• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article 26

Reaction score
85615F23-353A-491C-B678-78E2C70581CC.jpeg
View attachment 922459

got this today -- Seiko Presage Blue Enamel dial

View attachment 922458
I was in town and came across the Seiko boutique, naively, I thought I could just pop in and pick up the above watch... bought two others instead - couldn’t walk out with nothing!

Thanks the inspiration!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 923003
I was in town and came across the Seiko boutique, naively, I thought I could just pop in and pick up the above watch... bought two others instead - couldn’t walk out with nothing!

Thanks the inspiration!

Well, you can't just post photos of bags and boxes and not show us the results of your boutique experience! Let's see what you chose...
:lurk:

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice - love the blue. What diameter is it?

View attachment 923003

Thanks the inspiration!

by the looks of it, I am a little late with the answer (though for anyone else who may be interested, it is 40.5 mm)

echoing the above sentiment, let's see what you got?

OscarO

Reaction score
All Rolex Day Dates are generally referred to as the President. I'm pretty sure DD's only come in precious metals so you'll never see a stainless steel.

That is correct. Rolex only makes Day-Dates in precious metals (18Kt or platinum).

The bracelet on the original Day-Dates was often called the President Bracelet and for decades that was the only bracelet on a Day-Date. Then within the last 10-15 years or so they started offering Day-Dates with an Oyster bracelet. So I'm not sure if people still consider a Day-Date a President when its not on the traditional President bracelet.
There are actually 6 stainless steel day dates, ref 6611. The 6611 was also available in gold, and didn’t come on a presidential bracelet. After the 6611, the 18xx series started producing.
D9A894B2-EA54-4F1D-8A13-3145B16A5DD5.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are actually 6 stainless steel day dates, ref 6611. The 6611 was also available in gold, and didn’t come on a presidential bracelet. After the 6611, the 18xx series started producing.
View attachment 923080

Yes, there were a handful of early steel Day-Dates although most of us have/will only ever see a steel 6611 in a photograph. I suppose if you want to get technical about it, we could say that Rolex has produced a steel Day-Date for several decades through Tudor (although again not on a President Bracelet). However, for the bulk of the last 60 plus years Rolex itself has has only offered the Day-Date in precious metals. While the Day-Date/President is a classic Rolex model, I can't say its ever been one of my favorite pieces. Also, I wouldn't be willing to pay more for a rare steel one than one in a precious metal, but that's just me. Cheers!

PS...its really nice that you have a classic dress watch from your dad, and from such a well respected brand! Its wonderful to have something you can wear and always be remembered of loved ones.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@sood I really like the dial, but i reckon the watch is perhaps a bit large for a dressy kind of watch. Is the strap blue as well? it is difficult to tell from the photo :)

OscarO

Reaction score
Yes, there were a handful of early steel Day-Dates although most of us have/will only ever see a steel 6611 in a photograph. I suppose if you want to get technical about it, we could say that Rolex has produced a steel Day-Date for several decades through Tudor (although again not on a President Bracelet). However, for the bulk of the last 60 plus years Rolex itself has has only offered the Day-Date in precious metals. While the Day-Date/President is a classic Rolex model, I can't say its ever been one of my favorite pieces. Also, I wouldn't be willing to pay more for a rare steel one than one in a precious metal, but that's just me. Cheers!

PS...its really nice that you have a classic dress watch from your dad, and from such a well respected brand! Its wonderful to have something you can wear and always be remembered of loved ones.
Yes they are rarer than hens teeth!
But yeah the day date is pretty strongly connected to precious metals which I like.
It definitely isn’t one of my favorites either, though I do think some of the dials are fantastic and as thinking of picking one up this year.
Onyx is one of my favorite dials, but malachite and a few others are closely behind.
A friend has a nice onyx with a Russian date wheel that looks awesome
87D73B58-821E-4EAD-8E15-508EB253EE55.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they are rarer than hens teeth!
But yeah the day date is pretty strongly connected to precious metals which I like.
It definitely isn’t one of my favorites either, though I do think some of the dials are fantastic and as thinking of picking one up this year.
Onyx is one of my favorite dials, but malachite and a few others are closely behind.
A friend has a nice onyx with a Russian date wheel that looks awesome
View attachment 923143

Wow, you're friend's onyx dial with Russian date wheel is very cool !!! I do like some of the stone dial options such as the onyx, and the lapis is quite nice too. I knew a guy who had an all yellow gold Datejust on a Jubilee bracelet with hidden clasp and his watch had a malachite dial. While I think the different colors in the malachite looked very cool, I didn't really like the combination of green with yellow gold...I think if someone likes lots of different colors in a stone dial the tiger's eye works better with yellow gold. Wishing you luck with your search from the right Day-Date.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads