• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if any of you good people have changed any of your watch-related “plans” and/or general attitudes about the “hobby” as a direct result of present bleak conditions in financial markets, geo-politics, domestic horror (Americans), etc...?

For example, I had been on a this-and-then-this-and-then-this sort of collection building mission that lately seems...pretty lame (it was always trivial, but the mood has maybe turned?). I don’t know...
Yes. My wife and I were excited to go into our AD to try on the Cartiers we had settled on getting soon, but after the recent events, life seems a lot bleaker now. That kind of purchase seems selfish and overindulgent at the moment. Our daughter is 8 months old, and frankly, I'm scared to send her to school. So now maybe the watch money will go elsewhere...

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. My wife and I were excited to go into our AD to try on the Cartiers we had settled on getting soon, but after the recent events, life seems a lot bleaker now. That kind of purchase seems selfish and overindulgent at the moment. Our daughter is 8 months old, and frankly, I'm scared to send her to school. So now maybe the watch money will go elsewhere...
home schoooooooooooool!

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
Curious if any of you good people have changed any of your watch-related “plans” and/or general attitudes about the “hobby” as a direct result of present bleak conditions in financial markets, geo-politics, domestic horror (Americans), etc...?
I am waiting a bit to see if used prices tank, in which case I'll buy up all the pieces I've wanted but previously felt were overpriced. My original plan was to go for a Logical1 this quarter but with everything tanking, I think I'll wait to see if I can find one used at a good price. My assumption is that a lot of independents come down in pricing significantly on the used market and the mainstream stuff comes off the highs too?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I have my first in-person court hearing since Covid. I’m dusting off my PP 5170 since it is what I use with business suits. Caffeine provided by Sump Coffee.
View attachment 1796758
Linen dress shirt under wool hopsack jacket? Very professional look.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen dress shirt under wool hopsack jacket? Very professional look.
No, no, no. I am well versed in the FNB v. Vox debate on hopsack suits. The suit is not hopsack but rather made from the fabulous (but lamentably discontinued) Rangoon bunch. In my opinion it is the best summer business suit fabric. I am awaiting a length of the new LL summer suiting so we’ll see if that opinion changes.

You are correct on the shirting. It is Carlo Riva Lino Arsenal which is a linen-cotton blend.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the Richemont bois drink simp coffee.
That’s very funny. I like it.

BTW, if you ever took up our in-common tailor on his coffee offer, you may have had Sump. I bought him a few bags and he then started by-mail delivery of Sump.

Featured Sponsor

Where do you usually take inspiration for your style? Choose up to 3 answers

• Styleforum & other menswear forums

• Instagram

• TikTok

• Reddit

• Fashion Magazines

• Fashion Blogs

• Friends & Acquaintances

• Celebrities/influencers

• TV Shows & Movies

Results are only viewable after voting.