• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ATLVol

Reaction score
Yes, would like to handle in person if possible. I spoke with someone at the car dealership yesterday and he has purchased 5 Rolexes from a local AD that will double the standard 5 year warranty. Might just end up buying from a local AD.

atia2

Reaction score
You are probably right. But i reckon you understood my question hence quite a douchebag move on your part.

?

If I understand your question, it was whether you can buy a watch that satisfies all your horological desires. Nobody can answer that question unless you specify your horological desires. If you do that, I'd be happy to add my douchebag advice.

My point, however, was to question why you want to call this hypothetical watch a "collection". It would not be a collection of watches. It would be a watch. If you want a collection, you would need to collect at least one more. Of course, there's nothing particularly great or special about being a watch collector, but with one watch you wouldn't be one.

You might, however, have a very nice watch.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are probably right. But i reckon you understood my question hence quite a douchebag move on your part.

Regarding the one watch question. That is definitely a personal choice. My suggestion would be to look and try on as many watches as possible until you find one that you love. However if you have questions about particular watches. I would be more than happy to help.

?

If I understand your question, it was whether you can buy a watch that satisfies all your horological desires. Nobody can answer that question unless you specify your horological desires. If you do that, I'd be happy to add my douchebag advice.

My point, however, was to question why you want to call this hypothetical watch a "collection". It would not be a collection of watches. It would be a watch. If you want a collection, you would need to collect at least one more. Of course, there's nothing particularly great or special about being a watch collector, but with one watch you wouldn't be one.

I agree with everything you said.

PS. Was definitely not a douchebag comment

I personally am a watch collector. My collection focuses primarily on vintage Rolex sports models. The only reason to collect something, whether is be watches or anything else for that matter is because you get enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
?

I guess it never occured to you that one watch collection was just a phrasing; i could just as well has said "one watch for everything" or the more common abbreviation "GADA - go anywhere, do anything" watch. In stead i just went with the term 'one watch collecting', which you clearly saw as a great error. I reckon i keep my watch talk with watchuseek, seems like a better crowd.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts about one-watch collections? I have been trying to get a "one watch collection" for ages, but it is near impossible to get just one that tick all your boxes. So far i have considered, Omega Aqua Terra, Omega 2254, Oris Aquis and currently the IWC mark xvi. Most are in the dress hybrid genre.

My first nice watch was supposed to be a OneWatch(TM). Then I decided I liked watches and got another nice watch the following year. Anyways, I think a OneWatch should have the following features:

Three hands
Date
Plain bezel (sorry Sub lovers!)
Bracelet
At least 100m water resistance

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it never occured to you that one watch collection was just a phrasing; i could just as well has said "one watch for everything" or the more common abbreviation "GADA - go anywhere, do anything" watch. In stead i just went with the term 'one watch collecting', which you clearly saw as a great error. I reckon i keep my watch talk with watchuseek, seems like a better crowd.
Easy fella... The only person acting douchey around here seems to be you. You seem awfully touchy, why dont you relax a little, not take things so personally and stick around. Or not. Whatever. YOLO right? (The YOLO bit was intended to be ironic, fyi...)

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were going to do only one watch, it'd need to have a date, steel bracelet, 100 M water resistant, sturdy, self-winding and GMT or dual time function. Rolex GMT blnr or Explorer basically.

roomiller

Reaction score
Ultimate "one watch," in my opinion, would be the Nautilus jumbo.

My first nice watch was supposed to be a OneWatch(TM). Then I decided I liked watches and got another nice watch the following year. Anyways, I think a OneWatch should have the following features:

Three hands
Date
Plain bezel (sorry Sub lovers!)
Bracelet
At least 100m water resistance

Same thoughts but different Genta. I'll take one 14500, please!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One watch for me. 15300. Ticks all my boxes.

Would add a Zeitwerk repeating if not for funding concerns.

Would also add a bunch of other nick-nacks too.

But in reality I have been a one watch guy for about 2 years now I think. It satifies my needs and always makes me smile.

roomiller

Reaction score
Would add a Zeitwerk repeating if not for funding concerns.

Would also add a bunch of other nick-nacks too.

Literally watched a Zeitwerk video on Instagram, thought to myself "other than water resistance, that'd make an awesome one watch", and popped back into the thread only to read this :cheers:

Also the fiance said "Wow, I really like that", and then immediately retracted that statement when I told her the msrp

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. Classic. :)

:fistbump:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same thoughts but different Genta. I'll take one 14500, please!

One watch for everything, for me it's the 15202. Sporty enough for casual days with jeans, yet elegant enough for dressier occasions and a suit.

FullSizeRender_zpsmvkdntbz.jpg

Now if its one watch to wear forever on a deserted island and it will have to go decades without service and survive harsh conditions ...it would would be a my BLNR or a Submariner.

atia2

Reaction score
On the "one watch" question, I have three watches: a Rolex Oysterquartz 17000; a JLC Reverso Shadow GT; and an Omega Speedmaster Mark II. Of those, the only one I've never thought inappropriate for an occasion is the Oysterquartz. It's close enough to a regular Datejust to be worn formally, but the slightly chunkier and more angular design make it sporty enough to be worn with short sleeves. It's not my favourite of the three but it's by far the most versatile, and it's the one I would keep if I could keep only one.

Interesting that, in design terms, it's not dissimilar to the PP Nautilus and AP RO, which have also been recommended as versatile watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads