• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scuppers

Reaction score
Curious if any of you good people have changed any of your watch-related “plans” and/or general attitudes about the “hobby” as a direct result of present bleak conditions in financial markets, geo-politics, domestic horror (Americans), etc...?

For example, I had been on a this-and-then-this-and-then-this sort of collection building mission that lately seems...pretty lame (it was always trivial, but the mood has maybe turned?). I don’t know...
Collection building stopped a longtime ago, more about can I bear to part with any? Have several ‘Hot’ watches that the market would eat up at ridiculous profit to me - do I want to go there for a quick buck? Not really. However, definitely for some, the time has come. As to actively doing anything about it…
I suppose the collection building statement wasn’t entirely true, there are 2 or 3 I’m considering/would like.
🤷‍♂️

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Original, beautiful and works better on the right wrist with that subdial. Thanks for the post!

@chocomallo your fav brand
Your observations are absolutely on the mark. I have been smitten by Chopard's craftsmanship for a while.. they are a well kept swiss secret IMO. Not for long.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What independents is everyone watching?
Take it with a grain of salt .. None.
Now may be the time to look for watches/materials that nobody wants to touch. Not the Indies but the RG/Platinum pieces sitting idle on shelves because everyone wants an Indie in Ti/Steel at a premium. Much like a lot of late cycle IPOs, I see a crop of Indies showing up to the party and well established Indies throwing out pieces with third party movements trying to make a quick buck.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it with a grain of salt .. None.
Now may be the time to look for watches/materials that nobody wants to touch. Not the Indies but the RG/Platinum pieces sitting idle on shelves because everyone wants an Indie in Ti/Steel at a premium. Much like a lot of late cycle IPOs, I see a crop of Indies showing up to the party and well established Indies throwing out pieces with third party movements trying to make a quick buck.
Which established indies are you talking about with 3P movements?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw this on IG. Might have opted for something like this over JLC if Rolex still made one so clean looking. I did want a leather strap, though.

0447B418-2644-4D93-BC51-CE64BA3EDEF6.jpeg

Schwazer

Reaction score
I enjoy the photos of old school mountaineers with the Rolex OysterQuartz Datejust.

The greats Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Where do you usually take inspiration for your style? Choose up to 3 answers

• Styleforum & other menswear forums

• Instagram

• TikTok

• Reddit

• Fashion Magazines

• Fashion Blogs