• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the next watch that you are planning to buy?
Probably an Explorer or Speedmaster. One is obviously more readily obtainable than the other at retail. After having tried on a Santos when I was in the Bahamas a month ago, I can't rule that out either, but I'm more likely to stick with my original plan.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, something of a thought exercise - and one that I have not fully considered.

What is the next watch that you are planning to buy?

What is the watch that you would buy next if the market looked, say, how it looked 10 years ago?
I'll play:

Next watch, a Panerai PAM510. A friend who works at Hodinkee is looking for a mint one for me with B&P.

Time machine purchase: Rolex Daytona, SS, white face

PS: I've pretty much worn an early 90's SS Sub daily since '94. I traded a 1959 Gretsch 6119 guitar for it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar that
Yes they are. Although from a purely financial perspective the Sub is worth more than 2X the value of the vintage Gretsch even though both watches and vintage guitars have seen a huge rise in value in the last few years. When I did the trade, they were pretty much even.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. What about opinions on whether or not it's aesthetically a good idea?
Well, aesthetics are very personal. While the design works, it isn't my first choice. However, I tend to favor dark dials anyway. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide!

pmeis

Reaction score
Left of field: any hifi forums you’d recommend. Rather behind.
I’m in the industry. My $0.02. Buy the nicest pair of speakers you can buy, definitely no more than $10k pair, a lot of really great stuff at $2k and nice stuff around $1k and and a reasonably priced amplifier with adequate power to drive them. Most everything higher price levels is buying with your eyes. There is a huge law of diminishing returns going with audio equipment…way worse than watches.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I particularly like the "mainstream luxury" vs "connoisseur lux" breakdown...

Look forward to watching this. I like Adrian's videos (also, he seems like a really decent guy).

My one bugaboo: I always find the emphasis on Roger Smith to be a little odd. What he is doing is very, very cool. However, the imperfections in the watches kind of drive me crazy.

Lovely watches, and I appreciate his perspective, but I find it a pretty niche product.

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Humber