• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Timing the market to fund a Disney trip
Nice. Is he a mod on r/Wallstreetbets?

This looks awesome.

Weren't you in the Army?

I like them too. Have one on my old super peasant beater SKX.

Trigger warning: cheap watch

He is probably CIA now, good thing it pays expensive watches and booze. :-D

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like consumers will trade down if they can't get what they actually want.

Yes, and they will start threads on WUS and elsewhere about why that watch is actually better than the Rolex they really wanted, "once I did my research". Not that everyone automatically wants a Rolex, but you see a lot of people "settling" for something like a Breitling, Omega and then trying to backwards justify it. Maybe comes from a place of wanting the watch as a status symbol more than anything else.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and they will start threads on WUS and elsewhere about why that watch is actually better than the Rolex they really wanted, "once I did my research". Not that everyone automatically wants a Rolex, but you see a lot of people "settling" for something like a Breitling, Omega and then trying to backwards justify it. Maybe comes from a place of wanting the watch as a status symbol more than anything else.
I mean, isn’t the purpose of the internet for people to document how the thing they own/do/think is unequivocally correct and everything else is laughably wrong?

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100%, essentially every reddit or WUS thread where someone bought a GS or an Omega will have someone bringing up out of the blue "I'd happily take this over any Rolex"

Endless copium

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
100%, essentially every reddit or WUS thread where someone bought a GS or an Omega will have someone bringing up out of the blue "I'd happily take this over any Rolex"

Endless copium
I honestly only like vintage Rolexes with the acrylic crystals. Sapphire has shattered on me so many times…

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would happily take an Omega over a Rolex for certain models but not for all.
But it's not really about whether you would or not, more about the fact that some people constantly feel the need to bring it up out of the blue in a thread about a completely unrelated watch like they have some kind of chip on their shoulder. Should be able to appreciate a watch from another brand without comparing it to Rolex.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the fact that some people constantly feel the need to bring it up out of the blue in a thread about a completely unrelated watch like they have some kind of chip on their shoulder.
Just like people who say “Duke is the Harvard of the South” makes it painfully clear that their salty about not getting into Harvard.

n.b. this observation is from someone who wasn’t smart enough to get into Duke let alone Harvard

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread delivers with a copium reference

tbh I would like an Explorer 2.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone looking at a $35k watch falls under the definition of normal.

Omega ultimately switched from the 321 to the 861 series purely as a cost saving measure. It's still a good movement in the $6k to $7k price bracket but when you step up over $30k other gold sports chronos with similar price tags (e.g., the Daytona or Zenith) use more advanced movements with proper clutches instead of cams.
Yeah totally get it. It’s the principle of the thing for you.
For me it’s just different priorities. Will the cam clutch ever fail me in daily use? Like, ever? it’s one of those diminishing returns things to me. is the clutch 5% better? I significantly prefer the speedy to those other watches for other reasons so the watch nerd argument about cam vs clutch is just about meaningless to me.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just like people who say “Duke is the Harvard of the South” makes it painfully clear that their salty about not getting into Harvard.

n.b. this observation is from someone who wasn’t smart enough to get into Duke let alone Harvard
Frankly, I’ve always avoided anything labeled “____ of the South.” Sound policy. I mean, apart from Duke’s Mayonnaise of course.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know you live in the south, though, right?
Virginia is the next California. They just don’t know it yet.

Knocked out 15 miles on bike so far and realized it’s very hot. A Guinness at The Dubliner to the rescue!

B70BE1F6-2B07-40DB-9A34-BFD6F833DC27.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfreezerrepair