• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a watch that was influential for you in your youth ? An image that could be the origin of your interest towards timepiece?
In my case the watch my older (and late) brother wore when I was a kid.
It was exactly the same as this one, I found the picture in the first pages of this thread. A Breitling Navitimer from mid 1960s.
For me it was dear ole dad's watch. He had a manual wind Omega Chronostop ca. 1969 that he wore under the wrist, as it was designed as a driver's watch. I'm sure I wore out that chronograph pusher as a wee lad. He died in 2006 and my mom even found the original papers some years later. I still wear it a couple of times a year.

DSC04059.jpg

DSC04054.jpg

DSC02336b.jpg

01_bc-fc_1240w.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen Tom Selleck and “Dino” in the same place at the same time? Just sayin…
:crackup: You might be on to something...similar watches, cars, facial hair, we have both been known to wear baseball caps, and I grew up with a doberman!
For as long as i remembered i have always loved watches. Found a photo of myself when i was maybe 5-6yrs old and already had a watch on my wrist.

During high school my most fond memory was a watch called the Alba Spoon that i had, man was i the coolest dude in my grade LOL.
spoon_11_pc.jpg

And the watch that seriously got me into this hobby was the Tag Heuer F1.
Wish i still had this watch.

AS07439_40991098_TAGHEUER_FORMULAONE_WA1211-6.jpg
I remember those TAGs. A wealthy friend had one in law school along with a Piaget, a Chopard St. Moritz, a Cartier, and a Rolex.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s easy, a Patek 3919J.

IMG_1603.jpeg

My mom worked at a jeweler that sold Patek and Cartier and others. I know it sold Cartier, because she and her friend sold Cartier. I know it sold Patek, because she always said Patek was the best. I remember leafing through the magazines as a kid, and the 3919J is burned into my brain.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a watch that was influential for you in your youth ? An image that could be the origin of your interest towards timepiece?
It was exactly the same as this one, I found the picture in the first pages of this thread. A Breitling Navitimer from mid 1960s.

View attachment 2112361

My father, an exceedingly practical engineer, always wore a Timex Expedition on a strap like the one below. And he still does (or at least a very similar looking watch).

At some point as a kid I got a similar quartz watch and wore it pretty regularly. I didn't become interested in mechanical watches until college or law school.

1705491569335.png

We were poor so I lusted after Tag Heuers (OT: and Porsches) but I never really thought I’d ever own one.

When I moved away from home my mom called me to plan a visit and she told me “hey your dad is making a bit more money these days and he’s asking if we can bring you something extravagant”.

Without any thought I blurted “I’d love a Tag Heuer,” and a few weeks later my mom showed up with this. Wore the fukk out of it until I started making a bit of money myself and acquired a few pieces of my own.

Here it is without the time or date adjusted:

View attachment 2112601
Should have asked for the Porsche!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He's a Panerai guy.

He and I are exactly the same. We both wear Panerai daily. I don’t do some of these other things, like the operator stuff, nor do I have the good looks or am I in shape. Other than that it’s like we’re brothers from another mother.

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s easy, a Patek 3919J.

View attachment 2112663

My mom worked at a jeweler that sold Patek and Cartier and others. I know it sold Cartier, because she and her friend sold Cartier. I know it sold Patek, because she always said Patek was the best. I remember leafing through the magazines as a kid, and the 3919J is burned into my brain.
This was the first Patek I wanted. Then I heard they weren't reliable and required a lot of repairs compared to other Calatrava models. Now I've shifted toward the 96, but I still have a love for it.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a knockoff of the real thing, but the Transformers watch. I loved that thing. Durable, easy to read, and functional. The real one was navy blue.

Also attached is the current watch I'm strongly thinking of picking up this year. Also easy to read and functional, not as durable though.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 105

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I have this vintage/heirloom piece that belonged to my mom. She wants my wife to wear it until my daughter eventually gets it. The issue - question - is: can this style of integrated, no-links bracelet be slightly lengthened by a custom jeweler (I get my tiny wrists from my mom’s side of the family, I reckon…)? Like, can an extra gold rectangular clasp perhaps be added? Anyone have any experience with a similar dilemma?
View attachment 2111129 View attachment 2111131 View attachment 2111133
Would make for a nice, expensive looking c*ck ring. Otherwise, trash? Trash.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of into the Santos?
I know nothing about the Santos and its various sub-lines and what makes Santoses cool or not cool. But I did try on a two-tone medium sized one at the boutique in Milan.
Somebody educate me on what is the best/coolest Santos, contemporary or vintage.

IMG_4732.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mimora831