• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is an interesting observation and pretty apt. Patek and Omega have both been incredibly diverse makers—perhaps far more so than any other of the major brands I can think of. And they have both been doing it for a long time.

The difference is that, in my opinion, Patek has established a certain ideal and aura of Patekness that unifies across everything they make, whereas I don’t really have a grasp on what look or feel identities an Omega as an Omega.

The Speedmaster might as well be its own brand. The Seamaster is eternally relegated to being what you buy when you can’t get a Submariner. And, let’s be honest, the De Ville and Constellation models are 100% mall watches. Their best non-Speedy watches tend to be limited edition historical reissues like the CK 859, but they have no resonance with the rest of the collection.
I generally agree. I hope Omega can hew more in the direction of Patek in the future. Like with the white dial Speedy everyone was hoping for.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, this absolutely blew my mind. Did anyone know that the retail price of a Roger Smith was now 380,000 - 411,000 pounds! In 2022, I was quoted something in the realm of 125,000 pounds, give or take. That is absolutely bonkers. Lest we forget:

That's about my understanding of the evolution of the value of the GBP, yes.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vintage Zenith A385 is finally back from a long and expensive trip to the EWC spa.
IMG_0351.jpeg
IMG_0356.jpeg

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is an interesting observation and pretty apt. Patek and Omega have both been incredibly diverse makers—perhaps far more so than any other of the major brands I can think of. And they have both been doing it for a long time.

The difference is that, in my opinion, Patek has established a certain ideal and aura of Patekness that unifies across everything they make, whereas I don’t really have a grasp on what look or feel identities an Omega as an Omega.

The Speedmaster might as well be its own brand. The Seamaster is eternally relegated to being what you buy when you can’t get a Submariner. And, let’s be honest, the De Ville and Constellation models are 100% mall watches. Their best non-Speedy watches tend to be limited edition historical reissues like the CK 859, but they have no resonance with the rest of the collection.
I'm the first to criticize Omega for lacking coherence and for leaving a lot of low hanging fruit to improve their collection. But the Seamaster comment is absurdly reductive.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will never own it, but this does not prevent me to admire it, quintessentially Patek, as I see.

View attachment 2122911
It's an interesting design and I like the two tone dial, the placement of the name on the dial, the use of blued hands, although I find them too narrow and sterile. There are certainly elements of the watch that are very Patek, yet I don't think I'd call this model "Quintessentially Patek."

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's an interesting design and I like the two tone dial, the placement of the name on the dial, the use of blued hands, although I find them too narrow and sterile. There are certainly elements of the watch that are very Patek, yet I don't think I'd call this model "Quintessentially Patek."
Anything Patek does is "Quintessentially Patek." They can do no wrong no matter what and lay claim to every watch design element possible.

Breguet is copying Patek when they do Breguet numerals.

If Patek does lyre style lugs like Omega then it's "quintessentially Patek." If they do a Rolex Pepsi GMT then that watch is also "Quintessentially Patek." If they do JLC Reverso type watch, you guessed it "Quintessentially Patek."

That's because Patek Good All Other Watch Brands BAD or as @Neville Southall would say PGAOWBB.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, this absolutely blew my mind. Did anyone know that the retail price of a Roger Smith was now 380,000 - 411,000 pounds! In 2022, I was quoted something in the realm of 125,000 pounds, give or take. That is absolutely bonkers. Lest we forget:

On the 28/12 I sent an e-mail to Smith, as of now have only received the automated reply despite the workshop supposedly open as of the 8/1. If indeed they are the prices, now, bollocks off to that.
As have written before, don’t hold him in particularly high esteem.

That is tinpot little African country inflation…

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1