• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been discussed, but I’m wondering how heretical it would be to opt for the Tank LC with quartz vs mechanical? I really like the yellow gold and think it might be nice to have a watch that - given it won’t be a daily and I like it primarily for its design - is just always going and enables a much wider service interval. Or… should I just get the mechanical in rose because, well, because it’s just a better movement? Thoughts?
Not going to weigh in on this specific question, but will share that I prefer a manual wind for my dress watch for the exact reason you mentioned. I wind it every day, so that it's ready when I need it to be. Then again, is it really that hard to set an automatic dress watch when you decide to wear it?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not going to weigh in on this specific question, but will share that I prefer a manual wind for my dress watch for the exact reason you mentioned. I wind it every day, so that it's ready when I need it to be. Then again, is it really that hard to set an automatic dress watch when you decide to wear it?
Narrow margins of difference are the backbone of this thread, though, so...yeah?

chocomallo

Reaction score
I've been thinking seriously of a picking up a Patek 5205G in the original two-tone silver dial recently. And it got me thinking about the overall direction of Patek as a brand. Personally, the 5205 and its brethren are for me the best recent Patek watches. They are modern yet timeless versions to me of what a Patek watch should be. Whereas watches that use the 96 style case or Breguet numerals, while beautiful, are uninteresting (having owned one that feature both). Same goes for a classic minute repeater. I'd rather have a futuristic JLC minute repeater similar in aesthetic to that JLC chrono another member posted a few pages back.

I think with some of the more recent Patek models like the 5522, 5226, or 6007, they've done OK, but none really feel like a truly modern version of a Patek to me. The 5226 is such a mishmash especially with that Clous de Paris midband. It's like Patek merged elements of the AP Code 11:59 (the octagon midband) with Hamilton numerals (joking, but not joking?).

Would appreciate thoughts from @Newcomer or any other Patek fans or owners. I think I can piece together where Foo will come out given his previous posting so no need to flame me, bud.

I don't think this same criticism applies to Rolex who unapologetically makes tiny changes year after year to great fanfare and lament.

chocomallo

Reaction score
With apologies to Mayakovsky.

View attachment 1809919
Nothing better than a communist poet lamenting Lenin's death to write ad copy that Rolex could use 100 years later. The copyright is almost certainly expired. But until the AD has a Rolex GMT available, I guess I will continue to be part of the Richemont trash attached to the side of the (Rolex/Patek) craft.

"People are boats although on land" is also a perfect riposte to the recent water resistance rating discussion.

Scuppers

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Doxa 600 collection - wearability is my concern, as it’s a chunky 14.15mm thick.
On the shortlist for a bum about watch for Uni.

chocomallo

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Doxa 600 collection - wearability is my concern, as it’s a chunky 14.15mm thick.
On the shortlist for a bum about watch for Uni.
Aren't you going to law school for fun? If Foo could survive law school in a Big Pilot, I think a Doxa will be OK. Apologies if I am remembering the wrong poaster.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wish the WR was a little higher for a daily wearer. The new ones, with the METAS certification, I would feel more comfortable with.

I actually thought the 1861 speedmaster was WR to 3 bar, not 5 bar, so I kind of take back my comment. I will stick with my comment re: the 5226.
Your comment caused me to google it and learned they test the water resistance with additional margin, so 50m is almost more like a minimum. All this hand-wringing about the rain or washing hands with the Speedy (at least a recent one) by Internet dorks is unbearable.
That said I'd probably still be a little too neurotic to jump into a pool with it because I'd worry about "accidentally" pushing the chrono buttons even though the chance of that would be so small.

chocomallo

Reaction score
Yup, that’s me.
Whether you end up practicing law or otherwise, you’ve got a talent for understatement. And fine taste In watches. If I recall you were also looking at that gorgeous Tank Normale with the bracelet. Good luck in your studies. Upon passing the bar or whatever it’s called in your jurisdiction, you can gleefully join the ranks of the many degenerate lawyers on this thread. Most of whom seemingly don’t work very hard. And I don’t even frequent other corners of this forum.

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nb2006