• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
IMG_2701.jpeg

Summer has arrived

pmeis

Reaction score
Already sold the FXD, and plan on selling the Geophysic, one of my Fears (likely the one that is least similar to what I consolidate into), one Nomos (maybe two) and ultimately (and stupidly) the two dive watches I have on preorder will likely have a showdown to determine which one stays.
I guess posting this here finally willed the sale of the Geophysic into existence...ended up with a bite via another forum. Now that the seed money has been attained, I can get to the matter at hand of consolidation into something "interesting".

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pepsi on oyster when wearing shorts or jeans.
What about when wearing jean shorts?

I'm always intrigued when you post your rotation/use cases. Seems like a good idea in theory. How strictly do you adhere to it?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m curious about all your GMT watches. What time zones are they set at?
Depends sometimes Mountain Time sometimes GMT/BST - just to keep track of what time it is where some friends reside.
@Dino944 @Newcomer @JamesInLondon Possibly people who can help.

Have been looking into vintage Vacherons, without the more obvious suspects, would like a dress watch exceeding 33mm and a complication exceeding 35mm.

Very partial to the 4888 but it is just too small; similarly the triple calendars, but my VC library is too small.
Era: 1935-1955

please feel free to PM me.
I have a pretty good hardcover book regarding VC and it's history. There is a section with a very large number of vintage pieces including pix, reference numbers and a bit of other info. I'll have to check and see if it also references dimensions. It's been a while since I looked at this book.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I guess posting this here finally willed the sale of the Geophysic into existence...ended up with a bite via another forum. Now that the seed money has been attained, I can get to the matter at hand of consolidation into something "interesting".
You seemed very excited with the Geophysic a few months ago when you bought it (if I don’t mistake you with someone else). Sounded almost like a grail watch iirc, what made you change your mind so quickly ?

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pricing is insane for something made in China. The biggest cost for a watch is labor, and that money is a ton of buying power there...

Even then, it's very expensive for what it is. A lot of indie watchmakers are pricing their work very high given they are unproven and new but I guess someone is buying.

pmeis

Reaction score
You seemed very excited with the Geophysic a few months ago when you bought it (if I don’t mistake you with someone else). Sounded almost like a grail watch iirc, what made you change your mind so quickly ?

Believe or not, I‘ve had it for over a year. It’s a fine watch and I’m glad to have had the experience of owning it. Sometimes enjoying the experience of ownership is enough though.

But since you asked, here is probably more than you wanted to know about why I think it lost favor with me…
1. The bent in my collection has been moving towards smaller and/or non-conglomerate brands. The JLC really stuck out in my mind as uniquely unlike the others. Whether thats a good reason to sell something or not is debatable (it’s not, lols), but I generally like some sort of theme/coordination with the watches I own, which helps me reign things in a bit and things had gotten a bit to unwieldly.
2. Little things you notice after ownership…I’m not sure if I liked the typeface, I wasn’t happy with my strap options with it, also felt a bit too plain for me, which I think is mostly related to the white dial. It has some nice texture to it when you look close, but you almost never notice it in normal lighting.
3. To a much lesser extent, it photographed poorly in my hands…which is silly, but part of what I enjoy about watches is taking pics of them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Believe or not, I‘ve had it for over a year. It’s a fine watch and I’m glad to have had the experience of owning it. Sometimes enjoying the experience of ownership is enough though.

But since you asked, here is probably more than you wanted to know about why I think it lost favor with me…
1. The bent in my collection has been moving towards smaller and/or non-conglomerate brands. The JLC really stuck out in my mind as uniquely unlike the others. Whether thats a good reason to sell something or not is debatable (it’s not, lols), but I generally like some sort of theme/coordination with the watches I own, which helps me reign things in a bit and things had gotten a bit to unwieldly.
2. Little things you notice after ownership…I’m not sure if I liked the typeface, I wasn’t happy with my strap options with it, also felt a bit too plain for me, which I think is mostly related to the white dial. It has some nice texture to it when you look close, but you almost never notice it in normal lighting.
3. To a much lesser extent, it photographed poorly in my hands…which is silly, but part of what I enjoy about watches is taking pics of them.
Gosh, time flies on TWAT !

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m curious about all your GMT watches. What time zones are they set at?

I do the standard, GMT hand set to home timezone and I adjust the hour hand to the local timezone. I'm in a different timezone 10-12 times a year. Clearly the 1-3 hour time difference is simple enough to manage in one's head or I could use the bezel but I still change the time when I travel. I love the jumping hour of the GMT II. IMO it's the most useful complication.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CANNONTIMBO