• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TheFoo - Goldberger has beautiful watches, no doubt, but I was pretty underwhelmed when I listened to a recent podcast with him on Viva Bastardo. He is a collector of the highest order... but by his own admission, he keeps all of his watches in a safe and has little interest in wearing them or even having them. I was kind of surprised, to be completely honest. Maybe that is what happens when you are in the game for 44 years. Or maybe he is just exceedingly humble, and it did not come through in a podcast?

He was much more charming on this episode of Talking Watches, though.

Yeah, the pocket watches were a highlight. Also, that insane cloisonne Omega - yozwa.

OMEGA.JPG

Not-so-hot take: vintage cloisonne enamel watches, particularly worldtimers, are the most gorgeous watches in existence.

patek-philippe-2523-world-time-cloisonne-eurasia-3.jpg

patek-philippe-2523-world-time-cloisonne-eurasia-13.jpg

The Cartiers were very cool, but I don't know, I am suffering from Cartier fatigue.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage platinum Cintree with original platinum bracelet was pretty ******* interesting.

White gold Pebble with grey dial was pretty ******* interesting.

Triple calendar and moon phase Rolex in an Oyster case was pretty ******* interesting.

Vintage military-issue Panerai with tropical dial was pretty ******* interesting.

Trio of grand complication pocket watches from AP, Cartier, and Patek were pretty ******* interesting, particularly the Cartier which was made in the 30’s but had a crystal display back and skeletonized dial / movement.

I mean, I dunno, seemed pretty ******* interesting to me.
The watches were beautiful, of course, but interesting? Yawn. Dude oozed boredom about his own ****, like “yeah, this was fun once…” haha. Anyway, he’s a stylish guy bopping around in g-shock and modern Tudor…good for him….Ben trotting this guy out to get foo-types excited every 10 years is fine…

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, vintage Panerai (6154) is sick:

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Deal for the Explorer fell through, making my scorecard 0/2 this week. Pretty bummed, but what can you do.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@TheFoo - Goldberger has beautiful watches, no doubt, but I was pretty underwhelmed when I listened to a recent podcast with him on Viva Bastardo. He is a collector of the highest order... but by his own admission, he keeps all of his watches in a safe and has little interest in wearing them or even having them. I was kind of surprised, to be completely honest. Maybe that is what happens when you are in the game for 44 years. Or maybe he is just exceedingly humble, and it did not come through in a podcast?

He was much more charming on this episode of Talking Watches, though.

Yeah, the pocket watches were a highlight. Also, that insane cloisonne Omega - yozwa.

View attachment 1865347

Not-so-hot take: vintage cloisonne enamel watches, particularly worldtimers, are the most gorgeous watches in existence.

View attachment 1865345
View attachment 1865346

The Cartiers were very cool, but I don't know, I am suffering from Cartier fatigue.

He has an underspoken, matter-of-fact air—but I take that to be quite charming and humble. His passion for (or obsession with) watches is obvious from the depth / direction of his collection and the wealth of his knowledge.

Like other major collectors, he must have hundreds and hundreds of watches. There is obviously no way to wear them all regularly. However, it is clear from his IG that he does wear each of his watches, irrespective of how rare or expensive.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has an underspoken, matter-of-fact air—but I take that to be quite charming and humble. His passion for (or obsession with) watches is obvious from the depth / direction of his collection and the wealth of his knowledge.

Like other major collectors, he must have hundreds and hundreds of watches. There is obviously no way to wear them all regularly.

Listen to his interview on Viva Bastardo, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Personally, his philosophy on collecting does not resonate much with me. But that is me.

He is without question one of the most knowledgeable and impressive watch collectors in the world.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Listen to his interview on Viva Bastardo, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Personally, his philosophy on collecting does not resonate much with me. But that is me.

He is without question one of the most knowledgeable and impressive watch collectors in the world.

Okay, will do.

I have to say, though, that I am very much not a “collector” myself. I have an obsessive fixation on watches, but I don’t particularly care to amass them.

The most egregious “collector” I can recall is the French guy behind the OAK collection. The fact that he has a consultant that studies and picks his watches for him and he seems to have zero personal attachment or direct involvement with his watches is extremely off-putting.

In contrast, Goldberger is all Goldberger.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most egregious “collector” I can recall is the French guy behind the OAK collection. The fact that he has a consultant that studies and picks his watches for him and he seems to have zero personal attachment or direct involvement with his watches is extremely off-putting.
Kevin O'Leary kinda sucks for me. His whole schtick of "have to own 3 watches from a brand to be a collector" and then afterwards everything he talks about is investment is ******* gag inducing. The worst was when he was talking to FP Journe's brother and something to the effect of "when FP dies, the value will skyrocket".

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kevin O'Leary kinda sucks for me. His whole schtick of "have to own 3 watches from a brand to be a collector" and then afterwards everything he talks about is investment is ******* gag inducing. The worst was when he was talking to FP Journe's brother and something to the effect of "when FP dies, the value will skyrocket".

Oh yeah, he may be the worst.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, will do.

I have to say, though, that I am very much not a “collector” myself. I have an obsessive fixation on watches, but I don’t particularly care to amass them.

In contrast, Goldberger is all Goldberger.
That type of collecting seems strange to me as well, but it has given us things like the Simon Norton Museum, so I guess that some good can come of it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads