• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Habring2 Globetrotter. Pretty cool indie brand. Not sure about cost.

Chrono_Felix_Globetrotter_-0952b108521c8cb93e344fd3c28947cf.jpg

They do some cool stuff but always a little boring at the price point VS other watches.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah! Re: 215. However, disagree on the Reverso numbers. Arabic numbers on the night ampersand day, were good.
In the sober light of day, I reverse my judgment of the Arabic numerals. I’ve got to use these fleeting moments of clarity wisely, thinking about watches I have no interest in even trying on.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A blast from the past.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason specifically to opt for a new sub from this year VS any time in the last ~10 years or so? Most changes seem pretty incremental?
Each have it's merits. I have a 40 MM Sub LV from 2005. It's a classic Sub, with the SEL bracelet, but hollow center links stamped steel clasp and stamped steel extension link. It's tough enough to withstand anything just about you can Subject it too. The dimensions are perfect, and I like the shade of green on its bezel more than the all solid green bezel of the current Starbucks Sub. I also like it more than the Hulk, which had a beautiful dial, but the bezel just looked ugly against it.

That being said, I have a new 41 MM Sub no Date, and I really think it's a modern classic. It has the looks we have come to expect from a Sub, great proportions and narrower lugs again. The quality is significantly better especially in terms of bracelet and clasp feel, and the micro adjustment clasp is really nice.

When I wear my 2005 Sub, I feel like it's all you need for a classic Rolex diving watch. Then I put on the new one and it's like wearing a classic Sub, but the improvements make it look and feel even nicer. Try on some vintage and a new one and see how you feeling about them.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I wear my 2005 Sub, I feel like it's all you need for a classic Rolex diving watch. Then I put on the new one and it's like wearing a classic Sub, but the improvements make it look and feel even nicer. Try on some vintage and a new one and see how you feeling about them.

Interesting. Kind of mirrors my experience owning an older datejust. It just felt a little cheaper/jankier than the current gen.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Kind of mirrors my experience owning an older datejust. It just felt a little cheaper/jankier than the current gen.
But proportions haven’t changed nearly as much on the DJ (36). The difference in appearance between 5-digit sub, maxi-case ceramic and 41mm is rather stark imo

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But proportions haven’t changed nearly as much on the DJ (36). The difference in appearance between 5-digit sub, maxi-case ceramic and 41mm is rather stark imo

I don't think i've seen a Tudor in-person but it seems like those divers are closer to vintage proportions ?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any decent-looking chronographs in the ~$5k price range that also (1) have a GMT function; and (2) do not have a totally cluttered dial? Whether there are two or three chronograph subdials is not important.
Good question.
I generally like chronographs but don’t use the function all that often. Most of my watches have dive bezels which work well enough for timing events.
I do like GMT functions and think it’s the most practical of watch features beyond H/M/S//D.

Take a look at Bremont. They did a Boeing chrono with subtle GMT scale on the rehaut and a dive bezel. Three subdials. I remember almost pulling the trigger on one several years ago for about $3.6k but I couldn’t stomach the 4 o clock date that was a deal breaker for me.

Jazzmenco on the PMW thread often shows a GMT chrono - I forget the brand but you could trawl the thread and see it. My main beef with his is a very short GMT hand.

My holy grail is a (non chrono) dive watch with a dive bezel, GMT hand with subtle 24 hour scale on the rehaut and both day and date windows. I didn’t know such a thing existed but apparently Ball has the movement unfortunately with a fugly dial. I tried to create this with a Seiko mod but couldn’t combine all the features sonhad to forego the date. This won’t be to the taste of some of the more refined TWATs but I post it here for reference in case anyone’s interested. The idea was to create the ultimate vacation watch ready for the beach, diving plus GMT for the time back home!
IMG_9751.jpeg

Edited to add - instead of a GMT hand have you considered a 12 hour bezel? It’s an easy-to-read way to see time in a separate time zone and avoids the clutter of some GMT dials.

(It so happens I’m selling my Heuer Autavia (note it’s a Heuer not a Tag!😁) bought new in 2017, three subdials with the date subtly inserted at 6 o clock within the running seconds subdial. $3.5k shipped conusa!)

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Each have it's merits. I have a 40 MM Sub LV from 2005. It's a classic Sub, with the SEL bracelet, but hollow center links stamped steel clasp and stamped steel extension link. It's tough enough to withstand anything just about you can Subject it too. The dimensions are perfect, and I like the shade of green on its bezel more than the all solid green bezel of the current Starbucks Sub. I also like it more than the Hulk, which had a beautiful dial, but the bezel just looked ugly against it.

That being said, I have a new 41 MM Sub no Date, and I really think it's a modern classic. It has the looks we have come to expect from a Sub, great proportions and narrower lugs again. The quality is significantly better especially in terms of bracelet and clasp feel, and the micro adjustment clasp is really nice.

Good post Dino. Largely concurred!
I never did warm to the super size cases of the semi-recent subs and really prefer the proportions - especially the narrower lugs - of the pre-and post supersize versions.
My sub is from that sweet spot vintage around 2010 with the engraved rehaut but just before they supersized the cases. I wouldn’t mind one of the recent ones but they’re very hard to come by. The fella in my local dealer said he had 500 on the waiting list for a basic SS black face sub. If he got one in each week it would take ten years to clear the list - and he’s not getting one each week!😀

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fella in my local dealer said he had 500 on the waiting list for a basic SS black face sub. If he got one in each week it would take ten years to clear the list - and he’s not getting one each week!😀

Not a good way to look at it because many people would drop off if they couldn't make a profit reselling. If demand cools it wouldn't be linear, it would be exponential.

It's like how AP values keep dropping aggressively.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about when wearing jean shorts?

I'm always intrigued when you post your rotation/use cases. Seems like a good idea in theory. How strictly do you adhere to it?
Sorry for the late response but I’ve been off the forum for a while.
I adhere to it pretty well but not because of dogmatism. Rather it is just an easy plan to effectuate. Now if one of the watches is unavailable for whatever reason, I have no problem substituting another in its place but it doesn’t happen often.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a good way to look at it because many people would drop off if they couldn't make a profit reselling. If demand cools it wouldn't be linear, it would be exponential.

It's like how AP values keep dropping aggressively.
Well this may be true but my anecdote works as a rough gauge of where Rolex supply and demand are right now …

Also I keep hearing that Rolex production is ramping up post-Covid and that demand is sliding due to some people having given up their desire, which may also be true but I’m yet to notice this being reflected in grey market pricing although I admit I’ve only done cursory research into that. The big step-down in grey market pricing and/or the big increase in the ease of buying retail that have been predicted don’t seem to have moved much although I’m happy to be corrected if this is no longer the case!

pmeis

Reaction score
My take on the Sub's current gen vs last gen, is that the current gen is better proportioned and aesthetically more pleasing, but thanks to the slightly wider bracelet wears bigger than the previous gen. This is neither good nor bad, just a thing.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Harder-Tessier