• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Separately - if we go back to the old days, of not gifting your AD a bottle of wine to entice him or her to allow you to buy a watch for full price, it’s going to be a blood bath.

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok silly question at this point, but it seems like folks here are good at getting discounts from retail prices at ADs. How does one ask for that? This would be our first watch purchase at a local AD, and it would be for 2 Cartiers at the same time. Hoping to start a relationship, but not necessarily.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok silly question at this point, but it seems like folks here are good at getting discounts from retail prices at ADs. How does one ask for that? This would be our first watch purchase at a local AD, and it would be for 2 Cartiers at the same time. Hoping to start a relationship, but not necessarily.
I was a bit hesitant but after visiting my JLC AD a few times I went back to buy a Master Control Date. When going back the last time I asked what was the best price they could offer and he gave 10% off immediately. It did feel weird even bringing it up.

I hate haggling and bought the watch on the spot.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my employees would take his wife and 2 kids to Disney every year. He would always watch the price of Amazon stock around the time he was booking everything because he would need to sell a few shares each year to fund the trip. Poor guy was blowing his retirement taking them every year.
Timing the market to fund a Disney trip
Nice. Is he a mod on r/Wallstreetbets?
I've had mine on the strap for a few weeks. May have to put the bracelet back on for a bit. It's such a versatile piece.

View attachment 1793862
This looks awesome.
Never in to artificial realities or being trapped in one company's domain
Weren't you in the Army?
I'm a big fan of the Chevron straps from Crown & Buckle. Single pass and adjustable, so you get the nato look without all the extra bulk of the strap end folding back in. This is one of the new matte ones:

View attachment 1793936
I like them too. Have one on my old super peasant beater SKX.

Trigger warning: cheap watch

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timing the market to fund a Disney trip
Nice. Is he a mod on r/Wallstreetbets?

This looks awesome.

Weren't you in the Army?

I like them too. Have one on my old super peasant beater SKX.

Trigger warning: cheap watch

Ugh.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Separately - if we go back to the old days, of not gifting your AD a bottle of wine to entice him or her to allow you to buy a watch for full price, it’s going to be a blood bath.
At the fancy AD in Cincinnati—ichter and Philips—the SA dude Keith told me a regular joe got a “Batman” GMT by sending him Batman themed greeting cards once a month (or maybe more, I don’t remember) for months and months.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the brushed gold. I'm not sure how crazy I am about the dial against gold and for $35k it would be nice to have the 321 over the cam actuated 3861, though I know their gold 321 releases have had laughable price tags
As a religious man, it is instructive to interact with “WISes” to understand cults and why people outside the group perceive them as such—and how to avoid that pitfall with normal people.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked out this guy while popping in to the AD.

View attachment 1794108

The blue is pretty wild, and I like it much more in person then I thought I would.

I wish there were more classically sized dress watches in 36mm and 37mm at an attainable price point.
At at glance I thought you were checking out a watch while pooping at your AD...

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a religious man, it is instructive to interact with “WISes” to understand cults and why people outside the group perceive them as such—and how to avoid that pitfall with normal people.
I don't think anyone looking at a $35k watch falls under the definition of normal.

Omega ultimately switched from the 321 to the 861 series purely as a cost saving measure. It's still a good movement in the $6k to $7k price bracket but when you step up over $30k other gold sports chronos with similar price tags (e.g., the Daytona or Zenith) use more advanced movements with proper clutches instead of cams.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phineastheblob