• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember that you commisioned that strap, correct? Who is the maker? Perfect combo!

Thanks! Just ordered actually - it is a PP strap. And I stole the idea from some dude on the gram.

45bur

Reaction score
Philosophical question: How does everyone justify large purchases? I'm talking beyond the $5-15k most people are ultimately comfortable spending on a luxury watch. I think that regardless of income, anything above this threshold is a mental barrier. Obviously loving the piece is a prerequisite. I guess i'm wondering how many of us are buying with investment/value retention in mind, vs. burning money on an item we are in love with.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philosophical question: How does everyone justify large purchases? I'm talking beyond the $5-15k most people are ultimately comfortable spending on a luxury watch. I think that regardless of income, anything above this threshold is a mental barrier. Obviously loving the piece is a prerequisite. I guess i'm wondering how many of us are buying with investment/value retention in mind, vs. burning money on an item we are in love with.
I bought my Submariner at age 30 as I was making Major in the Army and had met many career challenges. Got a JLC dress watch just this year as I wanted a serious dress watch as my second career progresses.

There is no right answer but if it feels right... Also, I'd never buy a watch for investment. Just love.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find 100K is the stop and think threshold. Watches are an unjustifiable purchase, much as jewellery is or a Bentley (or GT3 in candy Blue). And never an investment.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never did/could. There are a lot of watches that I really like and think are incredibly beautiful, but I could never make it over that hurdle. It just never seemed worth it for me.

along the same lines, I can’t/won’t spend $50k on a vehicle. Just not worth it to me.

The only thing I would ever buy as an investment is index funds.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of us are poor and enjoy Richemont Trash, so we don’t have this justification problem. You should join our club.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As long as I am paying my bills, saving for retirement, ensuring my kids are taken care of, wife is happy, have a nest egg, etc., I have no mental barrier. I see no difference between 3 Rolex watches and 1 Patek. I buy used cars and drive them for 10 years, I do a lot of cooking, etc. - we all have our vices, and I just don’t think about it. I don’t feel the need to diversify my luxury purchases.

Very nice. Is the strap a grayish blue?

Yes! I think it is called something like that (missed an opportunity for “blue steel”).

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads