• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The latest retro integrated bracelet luxury sports watch to be revived the Polo 79. Bumped up from it's original 34mm case to 38mm and now with an micro rotor automatic movement. Price is an robust $73,000.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
POV: you practice law in Boston, you like Chopin, Chablis and cable flyes, and you don't want your colleagues at the bar (and in the bar) to get the wrong idea:

Thought this was a new MB&F model.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what's the consensus around here on the Rolex Milgauss? I'm guessing it's strictly missionary, but is it lights on or off?
Milgausses are for Milhouses

1707238343911.jpeg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The latest retro integrated bracelet luxury sports watch to be revived the Polo 79. Bumped up from it's original 34mm case to 38mm and now with an micro rotor automatic movement. Price is an robust $73,000.

In a vacuum, I think it looks great. Updated size is still reasonable and thin, albeit not as thin as the original.

But… pricing is tough. $73,000 is a lot of money. That is $9,000 off of a 5712R. The micro rotor movement looks nice enough, but it is simple (etachron) and is not finely finished. The LV Tambour has a similar movement and is slotted at $50,000 in gold. I know that the price of watches is not grounded in reality, but there are a lot of options out there for $73,000. Hell, spend $10,000 on a used polo then buy something else.

I think that is the other problem. This is a design-oriented watch. And… you can pick up the original polo on the cheap. If the original polo held its value like, say, a Nautilus 3700, perhaps it would be an easier pill to swallow. That may just be me though.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
In a vacuum, I think it looks great. Updated size is still reasonable and thin, albeit not as thin as the original.

But… pricing is tough. $73,000 is a lot of money. That is $9,000 off of a 5712R. The micro rotor movement looks nice enough, but it is simple (etachron) and is not finely finished. The LV Tambour has a similar movement and is slotted at $50,000 in gold. I know that the price of watches is not grounded in reality, but there are a lot of options out there for $73,000. Hell, spend $10,000 on a used polo then buy something else.

I think that is the other problem. This is a design-oriented watch. And… you can pick up the original polo on the cheap. If the original polo held its value like, say, a Nautilus 3700, perhaps it would be an easier pill to swallow. That may just be me though.
I confirm Piaget are not very expensive in the second hand market, except if they are a very rare model.
BTW, out of curiosity I measured mine (watch, I prefer to precise 😅) it’s 33 X 22 X 2,5mm.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pricing is tough, but realistically a gold Nautilus, RO 16202, VC 222 are all close in price but only available new at MSRP if you have a significant spending history. Otherwise, you are relegated to what a gray is selling them for (although it looks like asking for a 222 isn't isn't as high as PP or AP).

LV, yes, the have made watches for many years, but I just don't see them as a brand I'd ever spend steel money on much less gold. To me, they are a handbag/luggage & clothing company. Not to mention if one tires of an LV I imagine one will take a bath on it.

I agree, it is definitely a very design oriented watch...and bold gold watches aren't for everyone. The originals are cheap, but that can't really be surprising based on today's preference for automatic and manual wind luxury watches. Not to mention, Piaget doesn't live in the social media limelight like PP, AP, and to a lesser degree VC.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babis koump