• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys really think this will come to fruition?
There will likely be a point in time where everyone's ICE vehicle will plummet in value as no one will want them. I imagine a Porsche 911 will always have a buyer but mainstream ICE cars might only be worth scrap. A ways away, though, I'm sure.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There will likely be a point in time where everyone's ICE vehicle will plummet in value as no one will want them. I imagine a Porsche 911 will always have a buyer but mainstream ICE cars might only be worth scrap. A ways away, though, I'm sure.

I’ve experienced both and still far prefer driving ICE vehicles.

Probably the infrastructure for charging needs to improve massively before e-cars are predominant. I don’t think it will happen as fast as 5 years.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve experienced both and still far prefer driving ICE vehicles.

Probably the infrastructure for charging needs to improve massively before e-cars are predominant. I don’t think it will happen as fast as 5 years.
Yeah, a good friend has a Tesla and trips up and down the East Coast are fairly easy but driving West is problematic and requires planning. I think the latest bill the Dems got through will break the logjam.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys really think this will come to fruition?
Yes. Electric cars are the future. They may not be dominant for another 20 years, but it's going to happen.

(Oh, and there are no rational arguments for manual transmissions, only emotional ones. That essay in The Atlantic was a whole lot of old man yelling at clouds)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Electric cars are the future. They may not be dominant for another 20 years, but it's going to happen.

(Oh, and there are no rational arguments for manual transmissions, only emotional ones. That essay in The Atlantic was a whole lot of old man yelling at clouds)
Of course it was emotional and not practical. Like wearing a mechanical watch.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can't remember his username but there was a poster here who used to always say manual transmissions got better gas mileage than autos so therefore manuals were more fuel efficient when he drove. Dude didn't quite understand that he was an outlier.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well mechanical watches can last practically forever with regular maintenance. Same with quartz once you change the battery. Smart watches on the other hand...
You can absolutely build electronics to last generations. Voyager I is almost 45 years old and still transmitting. There's just no point for the retail customer given the speed of improvement in tech and rapidly dropping prices.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gear is gear. Easy overlap between cars, planes, boats, and watches. All take money as well of course.

Lets not forget those crazy cyclists and all their carbon fiber, electronic shifting nonsense :-D.

I love a manual in a sports car and I daily drove one for over a decade when I was younger. However, towards the end of my daily driving that car there was so much traffic in my daily commute, that the last 10 miles of my commute could take an hour and it was all stop and go. So any automatic became more practical for daily driving, and a manual just for weekends. Still there is nothing like rowing your own gears on nice winding back roads!

I'm certain every city is the same but there's something so disheartening about driving into Boston on the Tobin bridge for me when I see that the last 3 miles to my destination is going to take me 45+ minutes. Thankfully I try to schedule meetings off peak hours but it's just as bad coming home. There's no avoiding the Rte 1 stop and go. Must be just as bad heading south. I'd hate to do it in a manual.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lets not forget those crazy cyclists and all their carbon fiber, electronic shifting nonsense :-D.

I'm certain every city is the same but there's something so disheartening about driving into Boston on the Tobin bridge for me when I see that the last 3 miles to my destination is going to take me 45+ minutes. Thankfully I try to schedule meetings off peak hours but it's just as bad coming home. There's no avoiding the Rte 1 stop and go. Must be just as bad heading south. I'd hate to do it in a manual.

Back in the pre-"Big Dig" days I used to drive north to Boston. The first 40 miles of my drive would take about 30 minutes. Then it would take me an hour to go the last 10 miles from Quincy into Boston. It was all 1st gear, stop go, stop go, if lucky you might get it into 2nd gear here and there. It has been more than a decade since I drove a car with a manual transmission into Boston. I definitely do not miss driving into Boston with a manual transmission. However, on a nice weekend, going driving with some car buddies and rowing my own gears is a lot of fun. It's definitely not for everyone. For some people a car is just to get from point A to point B, the same as some people saying why buy a nice watch when your cell phone or lap top can tell time, or why buy a bespoke suit, when the world is so casual and a basic off the rack model which has been glued/fused will cover the bases for the few times a year a guy might need a suit.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the pre-"Big Dig" days I used to drive north to Boston. The first 40 miles of my drive would take about 30 minutes. Then it would take me an hour to go the last 10 miles from Quincy into Boston. It was all 1st gear, stop go, stop go, if lucky you might get it into 2nd gear here and there. It has been more than a decade since I drove a car with a manual transmission into Boston. I definitely do not miss driving into Boston with a manual transmission. However, on a nice weekend, going driving with some car buddies and rowing my own gears is a lot of fun. It's definitely not for everyone. For some people a car is just to get from point A to point B, the same as some people saying why buy a nice watch when your cell phone or lap top can tell time, or why buy a bespoke suit, when the world is so casual and a basic off the rack model which has been glued/fused will cover the bases for the few times a year a guy might need a suit.
You're triggering me. Used to take the Mass Pike from Southborough to Back Bay most days. 15 years ago it was a slog, now I can't even imagine.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't remember his username but there was a poster here who used to always say manual transmissions got better gas mileage than autos so therefore manuals were more fuel efficient when he drove. Dude didn't quite understand that he was an outlier.

Old autos were less fuel efficient and slower - it’s logical that a 3 speed auto with a ton of transmission loss will be less efficient than a 5 speed manual. Modern autos are a different matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads