• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this isn’t really made for the “field” in any real way, but would it kill someone to make a field watch with a screw down crown and 100m WR?
You'd think serious waterproofing would be standard by now. Can only be beneficial especially when being outdoors and in, on, or around water. Although 50m is pretty good I think. Would handle most every "field" situation I can think of.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd think serious waterproofing would be standard by now. Can only be beneficial especially when being outdoors and in, on, or around water. Although 50m is pretty good I think. Would handle most every "field" situation I can think of.
I’d be ok with 50 and a screw down crown I guess. I want something I can go backpacking and fly fishing with (my watch is often submerged in the river).

In the end though,the best field watches are dive watches (timing bezel is hugely useful).

Scuppers

Reaction score
I know this isn’t really made for the “field” in any real way, but would it kill someone to make a field watch with a screw down crown and 100m WR?
Oh, well. What is real and what is practicable are very different soldiers.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very interested in Dornbluth when I got into this hobby, then kind of forgot about Dornbluth for the last decade or so. Not sure I would get one with where I am in collecting, but Dornbluth really has some fantastically balanced designs. Not the greatest photo, but it is crazy how hard it is to find a watch that is 38.5mm x 10mm with a perfectly balanced dial (i.e., no date) and with this amount of confidence:

DDORN.JPG

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least until sometime in the 1980s, 50M was standard on most Rolex except the Sub and SeaDweller. Think of how many DJ, GMTs, DDs, etc from the 1960s, 70's an 80's were worn for every activity and were regularly submerged in water and survived whatever they were subjected to. 50M particularly with a screw down crown is fine, although in modern times we have all gotten used to the idea of watches should be water resistant to 100 if they will have contact with water.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least until sometime in the 1980s, 50M was standard on most Rolex except the Sub and SeaDweller. Think of how many DJ, GMTs, DDs, etc from the 1960s, 70's an 80's were worn for every activity and were regularly submerged in water and survived whatever they were subjected to. 50M particularly with a screw down crown is fine, although in modern times we have all gotten used to the idea of watches should be water resistant to 100 if they will have contact with water.
Yeah, 50m is over 160ft so very unlikely that someone hiking, kayaking, boating, etc. would need even that much waterproofing. Still, more is usually better!

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been invited to a brand event by an AD? I got invited to one and I don't know what to expect or even what to do there. I like looking at watches, so I accepted.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 50m is over 160ft so very unlikely that someone hiking, kayaking, boating, etc. would need even that much waterproofing. Still, more is usually better!
I agree with @smittycl (and agree with what @Dino944 said).

I do not care how the watches are rated, I just want to be able to get pushed in the pool and not expect a massive repair bill. In short, I want an everyday watch to be everyday-life-proof (i.e., I refused to take a watch off if I'm washing my hands).

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carmainemichaud