• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Went back to the dealers to look at the watch again today. I feel my concerns with the dial size was quite overblown and I think ROs' in 36-38mm hits the sweet spot. I only got interested in sports watches over the past few months and I felt that the Nautilus (40mm) was too large. I've always felt that dress watches in 36-37mm is both classic, understated and fits my wrist well.

With the RO, it's a matter of deciding between the dial colours-white/cream or ruthenium-grey and what discounts can be negotiated.

Any thoughts on which dial is a better match for a SS RO?

One AD (white dial) offered 10% whilst the other (ruthenium-grey) initially said pricing is firm on all SS sport watches. Only after some gentle persuasion did i manage to extract 5%. @Texasmade it appears you got a really great price on your 15400. I may sleep on it for a day or two before making a counter offer but I can only see the deal consuming if I can achieve something in the region of 15-20% of MSRP.

I haven't shopped AP pricing in a while and I don't know what the market is like in Sydney, but I'd push for a better deal than the ones you have been offered. I think either dial is neutral enough that you could wear them with anything. Go for whichever you like the most.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went XMAS shopping today (for watches) and tried several ROs. I felt the 15400 (41mm) was too large and chunky but the 15450 ticked a number of boxes.

View attachment 892369
First impression I really liked this watch.
- same calibre as used in the 15400
- calibre is an appropriate size for the dial
- comfortable bracelet
- price (relatively)
Dislikes
- at 37mm, some consider it as a ladies watch
- resale concerns due to above

I also tried the same watch with a brown dial at another AD although I neglected to take any wrist shots.
View attachment 892376

I preferred the brown over the white although the latter appears more popular.

Questions:
- do you think it’s acceptable for men to wear mid-size watches such as this?
- do you think resale will be weaker than for 15400 or 15202 models?
- what level of discounting can be expected for a SS RO?
———
As a comparison, I also tried the nautilus 7118. I recently tried the 5712 but this felt like a better fit for my wrist.

View attachment 892370
But in shrinking the proportion they’ve also made subtle changes to the dial that has made the watch more feminine. That and the fact it is listed under ladies watches in both their website and catalogue.

Obvious solution is obvious. Go for a 15300.

Obvious bias is also obvious, but who cares. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm sure I missed it, as it was released a bit ago, but what are the prevailing thoughts here about the new Rolex Cellini Moonphase?

I think its stunning.

rolex_cellini_moonphase_dial.jpg

Rolex-Cellini-Moonphase-1.jpg

Article 26

Reaction score
Also, I'm sure I missed it, as it was released a bit ago, but what are the prevailing thoughts here about the new Rolex Cellini Moonphase?

I think its stunning.

It’s not horrid, but it’s not elegant either. Have a look at JLC or Patek or ( if you like German design) a AL&S.
I have a PP 240 ps moon phase, I love it, it’s my daily wear. But, as you would say, “horses for courses”.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not horrid, but it’s not elegant either. Have a look at JLC or Patek or ( if you like German design) a AL&S.
I have a PP 240 ps moon phase, I love it, it’s my daily wear. But, as you would say, “horses for courses”.

After nearly a decade in the watch business, and two decades of being a watch nerd, I am quite familiar with the other brands/models out there, thanks. :)

I know that was horribly obnoxious, but I just couldn't resist.

Not looking to buy, just curious about popular opinion here among TWAT geeks.

Pics of your PP 240 tho!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think its stunning.
I agree with you.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:cheers:

Article 26

Reaction score
E5451908-3496-47BA-A21C-59E72645FF3D.jpeg
After nearly a decade in the watch business, and two decades of being a watch nerd, I am quite familiar with the other brands/models out there, thanks. :)

I know that was horribly obnoxious, but I just couldn't resist.

Not looking to buy, just curious about popular opinion here among TWAT geeks.

Pics of your PP 240 tho!
Watch business, in what respect... how about a SF discount?!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful!

Lol. 2 years ago, sure. But out of the game now. :(

I worked for a company that specialized in the high end buying of all manner of things, mostly from private sellers, and I was the watch side. Bought a lot of stuff and sold a lot of stuff. Was fun times!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think its stunning.

It doesn't really do anything for me. I guess I've never been into the Cellini Rolex line. As a James Bond fan the old "King Midas" model is a bit of novelty as Christopher Lee, who played the villain, Francisco Scaramanga, wore one in movie, "The Man with the Golden Gun." However, I've never really wanted to own a King Midas, and most of the Cellini pieces have always fallen somewhere in between bland and not my taste. On Moonphase you mentioned, I find the dial rather busy with the date along the outer edge, the split indices with the minute track running through them. I like that they used some meteorite for the moon, but the little pointer to me seems silly and doesn't really show the phases of the moon in a meaningful way. So if I were in the market for a moonphase watch, I'd be looking to other makers.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting feedback, as always. Thanks, Dino.

I still love it, even considering your points. I wonder if its just the novelty and it will wear off, or if it will have some staying power in my heart. =]

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting feedback, as always. Thanks, Dino.

I still love it, even considering your points. I wonder if its just the novelty and it will wear off, or if it will have some staying power in my heart. =]

Rolex doesn't put anything on the market without a lot of testing and so I'm sure its a well made, high quality watch. I am a big fan of Rolex watches, but TBH, when someone says Rolex I just don't associate them with dress watches. When I hear the name Rolex, I think Submariner, GMT Master, Daytona, SD, Explorer, DD and DJ. Cellini doesn't even come to mind unless someone specifically mentions it. Maybe its from years of Subs, GMTS, and Daytonas being my "Grail watches" and my day dreaming and reading as much as I could about them. Or perhaps its from decades of looking in Rolex AD showcases and seeing Subs, GMTS, Daytonas, Explorers, DJs, etc. prominently displayed, while Cellini pieces were often to the sides or back of the cases.

Admittedly, I tend to categorize several brands...even if they make some dress watches and some sports watches.
I tend to think of Patek, VC, JLC, Piaget, GP, and Cartier etc. as dress watch brands.
I tend to think of AP, Rolex, IWC, Omega, Panerai as sports watch brands.

With some brands I could easily buy one of their sport watches even if I predominately consider the brand a maker of dress watches (or vice versa), but with Rolex I just don't seem myself ever going to the Cellini line. The closest I could see myself going to a dress watch from Rolex would be a DJ or a DD. Cheers!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fascinating stuff, as usual, Dino.

I definitely appreciate where you’re coming from, and I think in a sense I do think of certain brands as either a sport or dress brand, primarily. But, I also don’t think that would deter me from purchasing a watch from any of those brands outside of how I may have previously categorized them, if it was something I really liked.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Dropped off my Patek at a local authorized service agent. Needs a service and maybe a small repair (cannon pinion). Hoping it stays local and doesn't have to go to NY or... gulp... overseas. I was told the Geneva waiting time now is 6-7 months. :fu:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...when someone says Rolex I just don't associate them with dress watches. When I hear the name Rolex, I think Submariner, GMT Master, Daytona, SD, Explorer, DD and DJ. Cellini doesn't even come to mind unless someone specifically mentions it.

Admittedly, I tend to categorize several brands...even if they make some dress watches and some sports watches.
I tend to think of Patek, VC, JLC, Piaget, GP, and Cartier etc. as dress watch brands.
I tend to think of AP, Rolex, IWC, Omega, Panerai as sports watch brands.

Same here. If I wanted a dress watch, I'd go for ALS, PP, VC, JLC or the like. Companies that have a history of making dress watches (well ALS recent history is quite short). Sports watches on a metal bracelet would be AP, Omega, and Rolex. A JLC sports watch or FP Journe watch on a bracelet would just be too far out there for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads