• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current plan is to ditch the 5205G
Oh no bby wat is u doing 😞

Seriously, the 5205 is not only my favorite Patek but one of my top favorite watches of all time. I can understand keeping the 5712 instead, though, even if I imagine I'd do the opposite given the good fortune to be in a position to even be making that decision.

Whatever you decide to do, hope it works out. The 3940 is undeniably beautiful, and I can understand moving other nice pieces to free up cash for it.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend's father sadly passed away in 2021, she inherited his watch as it is one of the few things that reminds her of him daily. It's an old (guessing 1980s), gold plated Bulova quartz - nothing remarkable. A while back I tried to give it a good cleaning by lightly rinsing and brushing it with a toothbrush. About a month ago she said the watch stopped working so I offered to take a look at it. Turned out it has no screwdown crown nor o-ring seal on the snap on caseback - it had a bit of brownish rust near the battery. I bought a new Renata 371 battery on Amazon, cleaned up the brown spots with alcohol q-tips and got the watch running. The leather straps were likely original, if not well over 10 years old, were very worn out, almost to the point of disintergrating and they were way too long on her tiny wrist. The spring bars are also not springy anymore. Both went in the garbage and I ordered a set of rubber lined, red alligator straps with cartier style gold plated buckle and new set of spring bars from ABP Paris. They actually had to make them and that took 2 weeks plus a few days to ship. Thankfully the case has drilled lugs so it was very easy to put on. Result is dramatic and I can't wait to give it to her.

20240619_194831.jpg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m curious about all your GMT watches. What time zones are they set at?

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend's father sadly passed away in 2021, she inherited his watch as it is one of the few things that reminds her of him daily. It's an old (guessing 1980s), gold plated Bulova quartz - nothing remarkable. A while back I tried to give it a good cleaning by lightly rinsing and brushing it with a toothbrush. About a month ago she said the watch stopped working so I offered to take a look at it. Turned out it has no screwdown crown nor o-ring seal on the snap on caseback - it had a bit of brownish rust near the battery. I bought a new Renata 371 battery on Amazon, cleaned up the brown spots with alcohol q-tips and got the watch running. The leather straps were likely original, if not well over 10 years old, were very worn out, almost to the point of disintergrating and they were way too long on her tiny wrist. The spring bars are also not springy anymore. Both went in the garbage and I ordered a set of rubber lined, red alligator straps with cartier style gold plated buckle and new set of spring bars from ABP Paris. They actually had to make them and that took 2 weeks plus a few days to ship. Thankfully the case has drilled lugs so it was very easy to put on. Result is dramatic and I can't wait to give it to her.

View attachment 2202797
To clarify, are you bragging about damaging the watch then fixing it? Are you a mechanic by chance? RIP Pops btw

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am nearly 100% certain, at this point, that I am keeping the 5712A. My current plan is to ditch the 5205G and the 5212A, and put the money from the sale into the 3940. We will see whether that is a first series or a really nice second series. I am also considering - but this is less likely - culling the below-referenced redundancies. I have been on a bit of a purging spree across my clothing as well.

In short, this will soon be state of collection:

Keepers:
Berneron Mirage (YG) - modern shaped dress watch.
Patek 3940 (YG) - consummate complicated Patek dress watch.
Patek 5712 (SS) - modern dressy sports watch.
Movado Celestograf (YG) - vintage complicated watch on bracelet.
Rolex Explorer (SS) - son's birth watch.
Tudor Pelagos 39 (TI) - daily beat around watch.

Redundancies:
Bulgari OF Silver (SS) - duplicative of 5712. Still like the watch, but its primary use case (really slim watch that I wear to work) is rendered moot.
JLC MUT Moon (SS) - hard to view the JLC MUT Moon in the same collection as a Patek 3940. My only reservation is that it was my graduation present (albeit, it was from myself to myself).
Omega Speedmaster (SS) - I reach for the Tudor Pelagos 39 way more than I reach for my Omega Speedmaster. But it is objectively a lovely watch.
Seems that you may be drawing closer to my platonic ideal of six watches.

Timex GMT on nylon NATO when traveling through less than secure areas.

Explorer II on cordovan NATO when traveling through secure areas.

Pepsi on oyster when wearing shorts or jeans.

Vintage Tissot World Timer on leather when wearing blazer/odd-jacket or casual suits.

PP 5170g on matte alligator when wearing business suits.

PP 5153G on shiny alligator at evening social functions.

From this point forward it will be one out for every one in. But the only likely upgrade would be the 5153g.

With that written, there is one modern PP and one RM that I would buy if I were offered one (and $$ were available) that would simply be added.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waffle House HQ is in France? This is all starting to make sense. The French are degenerates after all.
Mais ou sont les trous de gloire d'antan?

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 @Newcomer @JamesInLondon Possibly people who can help.

Have been looking into vintage Vacherons, without the more obvious suspects, would like a dress watch exceeding 33mm and a complication exceeding 35mm.

Very partial to the 4888 but it is just too small; similarly the triple calendars, but my VC library is too small.
Era: 1935-1955

please feel free to PM me.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New deployant from Delugs

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics