• Our featured affiliate vendor of the week is Larimars Luxury Menswear Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, specializes in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check them out and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by a series of Fratello articles, I figured this may be a good discussion - what are your Top 5 watches of the year? Also, thinking less "pie in the sky" and more "I might very well buy this if I had the option to do so."

First, the Patek 5226. This will be the next watch to join the stable, at some point in 2023. I make fun of it, but it is incredibly special in the metal.

View attachment 1862237

Second and Third, in no particular order, the BB Pro and the Pelagos 39. I anticipate that I will add one of these at some point, and am leaning towards the BB Pro. Still not 100% decided, but it is a charming, quirky watch. The Pelagos 39 is an amazing, versatile watch - but I am not sure if it makes sense in my collection.

View attachment 1862240
View attachment 1862262

Fourth, the Parmigiani GMT Rattrapante is just such a novel approach to a great complication. I doubt I will get it, don't really see the need to fill this slot in my collection, but I love the execution.

View attachment 1862251

Fifth, the one that appeals to my lizard brain - the 5712R. If I had a chance to buy it - and that is highly unlikely - I would do so in an instant and sell my Bulgari OF to make room. I tried it on a little while ago, and wow - it is special.

View attachment 1862239

And one more for good measure - although it did not make the Top 5 cut. I love that green dial, and think it is a really convincing iteration of the 5270. However, the 5270 is still the 5270, and I am holding out for another PCC that is slightly smaller.

View attachment 1862263

100% agree on the Tudor Pelagos 39, but such a disappointment that they have so few for the AD's for 2022.

4 out of the 6 watches you listed are "pie in the sky" for me.

I can't think of 5 watches released this year for me. I'm thinking maybe
1. Omega Seamaster 300 Diver Pro James Bond 60th

2. Omega Aqua Terra 38mm (the new colors released)

3. Cartier Santos Dumont YG. The LE released this year.

I can't think of anything else for me and even then the 2 Omega's I listed aren't available until 2023.

Are the new AT 38mm colors actually released yet? Maybe one of the best new watches for 2023 at this rate?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NY Boutique said delayed to 2023 due to problem(s) with bracelet/clasp...
Houston boutique said 2023 but said it was a dial issue.
Nashville boutique said the bracelet/clasp is the official line, but the manager said he personally believes it's a dial issue.

****-who-cares.gif

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 out of the 6 watches you listed are "pie in the sky" for me.

I can't think of 5 watches released this year for me. I'm thinking maybe
1. Omega Seamaster 300 Diver Pro James Bond 60th

2. Omega Aqua Terra 38mm (the new colors released)

3. Cartier Santos Dumont YG. The LE released this year.

I can't think of anything else for me and even then the 2 Omega's I listed aren't available until 2023.

By pie in the sky I mean more like the RRCCII or MB&F Evo Chrono. I would have to sell to get some of these things, but they aren’t COMPLETELY out of reach.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The AT issue is embarrassing. The way Tudor releases watches is the way that it should be done. I don’t know why you would not make things IMMEDIATELY available.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The AT issue is embarrassing. The way Tudor releases watches is the way that it should be done. I don’t know why you would not make things IMMEDIATELY available.
Omega has a history of ******* up watch releases. This isn't the first time they've been way off on their release dates.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tudor is only slightly better with regard to the Pelagos 39. I've been following the threads on WUS about the Pelagos 39 and the story from AD's has pretty consistently been they will get one or two allocations for 2022 and more in Spring/Summer 2023. I don't care about waiting (since I'm still undecided), but it's not exactly a model on how to release a new watch.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By pie in the sky I mean more like the RRCCII or MB&F Evo Chrono. I would have to sell to get some of these things, but they aren’t COMPLETELY out of reach.
What do you like about RR?

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Portnoy's watch costs $42 to make, sold for 2,400
Rolexes, per various estimates, cost hundred$ to make, sold for 10$ of thousands
the margin is about the same or is it markup, so what's the fuss all about

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Houston boutique said 2023 but said it was a dial issue.
Missouri boutique said 2023 but said it was a crown issue. But I personally believe that the watch does not exist and is a SF delusion.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Portnoy's watch costs $42 to make, sold for 2,400
Rolexes, per various estimates, cost hundred$ to make, sold for 10$ of thousands
the margin is about the same or is it markup, so what's the fuss all about

Not sure what Rolex’s mark up is, but a comparison between the two isn’t appropriate for a couple of reasons:

A) Rolex has over a century of reputation as a top tier watch maker, and it’s one of the top globally recognized luxury brands.
B) Rolex engineers and manufactures their own watches for scratch, it’s not simply outsourcing to a 3rd party manufacturer.
C) Rolex watch designs are iconic and essentially the archetype for a sports watch

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering when we would get around to this. Portnoy is a ******* tool and I wouldn't piss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire. Oh and the watches suck too.
That's a charitable treatment of him. Unfortunate, as there were a couple of pieces of golf apparel that caught my eye recently, and then I realized they were Barstool branded. Ugh.

Featured Sponsor

Corduroy…who wore it best?

• @khughes44

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • @duke santos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • @DavidLane

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • @Old Red

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • @Chadclass

Votes: 15 21.1%