• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Complicated question and impossible to be precise, but $900 is likely light.

In recent years, Rolex has said that they have a ~30% operating margin. Separately, ADs have been reported to have a ~40% margin on Rolexes. That leaves ~30% of retail price for Rolex’s expenses. They have said they spend ~$50-60M on sale’s & marketing—or ~5% of revenue.

In all, that implies that the non-marketing cost to make a Rolex is ~25 of retail price. Even if we haircut to ~15-20% to be conservative, that would suggest a Submariner costs Rolex about $1,500-2,000, excluding marketing. Sounds about right to me, considering the combined material and labor needed. As tours of the Rolex factory have revealed, there is still a lot of skilled manpower and manual work needed to make their watches.
Rolex revenues fall in around 10-11B USD. I thought you were a banker, how is 50-60M 5% of revenue?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rolex revenues fall in around 10-11B USD. I thought you were a banker, how is 50-60M 5% of revenue?

Lol you’re right. Should have put an analyst on this!

I guess under 1% on marketing also felt unrealistically low.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me reading this thread.
clockwork-orange-behind-the-scenes

In possibly related news, I no longer have any interest in wearing mechanical watches.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol you’re right. Should have put an analyst on this!

I guess under 1% on marketing also felt unrealistically low.
50-60m on advertising seems low. They advertise within every publication i read, just seem to be everywhere!

Can’t imagine what their sponsorship deals are worth, collectively!

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently the Gauthier Logical2 and the new version of the C with some open working should be out soon.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A jury can see your watch? Are you all unbuttoning the cuff buttons of your bespoke suit and dress shirt? :lol:

:crackup:Cute, but on a multiday trial you are on display for the jury to watch for hours on end. Unless you sit at the table, never moving, never reaching for different documents, never handing the court clerk documents, never approaching witnesses with documents, and you never approach the jury to try to engage them, no matter what, at different points your watch will go beyond your shirt cuffs. I don't want a jury to be thinking, if the defendant can afford this guy, he must have a lot of money so it doesn't matter if I really whack him by awarding a big verdict. (For the car guys here, on my last case there was a count for negligent entrustment of an automobile. Although it was ultimately proven that it was stolen by a family member, one of the cars in the garage was a Porsche 911. It wasn't the car that was stolen, but it was mentioned in a deposition transcript several times and therefore an oral motion was presented on the first day of trial, outside of the jury's presence, that plaintiffs' counsel not make any references to the Porsche as it might signify wealth and have a negative effect on the jury). It was allowed.

No, I don't wear my nicest suits/shoes to jury trials. However, I know lawyers with net worths of $20-40 Million who go as far as to wear tired 30 year old suits to court and put tape on the corner of their glasses (which aren't broken), because they want to look like an ordinary nerdy suburban lawyer who is just an everyday guy like the jurors.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My approach in my moderately short career: when you have a jury trial, there is only so much you can control and a whole lot that you cannot control. Wearing a flashy watch is something that you certainly can control and that should be considered in light of the case and the client and your tact as an attorney. Jurors are bored silly and while they may not *get* everything they are observant. A jury is going to notice if you are wearing a day date. The question remains then - do you want the jury to know that you wear a day date?

Personally, I wear soporific conservative business dress that is well fitting with my JLC on a black strap. I look young, so I think the whole shabby shoes look is unconvincing. Also, try as I might, I am not country and I can’t play the good ole boy card. My target demographic is middle aged women.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CA96