1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

You could just change your SF bookmark to link to the 'Watched Threads' page. That's what I did, at least.

But yeah... while I can kind of see the logic of making the site more consistent between mobile and desktop platforms, the way it has been approached is definitely a little clunky - especially since the old site worked really well. Hopefully these are just teething problems.

2. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I've been AWOL from this thread for a while, for which I apologize. But I know this is one of the few places I can share a new pickup without explanation. You all know what I mean...

Visited Fourtané in Carmel-by-the-Sea today. If you haven't heard of it or haven't been, it's a veritable candy store for those who like vintage Rolexes. Among the treasures I got to take a look at were a 1953 big crown Sub, a tri-color Paul Newman Daytona, a gorgeous gilt-dial four-line 5512, and much more.

I mentioned that I had musings about a nice 1601 now and then. And then this appeared, seen here in my wife's wrist beneath my Pepsi 16750. FullSizeRender.jpg

I really liked the dial color and the patina that developed from the Radium dust (I'm assuming). It's in pretty nice condition for a 57-year-old watch. Unfortunately it looks as good or better on my wife's wrist as it does on mine! That is a development I had not considered when I asked her to model it afterwards, at dinner.

usctrojans31, clee1982 and mimo like this.
  3. mimo

mimo Senior member

That's what I did on the old site too; just a different URL now. I don't like the new look much - feels "loud", but I suppose I'll get used to it. I also used to like the snippet of latest post that appeared in every item on the thread list before.

The worst thing for me, and this thread, is the absence of the multi-quote. I use it a lot to reply to several different things and summarise/spoiler-tag them. I pride myself on my neat multi-replies! Not being able to do that is going to mean a lot more clutter in the thread, I think.

Maybe I would feel better if I bought a new watch. Basic Speedy Pro or Black Bay? Maybe neither, currently unemployed waiting for a new contract, but it's good to have direction in life.

roomiller and TheWraith like this.
  4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I prefer the old look myself come to that.

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

If there were ever a thread where one could safely predict that the participants would be reluctant to see change...

Actually that probably applies a lot on the CM side. On the "street"/children's section, I bet it's all "yay, colours!" and "woohoo...iPhone optimised and fits neatly in my Japanese denim manbag" and stuff. Probably. I will never know.

6. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Sure, the actual functionality is now rather crippled, but who cares when you get the opportunity to see so many nice, big announcements for new and exciting products and/or services? :D

Journeyman likes this.
  7. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Stopped by an AD in NoVA this weekend. Put to rest that watch #3 will be a Rolex... I love the BLNR but can't justify that and the Sub, and the Sub's not going anywhere. The Daytona might be #4 years from now.

Looked at the IWC 7 day Portuguese again... I really do love that piece. I think having worn the Sub most days for the last year has increased my tolerance for larger watches a bit. It did not look too big on the wrist lug to lug to me, somewhat surprisingly, but is quite thick and that hurts it for how I would wear it.

Some pieces I liked in pics- JLC Geophysic, random Omega Planet Oceans/Seamasters- were duds in person. I do still like the Dark Side of the Moon piece quite a bit, probably the only Omega I've seen in person that I will consider.

The ones that just flat out shocked me were from Panerai. Now I have always liked some of Panerai's models but a) detest the big watch trend, and b) have always thought they wore like dinner plates on my wrist. Not so this time. The 47mm Luminors were big, no question. Too big? Probably, but certainly not comically big. The 45mm Radiomirs I tried (wire lug case and 1940 hybrid case) wore very well, and I would guess the 44mm Luminors would be possible. I cannot tell you how surprised I was by this. I actually loved the look. In that 10 minute span I went from thinking I'd never own a Panerai to thinking wow, the secondhand market is depressed for them right now, it's a great time to give a solid look.

I am a newbie to the brand and will now so I have a ton of research ahead.

So disappointed there are no AP dealers within 300 miles of me now :(

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

I have an ad-blocker in my browser...just seeing big holes!

Buffy, I sympathise with the Panerai thing. The Radiomir 1940 case is the one that talks to me.

9. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

*sheepishly shuffles raw denim and white Vans adorned legs to hide Filson bag*

I also miss the thumb's up button. There was something much more gratifying about giving, and receiving, the thumbs up compared to a "like".

Sent from my iphone

TheWraith and mimo like this.
  10. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

It's been a week for acquiring new vintage Rolexes.

I've been looking for a nice cream-dial Explorer I LOVE YOU!!, which is reference 16550. Finally, I was offered this one, which also has an interesting (for some value of interesting, I guess) provenance. The original owner was Olivier Porsche, which I suppose is fairly interesting. Anyway, it has a nice cream dial, an unpolished case and covers all the bases I was looking for in a 16550. So here it is on my wrist for the first time...

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

roomiller, h3ro, Dino944 and 3 others like this.
  11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Gorgeous. I am very attracted to the 16550. I don't mind the larger size of the later models, but for some reason I find the red 24hr hand much more attractive than the orange. Really lovely watch; well kopped!

DLJr likes this.
  12. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Are we back?!?

Here's a little topic for discussion... got to manhandle this beauty recently

[​IMG]

culverwood likes this.
  13. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Thank you. I fell for the cream dials of the 16550 some time ago and I had been looking for just the right one. I quite like the current model, but I'm a vintage guy at heart. Then there's that dial...

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on your 16550! I like the font on the bezel, which is a tad different than on its replacement, the 16570 (its a bit bolder on the 16550 and the 1s and 2 are different). Funny, thing is I saw that same watch for sale about 7 years ago in Carmel, California and at shop that tends to get in a lot of vintage Roelx watches, like manual wind Daytonas, Double Red Sea-Dwellers, and Orange hand 1655 Explorer IIs. I've never really been into the cream dial 16550 (I tend to favor black dials), but I looked at that watch because I'm a car guy, a big fan of Porsches, and I thought it was interesting that it was owned by a member of the Porsche family. Looks great! Hope you get many years of enjoyment from it! Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017 at 9:14 AM
  15. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

That's exactly where I bought it. I had asked them to look out for one for me and I know they were working on acquiring this watch for several months before they offered it to me. Very interesting backstory.

You're right about the different font on the 16550 versus 16570. The 550's font is fatter, compared side by side.

16. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

Not sure if I'm alone here or if this is a little platform-switch hiccup, but the image of the beauty shows up blank!

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Its blank for me also.

18. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Not sure why give us a way to link to a picture if it only works half the time... anyway....

IMG_20170426_215638.jpg

roomiller and Dino944 like this.