• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look forward to watching this. I like Adrian's videos (also, he seems like a really decent guy).

My one bugaboo: I always find the emphasis on Roger Smith to be a little odd. What he is doing is very, very cool. However, the imperfections in the watches kind of drive me crazy.

Lovely watches, and I appreciate his perspective, but I find it a pretty niche product.
Adrian defines his own concept of "luxury" in part by how niche the product (and leaves open the idea that will mean different things to different people, etc...)

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents.

Original Porsche Design Driver's chronograph from the mid 70s. Valjoux 7750 movement. It has lots of... Uh, patina?

I was gonna send it to superior watch in NYC a decade ago. Was $650 to restore. I was lazy. It's now close to a grand for the job. Meh, just wear it.

Paid $125 for it at an estate liquidator in like 2000 or so.
20201117_155530.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents.

Original Porsche Design Driver's chronograph from the mid 70s. Valjoux 7750 movement. It has lots of... Uh, patina?

I was gonna send it to superior watch in NYC a decade ago. Was $650 to restore. I was lazy. It's now close to a grand for the job. Meh, just wear it.

Paid $125 for it at an estate liquidator in like 2000 or so.
View attachment 1808686
That thing is thrashed. I love it!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, aesthetics are very personal. While the design works, it isn't my first choice. However, I tend to favor dark dials anyway. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide!
Always appreciate your perspective and response. Most thoughtful guy of the thread, right here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, something of a thought exercise - and one that I have not fully considered.

What is the next watch that you are planning to buy?

What is the watch that you would buy next if the market looked, say, how it looked 10 years ago?
The current shortlist stands at: new ND Submariner, rose gold Cartier Tank LC, silver dial JLC MUT Moon

If we’re talking about a hypothetical world where the market/prices are what they were 10 years ago: I’d take a realistic shot at a MSRP black dial Daytona, a white gold Patek 5196, or a rose gold A Lange 1815

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A reminder that HA makes more than the Kurono.

Scuppers

Reaction score
I’m in the industry. My $0.02. Buy the nicest pair of speakers you can buy, definitely no more than $10k pair, a lot of really great stuff at $2k and nice stuff around $1k and and a reasonably priced amplifier with adequate power to drive them. Most everything higher price levels is buying with your eyes. There is a huge law of diminishing returns going with audio equipment…way worse than watches.
Interesting to read that. Generally have always paired B&Ws with Rotel, but having heard LINNs recent and Spendors recent, considering jumping to one of them with Macintosh.

Southeasterly

Reaction score
Audio is a much better way to waste money than watches. I studied loudspeaker design in college until it became clear there was no money in it unless you were selling snake oil. Read DIY audio forums if you want to learn.

Now on to Seamaster doing things by the sea in Laguna.
2028F573-1175-413F-B622-AF7BBDD45859.jpeg

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
With HiFi I stay away from the forums and try to trust my ears. Just now listening to an Aurender HD play the DSD version of Bill Evans’s Waltz for Debby into a CH Precision amp and SF Serafino speakers

Scuppers

Reaction score
Audio is a much better way to waste money than watches. I studied loudspeaker design in college until it became clear there was no money in it unless you were selling snake oil. Read DIY audio forums if you want to learn.

Now on to Seamaster doing things by the sea in Laguna.
View attachment 1808957
Which seamaster is this? Particularly nice

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Has134