changes you like a new addition to the family. I don't miss those middle of the night feedings. The crown seems like a logical choice since there are clear records on years of production. But this year's SIHH/Basel exhibitions had some really neat pieces. The Tag Monza with PVD finish and the Sinn 910 Split Chrono come to mind.